Thread: Being a newbie

Smile Being a newbie

Hey guys.

I just wanted to say, I noticed there's a real consious effort to make the game a lot easier to pick up and play for any new player, hence my coming here and put some feedback on that note (I hope I picked the right forum section!).

I joined Istaria around a week ago, and my Sslik is quite fun to play and I'm enjoying his Sslik regeneration racial buff, very... very useful. Something I think that probably goes really well with being a Warrior, to give me alot more staying power.

1) The opening quests and dialogs are very good from the starter NPC's, however I did find that initially chat windows were hidden... So as far as I was concerned, the NPC's were simply not talking to me. Whether this was my mistake or not, I think this could be better handled - i.e a notice to say you have turned of NPC chat window or something. Otherwise I could have given up rather quickly (I was persistant because I found how to join chat channels quite quickly - thanks those in New Player chat!)

2) The Warrior chain quest that leads you upto the deadlands, in a penaultamet fight with Urgat.

I can honestly say, even with the Sslik regeneration buff... the Skeleton Raiders (Warrior types) that roam the main entrance to the Deadlands in NT were simply too powerful.
    Wearing best plate armor purchasable, and best warhammer (crushing damage) with fire enchant from a quest. Combined with being a whole level higher with them. It seemed really odd that these monsters were so difficult and I was the same class as them, repeatedly dieing.

More suprising was, if you managed to get into the Deadlands the Skeletal Defenders were WEAKER than the Skeletal Raiders outside the Deadlands.

In terms of scaled difficulty I think it dramatically needs changing, as I was at a dead end in terms of quests to go onto next (I wanted to do everything in NT before moving onwards elsewhere such as Kion).

3) It didn't seem quite clear to start with that I needed to greet a certain NPC in each town to unlock the towns portal - perhaps my own fault.

Anyway, the game is great, I just thought it prudent to tell you guys, how I have found the game :-)

Default Re: Being a newbie

Thanks for the feedback.

#1 is odd because I haven't had that happen. You should by default have the proper settings for NPC dialog to appear. I'll make it a point of going back and testing the tutorial again on Blight.

#2 is actually by design. The Deadlands quests on New Trismus are not meant to be easy to solo. In fact, the NPCs recommend that you get friends to help because of the difficulty.

#3 Mention is made at various points about this. For example, one of the quests that sends you from Kion to Parsinia and to Sslanis recommends you attune. We'll see what we can do to make it even clearer.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Hello and welcome on Istaria, Phoxytwicks, I hope you'll enjoy the game and the community. If you join Order, you can poke me when I am on, my name is the same than here.

Welcome, Phoxytwicks...

Use the New Player channel; quite a few "older" players are there, and can give advice or suggestions...and, often, direct assistance. A lot of us "not-quite-new-but-not-quite-old" players still keep that channel open, as well, and most of us are more than happy to offer assistance.

Speaking as one of those latter players, I think you'll find that there are a number of quests similar to the Urgat one: you'll need some help. No shame in that; most of us needed help, too! Istaria really has been set up, it seems, to promote cooperation between players (which, if you learn the lore of Istaria, makes sense, since all of us are actually fighting a common enemy).

And, if you can't find another naka to help, pop in to Dragon channel...someone there will be happy to help...or, eat you.....
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Thread Information