Thread: Can't hit anything

Default Can't hit anything

Yeah, just got to get this out there and rant, maybe someone can point out to me what is wrong...

So, I'm running around in the Spiritous Swamp with my 77 Shaman (Rating 99, so not out of my league) and I'm finding that I have great difficulty killing anything. I'm here for tech comps and trophies, so kind of required to be down here. Anyways, I find that I can go for 7 or 8 castings of Imp Lightning Bolt 4 without landing a single hit. Figure that my nature skill is low enough, so I decide to switch over to Paladin and just slaughter my way to the comps and trophies.

So, I switch over and get geared up. My 2HS is 1229, my strength is 1300 and my dex is 776. I've got the Zealot in hand, fight a couple of easy mobs elsewhere to remember the attack patterns. Ok, go to the swamp. There's a Shrunken Purple Weaver, level 83. It's 17 levels below me, but has comps and trophies I want. Let's kill it.

You have missed.
    You have missed.
    You have missed.
    You hit for 200 damage.
    You have missed.

Ok...What is going on here...Let's try a multistrike...
    Four mssed and a hit. Ok, how about Cleave...
    Miss. Ok, Melee Flurry, then debuff it's dex...Oh, those spells missed too...And 3 out of four melee flurry attacks are missing...What is going on, maybe it's a spider thing.

Nope. Gruoks, Skulks, Weavers, Ogres. I'm missing all of these enemies about 65% of the time. Same goes for spells, debuffs, abilities. Petrify, Thunder Cloud, Shocking Blast. Can't hit anything. I'm burning Critical Strike, Multistrike and Cleave, sometimes even Sslik regeneration on trash mobs 10-15 levels lower than me. This is frustrating, and sure isn't much fun.
    Last edited by Velea; September 24th, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Default Re: Can't hit anything

Mobs got buffed. Lots of. You need to trace back and see the changes made to mobs as well as various spells/abilities for multiclassing. From my take, crafting and dragons have been seeing good changes, as to so much more of Istaria. For biped multiclassing, no. Pretty much everything got stomped.
    Last edited by Phillip; September 24th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.

I'm not happy with the fighting mechanics of this game either. I feel I'm pigeon holed into casting thunder cloud or shocking blast then dumping my 3 main melee abilites while mob is stunned. I get so many misses/evades from my attacks and it's sad since I have 1600 dex 2000 stre and 1800 2handslash.

And such is what happens when the uber elite people in a game go crying about "THIS IS TOO EZ!!!" then mobs get buffed to where the rest of the 90% of the playerbase can't kill anything.

I've a feeling I need to check my dragon here soon. If I go out and I'm missing this much on mobs near my level I'll likely cancel my subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaken View Post
    I'm not happy with the fighting mechanics of this game either. I feel I'm pigeon holed into casting thunder cloud or shocking blast then dumping my 3 main melee abilites while mob is stunned. I get so many misses/evades from my attacks and it's sad since I have 1600 dex 2000 stre and 1800 2handslash.
    How did you get your stats that high? Pretty awesome, dude.

Ssil, forgive me if my answer sounds very blue-eyed, cause I never played a biped and do not know much about that.

But did you try flame/ice attack? Or ask a friendly drag for primal attack?
    Do you know the newset techs? You know/got that legendary ice tech only lvl 100 tinkerers can get?

My biped friends still kill all and everything- and make serious damage at the bosses (2 play Pala).

And Dhalin- no worry- well trained and eqipped drags hit/kill everything.
    Do not forget to use primal attack if you miss. Use the winds.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

From what I can read you have chosen the mob type which probably has the highest evasive skill of all mobs. Spiders have been evading my attacks for a long time, the only mob type that is worse for me personally are the Mylocs (all types).
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Not just spiders though, Gruok, Skulks and Ogres are doing the same. Due to some T6 jewelry I've managed to get my hit rate up to about 50%, but I still get 8 or more misses in a row against a level 80 dire wolf. What is someone just getting to level 80 supposed to do? I'm not asking for easy street, and I can win because of HP and hitting very hard when I do connect. But there is no reason for missing that often on a mob so much lower level than I am, nor that it takes T5 gear supplemented with T6 items just to fight low T5 mobs.

Hmm, I was about to leave for work when I posted my first response on this thread (I'll admit it was a little hasty, not something I like to read just when I'm trying to come back to the game), but now that I've more time to read...

Could you post screenshots of your stats n such, along with battle logs?

Maybe there's something you're doing wrong.

"How did you get your stats that high? Pretty awesome, dude."

all TP's in stre and 2hs, the new jewelry sets and lvl100 stat xstals in armor and jewelry along with armor teched with stre and 2hs. I can cast enhances and the new t6 weapon. That's where I get my stats and not including pots, eating xstals and the food buffs from festival grounds. I pride my self on being the best 2hand slash reaver i can be. Having said that, having some low lvl mob evade all my attacks is stupid. Uber elites have there challenges from the beserkers of the daknor variety. Not to mention the doom mobs. It's the low lvl mobs that evade me like the spiders near Aug. I pee more damage then their hp's and they evade like mad.

ohh, lvl 100 Beserker too.
    Last edited by Riaken; September 26th, 2011 at 03:53 AM.

Really sounds like you've got something wonky on your character, Ssilmath. Spiders and Skulks do have the highest evasion in the game, but Ogres and Pygmies are quite low. Almost 50% lower than Spiders/Skulks.

And spells, which test against Magic Defense not Evasion, for Spiders is about 50% lower than their evasion.

Btw, Strength has far less to do with your to-hit than Dexterity. It does slightly affect your weapon skill, but much less than Dex.

Dhalin, many of these mobs haven't had their statistics changed since 2004/2005. Names and resistances have changed in many cases, but resistance is only calculated once you hit as it works like armor. And almost no mobs in the game use Wards.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I only have 1400 dex

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Really sounds like you've got something wonky on your character, Ssilmath. Spiders and Skulks do have the highest evasion in the game, but Ogres and Pygmies are quite low. Almost 50% lower than Spiders/Skulks.

And spells, which test against Magic Defense not Evasion, for Spiders is about 50% lower than their evasion.

Btw, Strength has far less to do with your to-hit than Dexterity. It does slightly affect your weapon skill, but much less than Dex.

Dhalin, many of these mobs haven't had their statistics changed since 2004/2005. Names and resistances have changed in many cases, but resistance is only calculated once you hit as it works like armor. And almost no mobs in the game use Wards.
    As I said (and apologized for), I kinda reacted with a knee-jerk reaction... I know there's probably _hundreds_ of changes made since I last played, so I was kinda "eeeh" but then I stepped back and said "wait a minute..."

And yeah, that's why I suggested he post a screenshot of his stat/TP allocation screens. There's got to be something weird going on.

Heck, I remember as a dragon, fighting spiders equal to my level, sure, I missed but not that much. I'd say, what, 30-40% miss rate? If even that? Or when I took my Warrior just recently to fight a few wolves hoping for trophy drops, I'm like 1-3 levels above those wolves and I saw a similar hit rate, and I have very little TP in dex at all, and next-to-no enchanted (tech'd) gear. But then that's only T3, but still.

Ok, just did an experiment. Recorded the fights against 2 Purple Weavers and 1 Weaker Ravenous Bloodsnout.

Against Weaver 1 (Level 88) - 7 Spells cast - 3 hit and 4 miss : 49 melee attacks - 14 hit, 20 miss, 12 Dodge - 30% hit rate overall
    Against Weaver 2 (Level 87) - 30 Spells cast - 14 hit, 3 miss, 13 dodge - 47% hit rate
    Against Gruok (Level 91) - 31 Spells cast - 12 Hit, 12 Miss, 7 dodge - 39% Hit rate

My stats are 1HS 1090 (Using a Blade of Rending), Strength 2869, Dex 833
    Nature 867, Blight 873, Power 944, Focus 732

About 1/3 to 1/2 of my damage comes from Ruin, Decay, Rended Wounds and Stinger while I miss with attacks and heal myself. Just got killed by a Gruok (It went into rage, I blew all heals and then proceeded to miss 5 Improved Lightning Bolts IV, a Dark Cyclone and a Thunder IV), once my Death Penalty is gone I will go test against Ogres, Pygmies and wolves. I did have one instance where I hit a spider for 12/13 spells attacks, but that has been the exception thus far.

Having a quick look at your posted stats/skills, I have some thoughts and further comments. As Amon (and others have mentioned) some of the swamp mobs, partiuclarly ALL spiders, have high evasion, so melee attacks will miss. Magic should go better.

It seems your skills aren't abnormally low, when buffed they seem pretty much on target (perhaps nature could do with some help though), but your stats are lacking somewhat. Your Dex and Focus are cira 800, so your change to hit is not doing itself any favours. Are your spells teched with accuracy by any chance?

I think, choosing one attack type and sticking to it might be the best way to go. Deck yourself out to compliment it and you should be able to get your skills and stats over 900. Even just move some TPs around and see how that goes. And yer, careful of that Boar's Rage, it's a nasty piece of work

Best of luck, see yas in Istaria
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Well, as soon as I start complaining, I start hitting again...Might have just been a long run of very bad luck. I'm hitting at about 60% now with only a few levels gained, and mobs at my level (85) closer to 70% with spells. Haven't given melee a try yet, spells are more effective at this point. When I jump back over to Pally I'll take a look and see if it was bad luck or just a lack of stats for me. Hope it's not stats, cause that wouldn't be good news for players just getting into the tier.

So, finally got my full plate put together, time to go back to the swamp to hunt for comps for my Chainmail. I have over 1400 2HS and 1200 Dex with 1700 armor. Somewhere in the ballpark of 1200 Nature. Piece of cake, right?

WRONG!

Fighting one level 91 Weaker Ravenous Bloodsnout and one 87 Purple Weaver. Even throwing spells at the weaver, I miss over 60% agains the Weaver before finally killing it. I then proceed to get 50% misses against the gruok including 6 misses in a row whille it is in its rage. I finally kill it with a Critical Strike, and then die to an add. This is utter crap. A full set of T5 teched Mithril Plate set up to maximize 2HS, Strength and Dexterity with added in T6 jewelry and I die to a level 91 trash mob that I can't hit. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    You know/got that legendary ice tech only lvl 100 tinkerers can get?
    Only tinkerer get this legendary ice tech? Why would an adv entity only given to a crafting profession?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
    Only tinkerer get this legendary ice tech? Why would an adv entity only given to a crafting profession?
    More difficult to get?
    I remember I was coming and going from breaks when this tech was introduced as biped tech. Many dragons managed to get that Ice tech as well during that time... Not sure if many still use it, but the Spiked Emerald claw, 1 socket for dcom, Deadly V tech and Ice Tech... A very strong combination.

Now it is truly biped only and they only have to level tinkerer school to get it.

A shame the flame tech got nerfed through time...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information