Thread: No XP for Preparing

Default No XP for Preparing

Seems I found a bug or something.
    Just prepared some bluegill fillet and I received 0 XP saying "You did not receive experience for making this item because the skill(s) used to do so are not primary skills of your current school." I an in Confectioner school and the skill preparing is attached to confectioner school.

Default Re: Game Bugs

Confectioner is a primary skill leveling school, similar to lairshapers not getting exp for crystal making.

Gatherers get exp for preparing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Confectioner is a primary skill leveling school, similar to lairshapers not getting exp for crystal making.

Gatherers get exp for preparing.
    MMMMM.... no XP for a cook for cooking... interesting.
    How does 1 is supose to guess that anyway?
    Then that is the error, it should show it under the school it gives XP to. Like all of the other skills.
    I switched to Confectioner because it said Preparing was under that school. If it had said Gatherer then I would have switched to Gatherer and not waste all that XP.
    Lairshaper part is cause there was suppose to be a crystal school... or so the explanation I heard was at the time. Though in that case you get no XP in any school.
    thanks Creme.

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    MMMMM.... no XP for a cook for cooking... interesting.
    How does 1 is supose to guess that anyway?
    Then that is the error, it should show it under the school it gives XP to. Like all of the other skills.
    I switched to Confectioner because it said Preparing was under that school. If it had said Gatherer then I would have switched to Gatherer and not waste all that XP.
    Lairshaper part is cause there was suppose to be a crystal school... or so the explanation I heard was at the time. Though in that case you get no XP in any school.
    thanks Creme.
    Negative, that is not a bug. Confectioner gains Preparing so that you can work resources while in the school. Gatherer also gains Preparing and you will gain XP while in it and preparing foods.

Crystalshaping skill is a part of Lairshaper because they needed a way to work crystal, not because there was supposed to be a Crystalshaper school.

The Primary Skill system works by giving one single skill to a school and that is the main one they gain XP with. Lairshaper = Lairshaping, Confectioner = Cooking, etc. I know it can be confusing since not all schools use it, but it is not a bug or in error.

The one thing to know is that in schools that use the primary skill system the bulk of the XP is set up in the final step. So, in Lairshaper you gain the most XP for creating the final step of materials for your lairs and for applying those to lair chambers. In Confectioner, you gain the most XP for making the foods themselves rather than any other lesser steps.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I get the primary skill XP system, just that it’s very confusing the way it’s setup.
    Though you can work any skill no matter what school you are in, right? Just don’t get XP if you are in the “wrong” school.

When I saw Preparing under Confectioner I switched to that school, to me and pretty sure I am not the only one, it meant the XP was in that school.

Are there other skills that are set up that way? I mean listed in a school in the Character Skill window but don't give XP to that school?

Thanks Amon.

Default Re: No XP for Preparing

I'm only a dragon, but while a Lairshaper, I can still do anything I could do as a crafter, including making dragonscales. I just get no XP for doing so. I can see how it would work in a similar way for the biped classes. While a class might raise a gather type skill, just to keep up, the more specialized classes only award for finished goods. I would think that as a gatherer class, you would only get XP for gathering, and preparing, not making finished goods. Havent really tested this though.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Negative, that is not a bug. Confectioner gains Preparing so that you can work resources while in the school. Gatherer also gains Preparing and you will gain XP while in it and preparing foods.

Crystalshaping skill is a part of Lairshaper because they needed a way to work crystal, not because there was supposed to be a Crystalshaper school.

The Primary Skill system works by giving one single skill to a school and that is the main one they gain XP with. Lairshaper = Lairshaping, Confectioner = Cooking, etc. I know it can be confusing since not all schools use it, but it is not a bug or in error.

The one thing to know is that in schools that use the primary skill system the bulk of the XP is set up in the final step. So, in Lairshaper you gain the most XP for creating the final step of materials for your lairs and for applying those to lair chambers. In Confectioner, you gain the most XP for making the foods themselves rather than any other lesser steps.
    My confectioner is level 26 and my gatherer is level 19. I am not receiving any experience on gatherer for food preparation. In gatherer school, I trimmed chicken, made vinegar, marinated beef, and received 0 experience for these tasks!

As a level 20 armorer on a different character, I still received experience for making bronze bars, though it is minimal experience, it is still experience!

Why does a level 19 gatherer not receive experience for food preparation????!!
    Chaos: Delite, Delicat, Delectable, Delikit, Delish & Deetara~Blight: DeeDee

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

Your Preparing skill at this particular point is coming from your Confectioner, not your Gatherer. You will need to be making T2 foods in order to receive experience if you want to grow as a Gatherer.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Your Preparing skill at this particular point is coming from your Confectioner, not your Gatherer. You will need to be making T2 foods in order to receive experience if you want to grow as a Gatherer.
    That still doesn't make sense.

A level 26 blacksmith still makes a little XP from smelting bronze bars, last I checked.
    A level 26 confectioner should still get a little XP from preparing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Even the foods prepared toward the T2 food recipes aren't counting as preparation experience. This is so totally whacked!

For example, the Main: Beef Hash Pie is minimum skill of 300 and calls for marinated beef, sliced potatoes and sliced carrots. Preparation of any 1 of those ingredients will be 0 experience!

A mason gets experience from sandstone bricks until level 40, a fitter gets experience from bronze bars until level 40, same holds true for weaver and enchanter. Why should preparation be so extremely different??

Why are some formulas called "advanced" when they are for level 100 foods meaning "less effective if rating is over 20".

If the 300 levels foods like the Beef Hash Pie call for such low level food preparation why in the world is it level 300 and not 100??!

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

Because Confectioner uses the Primary skill system and so you ONLY get experience when using the Cooking skill. If you want to gain XP for using Preparation, you must switch to Gatherer.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Delite View Post
    My confectioner is level 26 and my gatherer is level 19. I am not receiving any experience on gatherer for food preparation. In gatherer school, I trimmed chicken, made vinegar, marinated beef, and received 0 experience for these tasks!

As a level 20 armorer on a different character, I still received experience for making bronze bars, though it is minimal experience, it is still experience!

Why does a level 19 gatherer not receive experience for food preparation????!!
    What I asked before :/ Why does a level 19 gatherer not receive experience for food preparation????!!

Quote Originally Posted by Delite View Post
    What I asked before :/ Why does a level 19 gatherer not receive experience for food preparation????!!
    Probably because a level 19 Gatherer has 190 skill in Preparing and the skill range for Sliced Potatos is 1-100. So you've likely exceeded the point at which you will gain XP for making those products any longer. You need to move to something more difficult that is tiered such as Fish, Seafood, Doughs, or other of that sort. Or, do something that isn't related to food with Gatherer to level, such as making logs, paper, hides, etc.

Unless your preparing skill is even higher (such as through gains in confectioner) and then you would definitely gain no XP without using higher tier resources.

When looking for something that will provide me with preparation experience, I figured out I would receive experience for trimmed gruok, but when I checked my recipes to find out how I could use the gruok in cooking, I found this oddity:

I cannot scribe Rare Garnish: Rosemary until my preparation skill is 600, yet the Rubbed Rosemary used in the recipe is only for cooking skill 200-325.

Other Oddities:
    If I use the trimmed gruok flank in Blackened Gruok Steak or Ariadni's Gruok Sausage, the recipe is only for cooking skill 1-100. So while I'd get experience for preparing the flanks, I'd get none for cooking.

I could make Sausage with preparing skill 100-200 to use up those trimmed gruok flanks but oh my! I would need trimmed beef flanks and chopped onions (0 preparation skill for both of those items) and I have no cooking recipe that uses Sausage. I have all the basic and advance recipes for the beginner levels.

from my exp i would not bother counting any prep exp since most of the time it is too little to measure..just keep cooking and only gather and prep stuff in gatherer and cook in confectionary..once you fill stores with items the confectionary gets good exp just making the foods.

Lillyjo

Thread Information