Thread: getting a new pc soon :D

Default getting a new pc soon :D

^^ i'm getting a new pc soon ... i for my b-day ... i got 2 to chooes from ... but ... i dont know if thay well play Istaria >_> soo i'm putting in the pc's spec's . i found the game stuff to play istaria but i cant tell is thies well play the game i am ok'ish in getting games to work .. not soo much in reading .. pc..info stuff .
    here is the info on both of the pc's XD
    ==========
    •Intel® Core™ i5-2310
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    •6GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    •1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    •16x DVD±RW Drive
    •8-in-1 Media Card Reader
    •Intel® HD Graphics 2000
    •10/100/1000 Network
    •Dell 1502 802.11n Wireless
    •Display Not Included
    Speed through tasks, get organized and stay connected with this performance Inspiron 620 desktop computer featuring a 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ processor.

-----
    other pc "

•Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    •2GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    •1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    •16x DVD±RW Drive
    •19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    •Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
    •10/100/1000 Network
    •Display Not Included
    With the Inspiron™ 560 desktop computer, you get the personalized experience you crave, from the colorful exterior to the powerful components inside.
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Default Re: getting a new pc soon :D

hey- thats real good news sis!!

I`m happy with you- but can`t say anything about comps.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

the top one is deinitly better :P

Quote Originally Posted by retsnom View Post
    the top one is deinitly better :P
    Based on what? I'm genuinely curious since I don't know what's really needed. It has more RAM but since I was told with my computer that the graphics card was key to good game performance I would have thought the second one was better.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...10+%40+2.90GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...00+%40+3.20GHz

the i5 is ranked much higher. The i5 is a quad core vs the dual core e6700. the i5 is sandybridge which is the latest generation of cpu's from intel. The e6700 is going on ancient :S

the i5 one has 6gb of ram vs the e6700 one which has only 2gb

both have terrible intergrated gpu's

the i5 one has home premium the e6700 one has proffesional

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...oducts/compare

see if you feel it's worth it but i don't feel that those 3 extra features are worth £80...and they would prob increase the price of the computer due to it having proffesional and not home prem
    Last edited by retsnom; October 3rd, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

In most cases, as far as video games are concerned, you won't see much extra performance from a quad core over a dual core as very few games are currently designed to take full advantage of what a quad core has to offer. Heck, many games still have yet to take much advantage of dual cores. However it will help aid in easing the load from background tasks.

Same goes for RAM, when you start passing ~3-4GB you're starting to go beyond what most games can even use, this largely due to the fact that most games are still 32 bit, essentially meaning that they can only possibly take advantage of 3GB of ram at the most (Though I believe it is possible to allow them up to 4 on a 64 bit OS such as Windows 7). Again, extra memory beyond that will help in easing the load from background tasks.

So when it boils down to it, the GPU can often become what bottlenecks your computer but they're all very important for running games. And Retsnom is right, the first computer listed is quite a bit better, and he's also right about the graphic chips on those computers being terrible. A game will be bottlenecked on those GPUs way before the CPU and RAM become an issue.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

The i5 is better, imho, as mentioned it is quad core compared to the e6700 which is 2.66gHz dual core. It kinda depends on how big of a gamer you are. I have the E6700 at home, I think, and it runs most things pretty well... excep perhaps some of the latest games. The one that comes to mind is CoD: Black Ops, which my current rig simply cannot run, even on lowest settings.

Not sure what motherboard comes with either rig, but I would think the i5 would have a newer MB and therefore have more scope for further upgrades, just something to think about.

More RAM is great, espcially since it's running W7, which I would have thought would need 2GB minimum (or there abouts).

The only suggestion I have on either, is to upgrade the graphics cards as mentioned by others as well.

All in all, I am jealous of anyone getting new comps as I have had mine for way too long now Good luck!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

So what did you end up with?

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

-_- havent gotten it yet ... bills kina poped up XP not to happy about it >_> dont know when i'll b getting it .. looks like a x-mass gift now XP
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenia View Post
    ==========

•Intel® HD Graphics 2000

-----
    other pc "

•Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
    Will both suffice for Istaria, but *not* for other games. I'd recommend additionally buying an nVidia GTX560 (about $200) or an ATI Radeon HD 6870 (also about $200).

I'd personally go with the top one, but I'd upgrade the video card shortly theirafter. Ive never had any luck with the Intel video cards being worth much for more then word processing and playing web games and such. Any game requiring actual hard video processing, neither one of those video cards are worth the copper thats put into them, though the x4500hd is a better video card then the other.

If you go Nvidia, make sure you buy something that is at least x60+ (ie. 460, 560) Otherwise you will most likely be disappointed in the cards performance, especially with the newer games out on the market. I personally am using gtx 570's (yes SLI) and I definately have no problems running Istaria with everything on the graphics cranked to max. With 0 graphics lag issues. Im not suggesting to spend 300+ on a graphics cards, but if you spent a bit and got a 460, you'd be pleased when coupled with the top system.

I recently upgraded my e6600 system.. the thing that you need to realize is, if you buy a core 2 system, it will be difficult if impossible to upgrade the processor in the future, if you choose to do so, as all of Intel's processors are utilizing a whole new pin structure then what the core2 was using. At least if you get the i5, it is possible to, at some point, to upgrade to a better i5 or a lower version of the i7, if the motherboard can handle it that is. The other thing is, the Core2 processors are like.. 5 years old. If you get that system, you are already 5 years behind on processor power and you will again need to upgrade that much sooner. Where as the i5 2310 was released in MAY 2011... Just sayin...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    I'd personally go with the top one, but I'd upgrade the video card shortly theirafter. Ive never had any luck with the Intel video cards being worth much for more then word processing and playing web games and such. Any game requiring actual hard video processing, neither one of those video cards are worth the copper thats put into them, though the x4500hd is a better video card then the other.

If you go Nvidia, make sure you buy something that is at least x60+ (ie. 460, 560) Otherwise you will most likely be disappointed in the cards performance, especially with the newer games out on the market. I personally am using gtx 570's (yes SLI) and I definately have no problems running Istaria with everything on the graphics cranked to max. With 0 graphics lag issues. Im not suggesting to spend 300+ on a graphics cards, but if you spent a bit and got a 460, you'd be pleased when coupled with the top system.

I recently upgraded my e6600 system.. the thing that you need to realize is, if you buy a core 2 system, it will be difficult if impossible to upgrade the processor in the future, if you choose to do so, as all of Intel's processors are utilizing a whole new pin structure then what the core2 was using. At least if you get the i5, it is possible to, at some point, to upgrade to a better i5 or a lower version of the i7, if the motherboard can handle it that is. The other thing is, the Core2 processors are like.. 5 years old. If you get that system, you are already 5 years behind on processor power and you will again need to upgrade that much sooner. Where as the i5 2310 was released in MAY 2011... Just sayin...
    Shes talking about here parents buying here a new computer for her b-day... Do you really think any of this is relevant to her? lol

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Why would it not be relevant? If she can get her parents to buy a computer, she might as well know the difference between a new computer and an old computer made to look new? Is it also not relevant what the first upgrade that could be made to make the potential purchase realize the potential it truly has?

I personally would rather have my child do their research, to find the best deal out there, then to be totally screwed when it comes time to potentially upgrade later and have to replace the whole system again because it was already outdated. My children, if they desire for me to buy them something, have to prove why they need it, what is actually worth buying, and where the best deal is to get said item. Yes.. my kids have to do a lot of research into what they choose to ask for, but it is better for them in the long run to have had to do so then to just buy whatever they want whenever they want it, just because they want it.

On a side note... I have built my kids computers lately with similar specs to what was being asked about, except for the fact that I did put in the better graphics cards. Istaria runs nicely on both of them, as I tested it recently, whereas my wife's laptop with an Intel graphics processor is totally sub-par in gameplay and not worth the time or energy to mess with (and that's for pretty much any newer standalone game out there currently).
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Thread Information