Thread: Old Republic, please save me soon...

Default Old Republic, please save me soon...

I can't wait for a game with a population and new content to save me from this...

Shargrailar
    Bored Christmas Dragon of the Order Shard dying from a lack of content, groups to hunt with, and rare items to satisfy his OCD for collecting...

Default Re: Old Republic, please save me soon...

Well unless you have tried every MMO on the market (not saying you have not, cuz I certainly have tried almost all of them LOL)..

But you can always sub up to a new game or a f2p (like say LotR or EQII that doesn't limit you as much in F2p ways..esp EQII) while waiting on SW:TOR. EQII even has a holiday going on right now you can play around in. (Other games do too, just saying..)

Cuz if you havent played those - that is "new content and population"

Otherwise yup me and guildies from WoW waiting on SW:TOR as well...until then..WoW and Skyrium will tide me over....
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Eh. Coming from SWG, I'm keeping this one with a pole in between us.

On one hand, OMG Bioware MMO! On the other you have an overused, seriously screwed up franchise. I hope Bioware gives us some nice mechanics to play with to offset that.

Truthfully and honestly there's been dozens of MMOs released in the past 4 years that were supposed to be the 'next biggest thing' only to peter out within a year.

No SE for me this time. I'm getting tired of hopping onto new games and paying a yearly fee because it's truck tons cheaper. After all, my friends are ravenous over this game only to have me be the last man standing outside of five months.

LOL paying the yearly fee isnt truck tons cheaper if yoou dont know if you are staying for the year that is for sure!

I would never do that sight-unseen.

New MMO comes out, I play for the free month and THEN decide - another 1 month or maybe 3 at the most. Cuz you are right that everyone and your brother jumps on the bandwagon and then within 3 months you know who is REALLY going to stay.

SW:TOR does have the oompf to really change a few dynamics just by wht they are attempting. Not saying its going to be the end-all-be-all of MMOs (cuz it wont be) but I do think that it will be successful enough to influence the next batch of MMOs after it - whicih wouuld be good thing .

Me, Bioware usually does good stuff - and even if the game doesnt keep me that long Iim sure the solo-questing will be fun for at least a couple months. Perhaps it wil be a distraction game I play when I get burned out on WoW for a little break (what EQII is now for me - I sub up maybe 2-3 months a year total and just dabble for weekend breaks off WoW).

Its always nice to hve side-games you cn start up, do a bit in, and then leave for awhile if nothing else.

And they are bringing a few new mechanics to experiment with which like I said, is always good for the future of the genre.

But like I said - Skyrium will do till then (and beyond until the next ES chapter lol), and then if SW:TOR falls through I can always try Secret World then (set to release 4/12 but..prolly be pushed back again lol) for something a bit different.

There are always options .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Not particularly sure why this was moved since the just ranting section says:

Just Ranting
    It's not about Istaria, but you need to rant anyway.

and this WAS a rant, but oh well...

I'm unfortunately not a game bouncer and have only played two MMO's for the past 7 or so years. This one and SWG. I like to get in on them from the beginning and stick to em, lol. So TOR it is for me...

Ill give SO:TOR a try but I think Ill be comming bck here more often than not For now its skyrim and digimon masters
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Hmm, yet another 'flavor of the month' game. Also, if the game has too many players, it tends to make the community quite... toxic and hostile. I think I'll pass this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael View Post
    Hmm, yet another 'flavor of the month' game. Also, if the game has too many players, it tends to make the community quite... toxic and hostile. I think I'll pass this one.
    I have to disagree. The larger part of the community is, and will stay, warm, welcoming and helpful. A good amount of new players I have met in the past months is nice and friendly.

huh Lung did you think he was talking bout SW:TOR community or the Istarian one.

Cuz he was talking about SW:TOR community.
    And if you were too - if you are in the beta (awesome/jealous!) just realize that beta community does not equal release community.

There is a big difference between a community of maybe couple dozen thousand at most to a community of 1-2 million (their goal community).

But then Ive seen small games with crappy communities too and I have had great communities in WoW (yes I know you think thats blasphemy but its possible!).

However, I also don't agree with flavor of the month - I agree with that statement about AoC and Warhammer - but that was, from my opinion at the time, about what I expected.

SW:TOR has the potential to be almost equal to WoW - which I would say certainly isnt a flash in the pan. I think it will come pretty close and barring any major screwups the first few months of release (possible of course!) then I don't think this will be a FotM either honestly.

And SHAR I don't really consider myself a game bouncer - Im more of a multi-game player . I've kept a running subscription to Istaria since the beginning, WoW since the beginning - and dabbled here and there simultaneously in Rift, Warhammer, AOC, LOTR, And EII (though more of a periodic dabbling in EQII).

So if I am able to add SW:TOR to the "played since the beginning" list I will - if not I'll play until Imbored and I am hoping boredom doesn kick in before the free month is up as it did for all those other games I listed LOL.

So itsnot so much game bouncing as trying whats new and remaining with everything I enjoy at the same time .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

*facepaws and deletes his post

I wouldn't get your hopes up for TOR! From their development outline, I think it will end up being a bit of a disappointment, especially with how much hype is being centered around it.

TOR is not going to have an open game world, it's going to be a bunch of boxes linked together, heavily instanced. That's really going to make it feel like a single player game you are just paying a fee for. Kind of like that Star Trek Online game that many, if not all of my friends went off too, glad to have a space game that was not EVE.. Only to end up regretting the purchases within a month, I don't know anyone who still plays that now.

But I've kinda stopped being excited by games, as Shian said, everything new has been a catastrophic flop for a while now, not just MMOs, either. Annd I'm also tired of ending up being the last person standing, too.

besides that I agree with Shian and Nykara,

having watched all trailers, read what I could get about it,
    I shall not try TOR.
    I`ve outgrown that
    this is stuff from my early youth
    I do not like reheated meals, rehashed love or worn out storylines..

why did not they create something REALLY new?
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; October 30th, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Nykara View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for TOR! From their development outline, I think it will end up being a bit of a disappointment, especially with how much hype is being centered around it.
    Oh I agree with you on the hype. I don't buy the hype -honestly I could care less about fully voiced charters and all that jazz. Im not really that much into SW as a franchise either.

Been gaming too long, and as you said, seen too many games (or dev companies) lying between the hype to really be like "zomg this is the end all of everything it will b awesome and kill everything" No..not that.

Just interested in that it looks lke it will have solid questing and we are branching our WoW Guild into SW:TOR and Ive enjoyed years with these people - so if we all continue to play both - both games can be enjoyable.

TOR is not going to have an open game world, it's going to be a bunch of boxes linked together, heavily instanced. That's really going to make it feel like a single player game you are just paying a fee for. Kind of like that Star Trek Online game that many, if not all of my friends went off too, glad to have a space game that was not EVE.. Only to end up regretting the purchases within a month, I don't know anyone who still plays that now.
    don't care about it being a non-instanced world. Outside of Istaria every other MMO I play is not an open game world - so no, I don't need this to make it feel like an MMO. It feels like an MMO because I can run dungeons and quests with my guild mates.

There were so many things wrong with STO (I expected nothing really and I was not too d disappointed at the end of open beta lol) that instaced-world wasn't the reason it floundered LOL.

But I've kinda stopped being excited by games, as Shian said, everything new has been a catastrophic flop for a while now, not just MMOs, either. Annd I'm also tired of ending up being the last person standing, too.
    I agree with you on too much excitement - but I can have a little bit! Just because you feel "everything" else was a catastrophic flop (though the people still playing those games probably disagree with you LOL) doesnt mean nothing new ever again will be any good. How depressing - I agree with you that most of what come out will probably be crap for personal reasons (as we all have them!) but Bioware is usually solid (except for DA2...lol) even if I know EA would mess it all up.

So Im hoping the questing I can duo with my hubby and my guildies will be engaging for a few months. Anything more than that will be a surprising bonus!

And I can think of several single player games that hav been far from flops - the most recent being Deus Ex: HR - fantastic fun, well developed, solid game . I have the same expectation of Skyrium.

Oh and Btw LOV - if you are looking for something different - I suggest you check out "Secret World" (even if its Funcom it IS different), and you will probably hate hearing this - but await the next Blizz MMO as it is a totally new franchise that has never been done before (it's not Starcraft MMO nor will it be WoW2 - just at totally new trademark so.there..original..lol).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information