Thread: "Failed to create directories" (Launcher)

Default "Failed to create directories" (Launcher)

So, its been awhile since I've played, and finally I got an opportunity when nobody else is using the internet to update the game, and I try to launch the game, and as soon as I choose a character to log in with, it tries to download the master file list, and then an error pops up saying:

"Error: Failed to create directories"

And then it closes.

Blah.

How do I fix this? Apparently you can't run .jar scripts as administrator, so that's out.

What else do I do?

Edit: Also, apparently, checking the "save password" box doesn't work; I still have to type in my username/password each time I load the launcher.
    Last edited by Dhalin; September 20th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Default Re: "Failed to create directories" (Launcher)

Windows Vista or Windows 7?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Windows 7 SP1

blah blah message minimum limit blah

Can you run jlauncher.exe as administrator?

Can you run a command prompt as administrator? (cd to the istaria directory and java -jar launcher.jar)

Was this ever solved, as it's the same problem I'm having with the new launcher? I'm on Win 7 with whatever the latest service pack is. I've not tried it with my Win XP machine yet.

I don't seem to have the option to run it as administrator.

I can still log in using the other launcher, so it's not a major issue for me.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Ditto here! Win7 Home Premium, not sure which service pack, no right-click-menu option to run JavaLauncherII.jar as admin. Running jlauncher.exe as admin has everything running just fine, so I'm patched and can play as I like, but I can't use JavaLauncherII.jar to accomplish anything.

You'll need to run jlauncher.exe, which will automatically request administrative permission so that the launcher will be able to patch your game install.

If for some reason you have an older install without jlauncher.exe, or your jlauncher is an older version, just run the Launcher Upgrade from the download page: http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/download

For anyone interested in the details:
    • jlauncher.exe starts itself up and requests administrative privilege. It's also digitally signed for antivirus / internet security apps that block unsigned apps.
    • Since jlauncher.exe now has administrative privilege, when it runs java (java.exe -jar launcher.jar), the java process will also inherit the proper privilege.
    • since java.exe (running launcher.jar) has administrative privilege, istaria.exe will also have the proper privilege and be able to write game and character preferences, as well as world cache to disk.

If you're wanting to run JavaLauncherII.jar, you'll need to start it from the command line, until an updated jlauncher.exe is released. Open a command prompt as administrator, type in (java.exe -jar JavaLauncherII.jar)
    Last edited by Yfelvik; April 26th, 2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add instructions for JavaLauncherII.jar

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    If you're wanting to run JavaLauncherII.jar, you'll need to start it from the command line, until an updated jlauncher.exe is released. Open a command prompt as administrator, type in (java.exe -jar JavaLauncherII.jar)
    Ah, I shall just leave it for now then rather than mess about with bringing up a command line to type it in. The regular jlauncher is working fine for me so I'll be content with that. It might not be as pretty, but it does the job

Thank you for the answer.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Thread Information