Thread: Cannot run Fullscreen on Laptop

Default Cannot run Fullscreen on Laptop

So awhile back I bought a laptop to play Istaria with (mainly to run my one character to craft as I gather materials with the other), but I've hit a snag.

When trying to launch the game fullscreen, the screen turns black and then windows, then turns black, then windows, then turns black, then windows and it keeps doing this over and over again until I Ctrl+Alt+Del and tell Istaria to close (and it takes a very long time even doing this).

The game will run windowed, but yet I only get 20FPS (I could try reducing the resolution one size maybe), so I thought that fullscreen might increase performance a little, but I can't get it to run fullscreen without the glitch.

Anyone see anything like this happen on their computers? If so, how did you fix it?

Default Re: Cannot run Fullscreen on Laptop

My best guess is, the video card isn't strong enough to support the function. Im only basing this off my fiance's laptop, she too can not play in fullscreen mod without crashing. She plays in windowed mode, only using the center most part of the screen.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

That sounds kinda strange to me... the video system can support windowed, but not full-screen? It is usually the other way around, windowed is usually more taxing on a system than full-screen is.

I did think of something else I will try though, next time I have my laptop running.

When "installing" Istaria on the laptop, I simply copied it across the LAN from my desktop; I'll try backing up all the prefs and then resetting all the prefs back to default.

That, and I might try reducing the resolution too, I think it is trying to run at something like 12xx-, I could try reducing that down to the nearest widescreen equivalent of 800x600 which would be plenty if I just want to have my character sitting at a smelter/stonecutter/whatever to craft what my dragon picks up.

If all else fails, I might look into running multiple copies of Istaria... is that still possible? My desktop should surely be strong enough to do it, I think I average 70-90FPS normally with medium settings.

Multiboxing on one computer is best done with multiple game installs on said computer-- I haven't checked lately if you can still do it out of one client (a few months ago it involved clicking ok on a warning prompt) but that tends to lead to some... bizarre bugs. Errors. Etc. It can get ugly fast.

Just copy your main install and name it something like "Istaria 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    That, and I might try reducing the resolution too, I think it is trying to run at something like 12xx-, I could try reducing that down to the nearest widescreen equivalent of 800x600 which would be plenty if I just want to have my character sitting at a smelter/stonecutter/whatever to craft what my dragon picks up.
    That could be your issue there. Since you copied it from another computer, the settings could be trying to run fullscreen at a resolution that your laptop monitor cannot actually achieve, although your desktop (or other machine) could.

I screwed up my cousins computer for a few hours when I did that once, by setting his monitor to a resolution that it could not actually run.

But it does sound like a graphics card hiccup... hope you get it sorted!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I cleared global prefs by using the launcher option, and then once the game started up again, I tried setting it to 1280x760 and it minimized, full-screened, then minimized a couple times and then it worked.

But, I didn't get any improvement in framerate over 800x600 windowed so I put it back on 800x600 windowed. I guess that'll be good enough for just doing letting my biped stand at a machine to craft stuff the dragon gathers lol.

Thread Information