Thread: Patch Downloads - merge the files please

Default Patch Downloads - merge the files please

Downloading files one at a time causes sooo much overhead, please package them first.

The recent update had something like 15000 files in it, and despite being relatively small in total size it took foreeeeeever to download. On the same 20Mb connection it didn't take much longer to download a recent 13GB beta!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Default Re: Patch Downloads - merge the files please

Yes.. that has been asked for before, but I don't think that the patcher is designed that way. It merely scans the files that are absent or out of date, and replaces/adds/subtracts the files that are supposed to be there or not. If the patch requires all of the terrain files to be added, it adds all the terrain files. If it only has to update an .exe and a few other misc music, pics, or modded models, then that's all it adjusts.

I would think though that if there was a regular major patch, like... if there was a client update, the patcher should be able to patch a "tared" type file, and extract it and patch from it on the client end, and then run the regular patcher through to verify there was no files missed or screwed up in the process..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Or, when they released the terrain cache, they could have zipped it up in a self-extracting EXE (or an installer) that we could download from Istaria's website and run it before running the game.

Self-extracting EXE (or installer) would write all of the terrain cache files in their proper places.

Then you run the patcher, the patcher would scan all the files, and boom. Done.

That would have been MUCH faster for most people.

I know this method works because I did exactly that for 2 of my computers... well, I didn't do a zip (found out later, I should have lol) and it only took 5min to transfer all the files from computer #1 to computer #2, then to #3.

Ran the patcher, and it didn't have to download anything, even with full scan checked just for caution's sake.

true enough...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Thumbs up Re: Patch Downloads - merge the files please

Oooooooh, true words they say!

I would prefere to download a packed .exe or .zip file too!

Like it works on WoW too!

If you are new and just installed the client, you need so much time till you can play. OK, it depends on the line and bandwide, but for me it takes nearly two nights....

Just in the moment I have to download 394526kb and in more than 2 hours I have just downloaded 34550kb!!

A patch on a file server would go faster.....
    Hail Malganival Lunus !! How can I serve YOU?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information