Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

  1. #1

    Default Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Just did my daily Windows update, and was going to watch one of my DVDs on my laptop when the drive wouldn`t open. then I looked in "My computer" and my DVD ROM drive isn`t even on the list. O.o
    So then I went into my bIOS, yep! it is listed there. so I`m guessing the last Windows updated whipped out my driver. Now here`s the sad part. my laptop`s manufacturer doesn`t offer drivers for Windows 7.. WTH?
    Anyone have any suggestions? should I take the computer into a shop to get it fixed? or is there a safe/secure place to download the drivers I`m unaware of? XD


    if this isn`t in the right thread plz move it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    I remember this use to happen occasionally to my old Windows XP desktop. I never really solved the problem. Eventually after some restarts it was there again then in a couple months it would disappear. Made absolutely no sense.
    Wish I could help but I have no clue how to fix it =(
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

    Cave draconis.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Just did my daily Windows update, and was going to watch one of my DVDs on my laptop when the drive wouldn`t open. then I looked in "My computer" and my DVD ROM drive isn`t even on the list. O.o
    So then I went into my bIOS, yep! it is listed there. so I`m guessing the last Windows updated whipped out my driver. Now here`s the sad part. my laptop`s manufacturer doesn`t offer drivers for Windows 7.. WTH?
    Anyone have any suggestions? should I take the computer into a shop to get it fixed? or is there a safe/secure place to download the drivers I`m unaware of? XD


    if this isn`t in the right thread plz move it
    Most DVD-Rom drives are standard, don't need to download any drivers, especially with Windows7.

    How old is this laptop? Did it come with Windows7 pre-installed, or did it once have WinXP on it?

    This could also be a hardware failure, especially if the computer is older. Driver files are definitely not the issue, Windows7 should have those built-in to the OS, especially for something that is usually standard like a removable disc drive.

    Either your drive is going bad, or you've got a software problem. Did you try using the restore point that was created just before the Win7 update?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Dhalin, you know most people don't know what a restore point is, nor do they know how to utilize it. Some people don't even have it turned on, don't know who would do something like that, but they turn it off for some reason anyhow.

    If it was my laptop, I would remove and reinstall the drive, because you might have lost some connection in there at some point, especially with an older drive. But, you might just have to eventually break down and replace the drive altogether. If your laptop was built in the last 12 years, you should have an USB port on the thing, just go buy an external USB CD drive. I don't like seeing people spend money on things they don't necessarily need, but usually for <$50 you can get rid of your pain, to me it'd be worth it.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

    Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    Dhalin, you know most people don't know what a restore point is, nor do they know how to utilize it. Some people don't even have it turned on, don't know who would do something like that, but they turn it off for some reason anyhow.
    So if they don't know they'll say so and someone can explain to them how to use it, or heck, even simply google how to use it. :P And if they know how to disable it they'll know how to use it (even though if disabled currently it wouldn't be very useful, which considering there isn't much reason to disable System Restore on 7 it would just of been fairly pointless to disable it in the first place). I wouldn't say that 'most' people don't know what it is or how to use it either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    If it was my laptop, I would remove and reinstall the drive, because you might have lost some connection in there at some point, especially with an older drive. But, you might just have to eventually break down and replace the drive altogether. If your laptop was built in the last 12 years, you should have an USB port on the thing, just go buy an external USB CD drive. I don't like seeing people spend money on things they don't necessarily need, but usually for <$50 you can get rid of your pain, to me it'd be worth it.
    Didn't you just make a point to Dhalin about 'most' people not even knowing how to use System Restore, and now you're talking about removing, installing, and potentially replacing hardware on a laptop? >.>


    Reagle, I'd say try what Dhalin suggested first. He is right about the drivers. Unless you had some very strangely unique disk drive that required strangely unique drivers it's unlikely to be the cause of the drive's failure.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

  6. #6

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Well, the USB external drive is a good idea -- it would work on virtually _any_ computer, laptop or not.

    But I'd only do that after exploring options like Restore Points and/or maybe finding a friend who knows more about computers if the OP doesn't have the tech knowledge required to attempt to diagnose an OS software problem.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    look.. you don't need to troll all over my post... The biggest thing is perhaps you don't realize that some folks are more comfortable with Hardware then Software. That is why I separated the two paragraphs instead of throwing it all in one lump sum of a statement.

    Personally, I find it easier to work with the hardware then with the software, though, I am capable of doing both. I suggested the external drive because they are fairly fool proof, and will most likely work with any system out there.

    Anyhow... take from it what you will, as I don't know the expertise level of the OP.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

    Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    look.. you don't need to troll all over my post... The biggest thing is perhaps you don't realize that some folks are more comfortable with Hardware then Software. That is why I separated the two paragraphs instead of throwing it all in one lump sum of a statement.

    Personally, I find it easier to work with the hardware then with the software, though, I am capable of doing both. I suggested the external drive because they are fairly fool proof, and will most likely work with any system out there.

    Anyhow... take from it what you will, as I don't know the expertise level of the OP.
    My apologies if anything I said was taken as "trolling" as I didn't have any such intentions whatsoever.

    I just wanted to list the various things that could be wrong with the OP's laptop so that they could either google it, or ask a knowledgeable friend if they themselves didn't possess the tech know-how to resolve it themselves. I just wanted to give them a place to start looking.

    But anyways, best of luck to the OP.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    oh yeah! never thought about doing that XD I think my late restore point was a month or so ago. I`ll try doing that first.
    as for age wize, it`s only about 2 or 3 years old, and came with Vista originaly. I had a lot of problems with Windows freezing, and crashing till I upgraded to 7

    if that doesn`t work then I`ll guesse the drive itself is shot. I might be able to get a new one on NewEgg. thanks for the advice all! I`ll keep you all updated how it goes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #10

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    if that doesn`t work then I`ll guesse the drive itself is shot. I might be able to get a new one on NewEgg. thanks for the advice all! I`ll keep you all updated how it goes
    If you've got access to a second PC somewhere, try swapping the drives before playing with software or buying a new drive. Try the suspect bad drive in a known good machine, and a known good drive in the suspect bad machine. It's a lot less painful than losing your system state from a restore point rollback.

    Also, don't spend a lot on the drive ($25 including shipping is more than fair) if you have to get a new one -- cd/dvd burners are pretty much a consumable these days. The laser gets weak after a few years and you'll have trouble reading one type or disc, or wind up making lots of corrupted burns.

    *sigh* I remember buying a cd /reader/ for $250 back in the day...
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    @Dhalin your post wasn't the trolling post.

    And again, good luck Darkwing with your drive issue.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

    Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    oh yeah! never thought about doing that XD I think my late restore point was a month or so ago. I`ll try doing that first.
    as for age wize, it`s only about 2 or 3 years old, and came with Vista originaly. I had a lot of problems with Windows freezing, and crashing till I upgraded to 7

    if that doesn`t work then I`ll guesse the drive itself is shot. I might be able to get a new one on NewEgg. thanks for the advice all! I`ll keep you all updated how it goes
    Vista....

    Eeew.

    The laser gets weak after a few years and you'll have trouble reading one type or disc, or wind up making lots of corrupted burns.
    YMMV on that. Mine tend to last 5+ years, but then I don't do a lot of work with CDs/DVDs. I'll watch the occasional movie, but otherwise, I don't use my drives very often. But yes, most drives are $30 or less from Newegg not counting shipping fees. The OP has a Laptop, though, and I'm not sure what the pricing is like on those, vs 5.25-inch internal desktop drives. I'll admit my experience with laptops is fairly limited, I guess I'm old fashioned or I just never really had much use for laptops. I keep a couple around, but rarely use em.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    The OP has a Laptop, though
    ACK! Sorry, I missed that.

    laptop-style drives do have a more or less standard form factor (the back side of the drive can have one of two types of connector though), however the face or trim can be different. If it's anything but flat and rectangular, getting a replacement to fit nicely is going to be a pain -- forget about it and get a USB drive.

    If the face and trim are flat and rectangular, replacement is viable. Some laptops are designed with this in mind and pin the drive in place with two to four screws. (Screws come out and the drive slides out, like a docking bay.) If you don't have a laptop with this design, it needs to be opened to get to the drive -- and that's not trivial.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Laptop lost CD/DVD Rom driver

    Well no luck on rolling back my restore point. So must be hardware related. I`ll take a look at the drive itself probably Sunday, if I can`t find a compatable new one I`ll try the USB drive route ^^
    Thanks for all ur help, and advice all, much appreciated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •