Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chat Channels

Default Re: Chat Channels

Hello, DrazilForce, welcome on Itaria.

i thank you both
    yes i love istaria..can't seem to get enough of it
    i say for the future there ends up being a place very similar to this in reality
    my name is pronounced Dr-A-zil
    It has always been my dream to be a dragon in real life
    to help the community of Malatora
    the future holds the key http://fedcom-online.webs.com/

gotta love how this turned from a discussion about how Market Place channel was being utilized for construction channel, into a welcome to Istaria thread that doesn't even belong even in this section of the forum.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

i am truly sorry
    i am new to this so i am a bit lost in this forums
    what would be a good place for such a thing?

A quick perusal through the Main forum page may net you with a forum called "Hello" which takes you to http://community.istaria.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=74 That would be the proper place for your I'm new to Istaria topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    gotta love how this turned from a discussion about how Market Place channel was being utilized for construction channel, into a welcome to Istaria thread that doesn't even belong even in this section of the forum.
    Don't you think that it makes it perfectly fitting? Talking about things that doesn't belong here or there according to whoever?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I guess it does kinda fit in, now that you mention it.. perhaps we should derail the thread to several other topics as well, just to prove the point that it is severely annoying to have conversations not relating to the main thread meandering throughout the main thread.

Sorry, I jus didn't want to sound rude to a new player just because he didn't post his message in the right section or thread... Don't worry, DrazilForce, it is fine.

ok cool ^^
    and i do thank Fratricide for the link ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    I guess it does kinda fit in, now that you mention it.. perhaps we should derail the thread to several other topics as well, just to prove the point that it is severely annoying to have conversations not relating to the main thread meandering throughout the main thread.
    That isnt the point it proves to me..

But then I find the evolution of discussion tangents usually entertaining and fun! And it takes a strong hand to keep forum topics 100% on target on ANY forum LOL.

But feel free to return to the discussion of what chat should go where as determined by random XYZ....
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I'd like to post an analogy. Imagine if your telephone, in addition to the dial buttons, had an array of buttons labeled, e.g. gossip, business, family matters, shopping, etc. and in order to say anything you HAD to punch the corresponding button AND have your conversation partner punch the right button as well. How annoying would that be? I tend to agree that STARTING a topic in the wrong channel may be technically in error, but if the conversation somehow drifts off target and isn't interfering with anyone it shouldn't be a problem. And a "zinger" or one-liner joke should be appropriate wherever there are people to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    That isnt the point it proves to me..

But then I find the evolution of discussion tangents usually entertaining and fun! And it takes a strong hand to keep forum topics 100% on target on ANY forum LOL.

But feel free to return to the discussion of what chat should go where as determined by random XYZ....
    ^^
    This.

I -hate- people who complain about something going "off topic", or "derailing".

I reply to whatever is posted whenever I have something to reply to it with. If it isn't 100% "in topic" with whatever the original post is, eh, who cares?

But no, SOMEONE has to pop up and say "OMG You're going off topic! we have to lock the thread now!/ban the people!/close the chat channel!"

Sometimes a topic evolves, changes, what-not. As long as people are being civil, and as long as it isn't hurting anyone, just leave it alone and let people enjoy the talk. It is far better than silence.

Last couple times I logged onto Order this past week, I played for 30-60 minutes and I saw absolutely nothing in Dragon OR Marketplace until -I- said something personally, and then the convo ended within 10 minutes. Meh that was boring.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if all of those names of those who are supposedly in the chat are actually there, or AFK, or running bots....

Personally, I don't mind a little bit of things off topic.. but running on a tangent for extended periods is quite annoying, especially when you expect a conversation on x topic and you find a conversation on a, b, and c instead. Frustrating indeed. While it is excusable to begin a conversation in channel A about topic B, you should move the discussion to the proper channel if the conversation is continuing beyond 5 mins or so... Seriously, last week I was in MP channel and a discussion started about what was more OP, Dragons or multiclassed Bipeds... OMFG, what does that have to do with MP.. seriously, and the, lets say, Intensity, of the speaking... seriously, it isn't that important. If I wanted to listen to that, I would be in General chat or some other private channel, not in MP.

Y'all should figure it out that not everyone wants to listen to the drivel that gets wrangled into MP just because the population in that channel is larger and you can get a rise out of certain people when you mention certain topics.

ooh gawd the Dragons vs Biped discussion??

NO NO NO - god no - we don't want that rant-filled-bashing anywhere in any chatroom or forum ever again LOL.

Talk about a hot-troll issue. I wonder if they started it specifically just to get people going...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I don't know if it was started to get folks ranting and raving or if it was merely started as a show for Amon, as he had logged into the server not more then about 10 minutes before the whole thing kicked off. I do know that it was annoying to the point of several people leaving the channel because no actual Market transactions could take place because of the ridiculous discussion (and it wasn't always a terribly civil one at that).

I personally left because I can't stand folks continually kicking that dead horse. That horse has been dead since like.. launch or so. I figure if that rant, troll, etc, etc, etc, needs to take place, there is a nice rant section here on the forums that someone could probably resurrect one of the many such threads that already exist on the subject.

ooh I agree with you on that...and you are probably right about why it was started too.

And no I wouldnt expect it to remain terribly civil either, its a discussion that quickly gets heated usually. Just a subject to stay away from.

Which is why you are probably right, they started it seeing Amon around.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

This is just epic lol.... control the chat room!!! force people to do it your way!!!
    Then have the nerve to call it a courtesy that people do it this way by force? People forced to leave a channel cause they can't stand others talking? Making snide offhand comments then leaving the room smacks of harassment. Just another attempt to enforce chat room controls on a nonRP server.

Thread Information