Thread: Wanting to help NPA improve.

Default Wanting to help NPA improve.

Now all you old timers who do a great job helping new players in the NPA channel, I am not talking to you.

Please understand that I am amazed that you guys still man that channel! Well Done!

That channel was made by players long ago, and was meant to be a place where new players could feel accepted, and avoid all the grumpy folks that have gotten tired of answering the very same questions from new players over and over.

So, in the spirit in which is was started, I personally plan to drop in there and help in any way I can.

My conduct will be as follows, and always professional...

1. There are NO dumb questions.

There will be some new players that will need to ask questions that will seem silly and that they should know them. But we all have been in the shoes of the new player. We as helpers in the NPA channel can lower a new players frustrations by simply answering in a kind manner. This can also be done in Marketplace to try and re-direct folks to make a tab for NPA to watch.

2. We don't need to hold anyone's hand... unless they need that.

What seems to most irritate long time players is the lack of research most new players do. But in some ways that presumes that the new player views this game from an experienced players perspective. They don't have any experience, and probably only read enough to know they want to try the game out.. Most are tired of other games, and are just looking to try and find something new. Some will want lots of help, some won't. To be truly helpful to all, we can't afford to lead everyone step by step along the way to just see them leave 14 days later. So, offer an answer, tell them how to get more information and for the few that need it switch to a private chat and explain as much as is needed... I will take the lead in that if needed.

3. In the NPA channel we are all equals.

Whether we are new or a player that has been here since release, those that are admins need to promote everyone all the time. I was very pleased to see that happen last night when I was able to get my old account back. Again Well Done!

One thing I did notice from watching this channel for a week now is that its manned mostly by newer players. While this has helped keep it friendly, there is a lack of knowledge.

So, I would like to ask all you old timers to drop in and help out from time to time, and if you already do, this request does not apply to you.

I started at release, and was the original leader of The Eyes of Istaria, one of the longest continuously running guilds in the game. I took a break, but am back now and looking to help anyway I can.

So won't you join those that already help, and add to the knowledge base so that most of the frustrations new players have can be softened, and maybe, just maybe we can see them sub and stick around to play with us like in the old days ?
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Default Re: Wanting to help NPA improve.

Helping newbies in the NPA isn't going to keep these 14-day trial hatchies around any longer... Having said that, I'll continue trying to help in the only manner that is truly in short supply.

Stocking the NT connie.

This is the type of help that the newbies really need. Available and readily accessable tools, weapons, armor, jewelry cargo gear, disks, packs, sacks, spells, potions, crystals, techs, food, etc.

We as the established community should focus more on this. I haven't hung around NPA for the last few weeks cause its always the same thing. I need "Place item here" made!! Can someone make it for me?

What do I keep on there at all times? Jewelry, weapons, orbs, and tools... If we can get some people to cover the other bases a few times a week. The newbies would be all set.

((But I'll admit, the last week I haven't been able to restock it like I usually do because I'm going through a major plot restructuring, 75% of my 80x80 plot was knocked down for upgrades. It's almost done, only a few t4 silos left to finish ))
    Last edited by Finkledbody; January 10th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Items are a part of what new players need, but not all of what they need. Some may also need informations, advices, and more general help. So, direct contact with them should be good to help them enter in the community, for those who want to.
    Last edited by LungTien Temeraire; January 10th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Items are a part of what new players need, but not all of what they need. Some mayy also need help, informations, and more general help. So, direct contact with them should be good to help them enter in the community, for those who want to.
    Of course its not all they need. But Its the only thing I'm willing to help with, so getting more people to do it with me... Seems like a good idea

I'm not going to hold another toons hand running them to brist.
    I'm not going PL a hatchie so they can do there RoP.
    I'm not going to teach them How to set up there hotkeys....

All these little things that are asked for in the NPA are simple things that my 7 year old nephew can figure out on his own. So I'll stick to the "these toons need items to get started" deal. Its far more frustrating not being able to advance further because your limited by the tools that are available.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to get more vets answering questions for the noobs.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Sure, we give the help we want to give. I was just saying items aren't the most imortant thing players may need as a whole. Tutorials can be hard to understand, and I often met players asking for details and clearer explanations about how it works.
    Those asking for RoP and flight in 14 days aren't the most part of the new players, in my own experience. That is indeed a bit odd, even more if the player wants to leave the game just after having ascended. : p
    I had been asked a few times how to use abilities and put it as hotkeys. This may be not clear for some players, so I personally explains when ones asks me about it.

In a general idea, as a whole, and not only in Istaria but also in many online games, older players should not forget they all have been new players one day. And returning players which have been away for long time may have forgotten some things, so they may need help to remember it.

I go with you Finkle!

Everyone what he/she can do best,
    and can be offered light -hearted.

Lung-we got the point
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information