Thread: Remove Quarrying from Lairshaping Cog

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Remove Quarrying from Lairshaping Cog

There's already a Dragon Gatherer's cog.. why add quarrying to the lairshaping one? I was talking to Knosses on Istaria and he agreed that it really isn't necessary. Quarrying doesn't have to do much with lairshaping technically. It's bugging me that I can't stack it in with other crystals in my claw because of the conflicting quarrying skills.

If there has to be 3 skills applied to the crystal, add focus to it as well as Knosses mentioned. I believe it helps up lairshaping skill, does it not?

But yeah, that was just bugging me. Random suggestion.

~Racktor of Order

Default Re: Remove Quarrying from Lairshaping Cog

Not Focus but rather Power and +65 in the 100 level Lairshaper's Cog.

Knossos

I would be happy to entertain suggestions for replacements of the Quarrying skill for this cog. However, replacing a skill with a stat is not a valid choice. Cogs boost skills, not stats.

As for why it was setup originally to boost Quarrying, the reason is because Azulyte uses Quarrying and Azulyte is mostly a Lairshaper resource.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Ah, that's true.. but then again, the conflict is annoying as heck.

I'll brainstorm on what could replace it. *goes to quickly run through all the skills*

Edit: All that's left of all the other cogs adding in is Transmutation, Salvaging, and Ingenuity.

Transmutation: The only reasoning for adding this would be ease of making higher-tiered resources needed for lairshaping slightly easier.. but still, it's kinda stupid nonetheless.

Salvaging: From the deconstructing of lairshaping pieces, perhaps to help leveling but I doubt anyone would be deconstructing. Maybe for d/c'ing lair parts, or some such?

Ingenuity: ...idk. Gathering something, but we don't use this for Lairshaping.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. If it'd be possible to add capacity to a cog in place of a skill, maybe that'd make a little more sense because lairshaping parts sure do have lots of bulk.

Otherwise I have no clue whatsoever.
    Last edited by Racktor; January 17th, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

What's on it already? Lairshaping and Crystalshaping? Gemworking seems natural as a third to me, unless it is already present on the other dragon cog(s).

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Yeah, gemworking is on another cog; Dragon Crafter's cog I think.

Gemworking would be good because the current way I get get Gemworking, the Jeweler's cog, is gem/smelt/jeweling, which means no Jeweler's cog in the same tool as a Miner's cog. Annoying. It also, unlike the other suggestions, is a skill you bother using while making lairs. (Poor Transmutation. Nobody cares about you.)

Then again, these days my tools get 1 skills cog, 1 Holding cog, and a stat cog (to optimize for ONE skill) so the quarry "conflict" never comes up for me. Putting Gemworking on the Lairshaper's cog would be nice-- I could do T5 tricuts with significantly less hassle!-- so I'll endorse that proposal, but my Lairshaping cog is not one whose compatibility has ever given me issue.

(Disclaimer: I've never seen a Dragon Crafter cog let alone do I have any idea what's on it.)

Dragons have 4 dedicated cogs:

Dragon Scalecrafter cog: Scalecraft / Gemworking / Smelting
    Dragon Gatherer cog: Quarrying / Mining / Essence Harvesting
    Dragon Spellcrafter cog: Spellcraft / Essence Shaping / Stoneworking
    Dragon Lairshaper cog: Lairshaping / Crystal Working / Quarrying

Regarding the Quarrying on the DLSH cog, well... digging out resources for lairshaping means:
    metals need mining,
    essence needs essence harvesting,
    stone/gems/Azyulite need Quarry.
    So the score kinda goes to quarry.

I also agree that a holding cog would be better, tho

After seeing the stat spread on the crystals, I definitely say Gemworking. I don't see why you'd want to wear both the lairshaper and scalecrafter crystals at the same time. If anything, you'd likely want lairshaper + gatherer.

The usage pattern is rather even, Raptress. There is no way to avoid using them all
    Use Gatherer cog to get resources then:
    scalecrafter cog to make: bars/tricuts
    spellcrafter cog to make: bricks/orbs
    lairshaper cog to make: focused azulyte and the actual lairshaping products.

Any other skill replacing Quarry on the Lairshaping cog is redundant with the exception of Transmutation (anyone still using transmutation these days?) or a holding crystal - not a skill i know.
    So, in my opinion - a holding increase would be best since i could fit all 4 cogs in the Prototype Tool Claw

Edit: Or do as i did and till DLSH lvl 82 (current level) i never used a cog while lairshaping. What I'm using is an 8 pieces (didnt bother with the wings since i want to keep the velocity/speed bonuses) Power Scales set teched with 5th tier of Lairshaping, CrystalShaping and a a mix of power and focus techs/crystals.

Northwind,
    Ancient, Expert Crafter, 82 Lairshaper
    Last edited by Northwind; January 18th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

Personally I find it useful as it is. You need all three and since they're all pretty much equal, I tend to use quarry most out of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    The usage pattern is rather even, Raptress. There is no way to avoid using them all
    Use Gatherer cog to get resources then:
    scalecrafter cog to make: bars/tricuts
    spellcrafter cog to make: bricks/orbs
    lairshaper cog to make: focused azulyte and the actual lairshaping products.
    Why does that mean you need the lairshaper and scalecrafter cog in at the same time? Ideally, it would be gatherer, a crystal of holding, plus one other dragon cog, then you'd switch out the second depending on what resource you were after. But the quarrying on the lairshaping cog gets in the way of doing this.

Changing it for gemworking makes perfect sense to me for lairshaping, being the only real big user of gems that dragons have. Scalecraft uses them, but only a little, and tricuts are inherently part of lairshaping.

Well, as i said, for me ideally would be a holding increase - then i could use all 4 in the prototype tool claw.
    Anything else doesn't matter much - at least for me - quarry or gemworking still leads to a conflicting situation with one or another cog.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Well, as i said, for me ideally would be a holding increase
    They're not going to add +capacity to this cog. Don't even bother hoping for it. xP

Transmutation?

When was the last time you used transmutation besides your ROP?

I've never really heard someone use it before. It's a pretty non functional stat unless you like throwing away hours of work for very little gain.

I didn't even included a transmutation chamber in my lair, so it was a sort of bad joke, hence the embarrassment

To be honest, I've never needed gemworking as a cog. A few scales (like 4 max), but never enough that I needed scales+cog.
    Tricuts have a much much lower optimal to hit so I've never really struggled with them despite being a tank spec with no power or focus whatsoever.

Thread Information