Thread: S. 1867 -- This bill seems to be surprisingly unnoticed

Default S. 1867 -- This bill seems to be surprisingly unnoticed

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s1867/show

I just heard of this today and from my understanding of it the bill essentially gives the US military the power to arrest and imprison indefinitely any American citizen if they are in any way suspect of terrorist activities without any due process (essentially just arrested, deported, done). Of the various things that could be considered suspect, some seem to be as simple as having more than 7 days of food. This is getting a little maddening.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Default Re: S. 1867 -- This bill seems to be surprisingly unnoticed

A little? It is extremely insane.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

The insane part about this bill is not that it authorizes such a breach of due process, but that, according to the bill's authors, it does not change any existing law or authorization to detain suspected terrorists.

In other words, we already do this. If you're a US citizen and a suspected or accused enemy combatant, you already have no right to due process, and in fact, can be killed at any time.

Here's an interesting analysis of the motives behind the threat to veto the bill from the executive branch... Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the bill passed. The language may be a bit sensationalist, though the documents it links to are interesting, in particular, those hosted at .gov sites.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

UPDATE:
    The bill passed today.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    UPDATE:
    The bill passed today.
    Why am I reminded of the scene from the Star Wars saga in which the electoral assembly votes for the evil guy to take over?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Why am I reminded of the scene from the Star Wars saga in which the electoral assembly votes for the evil guy to take over?
    I hope this won't be our future...

Thread Information