Thread: Terraria

Default Terraria

Anyone else played this?

I saw this game on Steam for $2.49 a couple days ago and decided to try it, after reading about the "millions of people" who say it is an awesome game.

So, I downloaded it (28MB download!?) and gave it a whirl.

At first, it was pretty confusing as to what exactly I was supposed to do. I took me awhile, but I eventually got on to how to make a house to survive nights (zombies and flying eyeballs attack at night), but after visiting a wiki and reading some "getting started" guides, I feel I understand the game a bit more.

What I love about it:

1). Worlds are randomly generated. This means you'll never get the same setup twice, you'll never run out of places to explore.

2). You can do LOTS of stuff... build houses, shape the world, fight monsters. This is pretty impressive for some game with SNES-era graphics.

3). It is Multiplayer! I've yet to utilize this, but I think that'd be kinda neat.

4). It is such a simple, but yet addicting game. You can play it for half an hour and feel like you've accomplished something.

What I don't like about it:

1). Worlds are randomly generated. Yes, I said this in the 'love about it', but there's something negative to be said here too: Some worlds that are generated are just simply not friendly to a newbie player/character.

I've seen worlds where you start out, there's no flat ground anywhere nearby (they should have forced you to start out near a reasonably flat area) and to flatten ground yourself takes a considerable amount of time. When there -is- flat ground, sometimes it is challenging to try and get your house up before the zombies come on the first night. Also, trying to upgrade your equipment sucks when there's no copper or iron around.

Later in the game, when you start exploring, I've seen a world that had zero natural caves whatsoever, and had to dig everywhere I went and only found very small rooms here-and-there. I've had worlds where 90% of all underground caves had water (more on this later) in them, and last but certainly not least, I've had worlds that are seemingly devoid of Iron or Gold (which is what I'm trying to get more of right now).

2). You can take your character to more worlds and keep everything in your inventory and piggy bank (if you bought one).... but you can't take your houses with you. Yes, every time you start a new world, first thing you have to do is build a bunch of houses for the NPCs in that world. This is especially tedious when you're just trying to find a non-sucky world to advance your character.

3). Water. Water sucks. It can be such an annoyance. Whether you're looking for Crystal Hearts, or Skeletons to make your first Hookshot, or you're just looking for Iron/Silver/Gold Ore, finding every other cave room filled with water gets old fast. Torches (see next point) don't work underwater obviously. Glowsticks do, but they are temporary and you can't stick them to a wall like you can torches without using gel to do so, and even then, they are temporary. And yes, you will drown underwater. Supposedly there are reeds and diving helms, but those are found far later in the game than you need them.

4). Light Sources. There is no light underground or at night. You have to carry hundreds of torches on you. I can get used to this after awhile, but when you first start out, it is going to be mildly annoying. Thankfully, torches are pitifully easy to make, but are still an annoyance. It is possible to buy a helmet that radiates light, but it has low defense and wouldn't be very useful, not to mention it is expensive as all heck.

Anyways, to wrap it up, I'd have to give the game an 8 out of 10. Those of you who love realistic graphics need not apply; the game looks like a SNES game. In fact, some people have blasted the devs for using sprites very similar to Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI sprites. But to be honest, 16-bit sprites are difficult to make without making something that looks similar to one used in another game.

Replay-ability is high, there's infinite worlds to explore, equipment to be gotten, and harder challenge modes to try (If you die, your character is dead permanently in Hardcore) and they release updates for the game periodically, so there might be new bosses after awhile to try to tackle.

Controls are pretty simple and straight-forward, WASD+Spacebar Jump with Mouse by default though trying to get your character to interact with ledges that are one block wide might take a player with good motor control of their fingers. Thankfully, you can easily shape those ledges if you're having trouble.

Very fun game, very much worth the $2.49 I paid for it. It is now currently $4.99 on Steam, and I think $9.99 normally when the sale ends.

I would have easily paid $20 for a game like this. lol.

Default Re: Terraria

Terraria is awesome! I havn't played it as much as I would have liked but what I have played is quite entertaining. Still waiting for a blood moon.
    If anyone wants to do a multiplayer session sometime I'm up for it. =)
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

I play Terraria all the time now that my son has it as well. We co-op play on a "dedicated" server running on my machine, so we can join and drop when ever.

There are a few things that I might suggest to you.

1) Get the program called Terrafirma. It is able to open your map out of the game so you can explore without actually digging around. It helps a whole lot especially when trying to find specific things.

2) Make sure you don't make a house out of Ebonstone, or out of any bricks taken from the dungeon... That would be a bit of a mistake since it may just cause little nasties to spawn for you in your house.

3) On new maps, you don't really have to make a whole house, just make a small hooch to block the baddies out and work out from there... and make sure you don't put a wall, door, or floor on your spawn point. if you do, when you spawn you will break the wall and have to rebuild... and that sucks especially during a blood moon.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Here's how I tend to do my houses... I dig down to 0 elevation before I start, but this is how they tend to end up.

Then I dig down further, whenever I come across a lot of water, I dig a sump of sorts so that I can dump the water off into an empty hole. you can keep torches lit underwater if you create an air pocket by using blocks as shown in the following...

Hope this helps a tad, yes.. I do know that the well is quite large, but well, the one just below my house got full...

Hehe! Its been a while since I last played. Its a fun and simple little game, very enjoyable. I only every had one blood moon, it was on the second night in a new world (older character thankfully). Quite a blast having to stand at the door of my own home and battle zombie hordes.

The sad thing is, water didn't used to suck this badly. I don't play terraria anymore because I keep running into water where I have to dig around it or spend hours trying to get rid of it. Too tedious for me and I no longer get that feeling of "I got somewhere in 20 minutes of playtime"

WONDERFUL game otherwise.

Ya.. now that they made it so you cant "soak" up the water in blocks, it makes it a bit tougher. They did the same thing with Lava btw... you used to be able to bore through it by filling the lava with blocks, but no longer. Unfortunately. I don't think that this will change back.

Personally I like having to deal with water. Makes it a challenge for me to choose where and how to funnel it down the tunnels I dig and how to build my torches into the walls so that they aren't washed away all the time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Personally I like having to deal with water. Makes it a challenge for me to choose where and how to funnel it down the tunnels I dig and how to build my torches into the walls so that they aren't washed away all the time.
    I'm similar. Infact sometimes I try to channel it down so I can dump it into the underworld to cap off the lava.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Capping off the lava has never worked for me.. not with water anyhow... seems the water turns to steam, even if I drop like... 1500+ units of water down the hole... Maybe if I put it down close to the bottom.. then dropped it all at once it would work better... hmm...

But I digress.. with the new Pumps and stuff.. it is quite a bit easier to deal with the water. Then you can make a disappearing bottom out of switchable blocks for a dump gate.. Hmm.. I'm going to have to go test some stuff later I think. Perhaps a Lava trap =-)

Water always evaporates in the Underworld.

However, in the lower cavern where lava exists, but yet it isn't low enough to be "Underworld" yet, you can indeed cap off lava pools (you NEED the Obsidian to make Hellstone gear anyways as Hellstone bars require Obsidian!).

Instead of using water to cap Lava pools, though, I find it simpler to just lay down stone or dirt blocks above the lava. The only problem is the constant mob attacks. I find it mildly annoying when I'm getting attacked by something every 3-5 seconds, they could have at least give you 10 seconds or so, so that you can actually do something.

I find looting treasure chests especially lousy... open the chest, see what's in it... oh there's a bat. Gotta kill it because it does ridiculous damage. Okay, that's dead, look at the chest... yay, there's a rare item in it. Take it. Okay... oh crap, a stupid IMP just spawned near me. I have to kill it because it'll just keep pestering me, since it can shoot through walls as much as it wants with as much range as it needs (yet no other spell/weapon in the game can do this). Okay, imp's dead, open the chest again. There's some nice potions, bombs etc... but oh crap, I got a bunch of cobwebs, ash blocks, dirt blocks, stone blocks, coins, a few wooden arrows here, a couple hellfire arrows there, a fireblossom, some hellstone, and God-Knows-What-Else is that teeny-tiny little inventory they gave us and now I'm full and have no room. I'll just...

ARRRGH, ANOTHER STUPID BAT! DIE DIE DIE DIE!

Okay, um, I'll drop...

Oh crap, Demon. AAH! Kill it... whew.

Okay, what do I drop now....?

GRRR, Stupid Imp! DIE!

I think I'll drop that single gem I'm holding, and I'll pick up the...

NNNNGH. LEAVE ME ALONE YOU STUPID BAT!!!

Now what's in this chest again!? Okay, I'll take those two mana potions, and leave those 3 cobwebs I had on me...

ARRGH... NOT... AGAIN!?!? Now I got two bats and a demon attacking me and there's still 5 items in the chest...

About now I'm ripping my hair out in frustration because the mobs just won't *bleeeeeep*ing leave me ALONE.

This gets real annoying and so far, it is the 1-and-only annoyance I have with the game, a combination of 1). far, far, far too small inventory capacity and 2). there's no way to keep mobs off you for a few seconds. You can build ceilings and walls around the chest, that'll keep bats and slimes away, but yet there's the stupid overpowered imps (their projectiles should NOT go through infinite walls, OR, they should have a range similar to the Vilethorn) that will just simply pelt you to death with fireballs. Oh, and you better make your walls/ceilings 2 blocks thick, or the demons will still kill you.

There's items to speed spawn rates up, why not items to slow it down for 2m or so?

This is made of the same stuff that makes people hurl their controllers across the room in rage, back in the old Nintendo Days. Do the devs understand how freaking annoying that is? It isn't challenge. It is a pure annoyance that makes people want to quit.

I find that creating safe areas with a bed (respawn point) and using a mirror to be useful for hauling stuff back to chests and safer spots.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Well, I finally finished my Hellevator, and also placed a "house" just barely above the Underground depth, with a piggybank and a treasure chest.

It has made mining up Hellstone a little easier, but yet the constant attacks are no less annoying. I've tried putting up a few barriers, but mobs either find their way through it, or imps keep spawning. Still annoying as heck. I'm still scouting for a good place to fight the Wall of Flesh, but haven't found any yet, no matter where I go, two or so screens down I run into a taller 'tower' half-filled with lava... I could dig the tower out (after killing 3,000 mobs to do so), but the lava is another story... not sure how easy it is going to be to clear that stupid lava out.

Might have to create another world if I can't find a suitable place to fight it, hoping that another world that's generated might have a larger, more flat portion of the Underworld to fight him in. But then I'd have to make THAT world, a permanent world at least until I got enough equipment to kill the WoF a lot easier.

Found the easiest way to do the underworld is to go with a buddy... you can have one killing while the other works... then swap off...

The wall of flesh isn't totally terrible to fight. You will need ranged weapons though. The lasers that the thing shoots seem to be block able by your weapon fire.. so I flame-a-ranged it to death.. with my son. Worked nicely, I lost a total of 20 some health and he lost like.. 180, but thats cuz he was too chicken to stay close to the boss.

For defeating the Wall, I put down probably 1500 blocks long worth of "flooring" in the Hell zone. Just above the lava down there. everything above that, I mined away to provide a clear moving area... and again, its way way easier to do this with 2 people, though, it is technically possible with just 1, it will just take like 4 times as long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Water always evaporates in the Underworld.
    Oh, huh. I havn't played Terraria recently so that's new to me. x3 It used to work.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Talking Re: Terraria

got this off steam recently after seeing you fellow istarians talking about it here, its a fun game, looking forward to what kind of additional content they release in the future, have already managed to get one softcore character to "endgame" having beaten all the hardmode bosses at least once each, with the best stuff i could craft. was a little disappointed with the difficulty curve, after Wall of Flesh is the worst, as once you have Mythril Armor, or better with an upgraded Phaseblade, its quite easy to just plow through hordes of hardmode monsters without an issue, but overall, worth every penny.

I'd offer to start a fresh world and run it as a dedicated server for fellow Istarians, but at the moment, i cant stay connected to the internet for more then 5 minutes at a time, so can only imagine trying to run a dedicated server off my PC would be a bad idea until I can afford better internet service.
    Bahkar, Ancient Helian Dragon of Chaos (100/100/68). Vell, Human Warrior/Cleric (56/36).
    All it takes for Evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Thread Information