Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant About RP.

Default Re: Rant About RP.

Order and Chaos weren't even a thing 7 years ago.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I haven't read all the responses yet but I wanted to quickly say that I didn't mean to offend anyone, or demand that rules be changed, or demand that "straight Istaria" RP be enforced, or kick people off the server, or tell people to quit playing, etc.

My goal with this was to rant - the purpose for which this "Rant Istaria Style" forum was established - although I'm sure I could have managed to do it a little more constructively.

I tolerate bending of the rules. I tolerate a certain amount of illogical or overly powerful or god-moding or creation of new races or any of that... it's just that when someone does all of these things in the span of an hour and constantly changes and makes up new rules and new forms (like a human-dragon super kawaii teenage girl as a khutit form, out of the blue in the Role Play Channel) that it's a straw that broke the camel's back situation.

I'll read through replies now. I'm sorry for coming across as this insane, rage-filled monster. I have since calmed down a bit, though my point of contention still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by konikitty View Post
    I haven't read all the responses yet but I wanted to quickly say that I didn't mean to offend anyone, or demand that rules be changed, or demand that "straight Istaria" RP be enforced, or kick people off the server, or tell people to quit playing, etc.

My goal with this was to rant - the purpose for which this "Rant Istaria Style" forum was established - although I'm sure I could have managed to do it a little more constructively.

I tolerate bending of the rules. I tolerate a certain amount of illogical or overly powerful or god-moding or creation of new races or any of that... it's just that when someone does all of these things in the span of an hour and constantly changes and makes up new rules and new forms (like a human-dragon super kawaii teenage girl as a khutit form, out of the blue in the Role Play Channel) that it's a straw that broke the camel's back situation.

I'll read through replies now. I'm sorry for coming across as this insane, rage-filled monster. I have since calmed down a bit, though my point of contention still stands.
    Even humans IRL are not without their primal rage.

We all feel it from time to time, somewhere way deep in the back corners of our mind, comes the urge, the hunger, to wrap our fingers around someone's neck and just squeeze.

Most civilized people can vent this by simply ranting, or stepping away from whatever is causing it, thankfully.

But that doesn't mean that they don't have such primal instincts.

We all do, and anyone who tells you they don't, are kidding themselves.

So there's no shame in ranting some, it is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Order and Chaos weren't even a thing 7 years ago.
    Not sure where you getting your information from, mate.. my charry is 2817 days old. which comes out to just under 7 years, 8 months.when do YOU think istaria started :P
    Horizons Crafting Calculator Update Team Member
    Code Name: Webdragon
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    You can't expect them to go kicking people off the server, 7-8 years later just because you were back then...

Sometimes, rules (or enforcement of such) change. 7-8 years is a long, long time.

I could understand warning some of the more extreme cases, but that's only if warnings are given first and the player is given time to adjust.
    Thats the point im making.. the rules havent changed. what DID change is back when I was on, there WAS a community group that looked at that sort of thing. The community was INVOLVED in CREATING a lot of the Lore now used.

All Im saying is you cant have it both ways. You either have the return to he glory days of the Orders Server RP (which involves taking a strict line against anti-lore RP) or you deal with the people who rp as they feel they see fit.

My argument still stands, if players are not willing to play in a way that is compatible with the Lore, they have no business on Order, and should conduct their RP on chaos. Leave order to those who wish to parcitipate in Istaria RP, AS IT WAS INTENDED. If that ever happens, I might remake a character on there again.
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Valareos View Post
    Not sure where you getting your information from, mate.. my charry is 2817 days old. which comes out to just under 7 years, 8 months.when do YOU think istaria started :P
    Yes, but weren't there more servers called different things back then, before this "merger" I keep hearing of? I joined after said "merger", so I didn't see it back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Yes, but weren't there more servers called different things back then, before this "merger" I keep hearing of? I joined after said "merger", so I didn't see it back then.
    Yes there was, but Order and Chaos were there. The other servers merged INTO one of the two.
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

My argument still stands, if players are not willing to play in a way that is compatible with the Lore, they have no business on Order, and should conduct their RP on chaos. Leave order to those who wish to parcitipate in Istaria RP, AS IT WAS INTENDED. If that ever happens, I might remake a character on there again.
    Never ever tell a player on which shard he/she has to play.
    It would be the doom- not only for our game.
    (I shall not say more about this issue..last time I did, my post has been deleted.^^)

BTW- I shall never understand why we can`t let players do rp, like they want to.
    (as long as they pay a sub^^P, and as long as noone is harrassed or disturbed by a role play in public!)
    Everyone is free to leave a rp he/she does not like.
    Every group of roleplayers is free to exclude folks who do not fit in with their playstyle.

I am not a roleplayer on Order- so pls someone explain to me?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Never ever tell a player on which shard he/she has to play.
    It would be the doom- not only for our game.
    (I shall not say more about this issue..last time I did, my post has been deleted.^^)
    My point was simply that the Order server has a small, but understandable set of rules set up by the developers on what is appropriate on Order. If you can not conform to the RULES of the server, you shouldn't be on it. I play on Chaos because I felt that conforming to the rules of Order would hinder the character I wanted to play.

The rules of order are simply such to allow those who want to immerse into the RP world of Istaria to do so. Characters or RP in public arenas (private they can do what they wish, the rules specifically allow that!) that blatently disregard lore or use modern themes in the fantasy world are breaking those rules.

Please note, again allow me to clarify that where Lore is lacking, creativity is our best weapon. there is no problem with creating a history that fills in blanks where the lore doesnt specify, its the difference between reading a book on WW2 vs reading the diary of a pilot who served. You get a personalized view of the world in which those greater facts exist.

My comments are in relation to the OP complaints, which deal with characters that are so far out of line for what the server was intended that it becomes distracting. Those people are the ones who I claim should seriously think about WHY they are on order to begin with.
    Last edited by Valareos; February 6th, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: clarification
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

Valareos, you seem to disregard the fact that for years Order's RPers have been like they are now, and aren't following all of these old rules. They can't simply say, for example" "ok, my dragon have never been an elemental so I can't have healed this other character from the spirit having possessed him, and so something really different happened, leading to major changes of his RP story,...", "well, my character can't be like this and can't do that so I have to redo, change or simply delete years of RP events, actions, as well as the players who made their characters interact with mine,...". You'd have a look in the shard itself and ask for opinions, you'll see.

I think the true issue, as Shian and Lovwyrm pointed it out, is that there will be clashes as long as people don't let other people to RP as they like and wish, as long as there is no space scaled hamster or demigod,... I really think it could get better if the RPers wanting some freedom and mostly RPing in public just let quiet the RPers who RP more in private, with who they want and where they want, while these mostly private RPers just let others quiet and stay outside of their RPs if they don't share these views and tastes. Maybe should we let the more publicly RPing and less strict RPers deal with those who plan to go too far as I said above.

I think clashes will keep happening if some experienced RPers keep entering public RP channels and areas like NT, and forum discussions about RP only to denigrate names, RP/styles/characters played by players who don't share their opinions on the topic, without trying to help, be soft and be polite, suggesting ideas and see about better suited names, RP things, if needed.

I know I have often said and resaid mostly the same things, expressed my opinion again and again since I am here, about RP matters, but I just feel like I have to, each time an issue related to RP arises on the forum and/or in game, and the issues raised have often been about the same kind of RP things.

I still hope a solution like the one I said above could end these conflicts who deteriorate the shard and the community year after year. Everyone, go with those you want and be happy with them. Let those who don't have your views and tastes be and stay out of their related things.

Not pointing at anyone, again, and expressing my opinion
    Last edited by LungTien Temeraire; February 6th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Yes there was, but Order and Chaos were there. The other servers merged INTO one of the two.
    Ehhh-hem! Not to ... flaunt my ancient, old, war torn muscles and cob webbed memories but...

Order and Chaos were /never/ there in the beginning. In ye old days of Istaria's beginning, there was Expanse [my origin], Unity, And Spirit? or Dawn-something? Those were the RP servers. There were only 3. I have no idea how many PVE servers there were.

There was an insanely huge event that occurred where they took everything down and put us all on a single RP server and PVE server. This is when Chaos and Order were born. Lore wise, it was Istarians escape through a massive machine that portled all who gathered to this new dimension of Istaria, and the Aegis were gathering forces and rising up enmass. I saw Kion's buildings turned over, the lands rotted... and the lights went out that day for a few days to follow. [The entire week the event took place was a hoot!]

But anyhow, it doesn't matter AT ALL to this conversation! I just thought it would be a fun history tid bit.

Related to this conversation... I guess this is LORE grounds for people entering the world from other dimensions!
    Last edited by Chioxin; February 6th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

I was also a member of Ye Olde Pub, and the Forest Clearing RP that used to go on. Great times. I had several characters that didn't quite fit the lore, but were also plausible (Aegis experiments leading to hybrids in particular). Shadow dragons, magma dragons, Sslik that speak like mammals, these things do not bother me a great deal. With a well thought out explanation and keeping it subtle and/or consistent, it can be very enjoyable

What bothers me is things that have no place in Istaria. Things like illusion spells, shapeshifting, demons, genetic (Not scientific) hybrids. These things irritate me to no end, and I have a great deal of difficulty enjoying myself when these elements are thrown around. Unfortunately, they have become very common as of late, and I find myself spending most of my time ignoring the RP channel.

It may seem hypocritical for me to say such things, as Ssil is far from ordinary. Very old, held together with Blight magic, serves an entity that may be Kasha or may be something very bad. Certainly an evil character who does not shy away from pointing out that it is a murderer. Most of it's backstory is from unofficial lore. But I do believe that it is consistent with Istarian lore, and not too far out there.

So, I guess all of that together says that there is lots of room for creativity within established lore. It's when characters begin to step out of lore that issues start to arise. Or worse, when characters make themselves stupid powerful in ways that have no basis or place in Istaria. There is actually a lot to go off of, and things that can be extrapolated from the lore. Use that as the basis, and it's all good.

On a side note, the thing that really drives me up the wall is people who cannot be bothered to use punctuation, capitalization or proper grammar in their RP. I realize that not all are perfect, and that many do not have English as a first language. But if you cannot put in the effort to put a capital at the start of a sentence and a period at the end, then I do not feel the need to put in the effort to interact with you.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    Ehhh-hem! Not to ... flaunt my ancient, old, war torn muscles and cob webbed memories but...

Order and Chaos were /never/ there in the beginning. In ye old days of Istaria's beginning, there was Expanse [my origin], Unity, And Spirit? or Dawn-something? Those were the RP servers. There were only 3. I have no idea how many PVE servers there were.
    I find that odd, because my main character has Chaos as his origin, and yet i firmly remember the server merges TO Chaos. it was a big thing about the Plots and how everyone got a token and had to use that token to put a claim on a plot, and after all claims were in, they did a random spin. In fact, this was the first time novians ever came about, so people who had built a plot but lost it in the merge could rebuild somewhere else. Unity and Expanse was not even visible on my side. Perhaps the difference is because those were the European servers and us in US couldnt see them? This was back when you accessed Istaria through play.horizons.com so it would have been rather simple to have the webpage show something different
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

Oh! Then that's very very interesting indeed!

I knew there was a problem with combining servers due to plots. I remember that quite well, and the auctions and bidding that went on for it I think. Rough times.

That makes what "happened" lore wise very strange then to me... but again... this was a /long/ long time ago =) I don't remember paying attention at all to PVE servers, and maybe order was there? I did remember the RP servers that were around, and I'm pretty sure "Order" was not among them.

I did try to find a list... I did a few seraches, but nothing turned up.

Oh wells!

Here is a link to a copy of the announcement of the creation of the North American Shards of Order and Chaos in 2004, Chaos and Order were a product of the shard merge event and did not exist before the merge.

http://guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?Gu...TopicID=631316

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Here is a link to a copy of the announcement of the creation of the North American Shards of Order and Chaos in 2004, Chaos and Order were a product of the shard merge event and did not exist before the merge.

http://guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?Gu...TopicID=631316

Knossos
    Ok... so i started playing 3 months before the merge. after nearly 8 years, it explains why I think ive always been on chaos. strange thing is, i recognize those servers, but i dont remember ever being on any of them -.- TIme plays funny tricks on the mind
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

Just so ya knows Valareos... Chioxin is 2980-ish days old I should do something when that hits 3000! We can have us an old foggies party! 2500 days and up!

But anyway!!! We were ranting here!!!! Ya!!! =D Owe... my old bones!

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    Just so ya knows Valareos... Chioxin is 2980-ish days old I should do something when that hits 3000! We can have us an old foggies party! 2500 days and up!

But anyway!!! We were ranting here!!!! Ya!!! =D Owe... my old bones!
    Cackles. i think the rant is pretty much done -.- from here I only see argument going in circles.

BTW, great job all on keeping this as a good, healthy discussion without descending to flame wars and insults. Not all of us are in agreeance, but at least every argument was well thought out and valid for proper discussion of the topic at hand.

Doubt any other MMORPG can lay claim to having civilized players
    SysAdmin, Head Developer

I am very curious about this merge thing you guys are talking about... I bet that was awesome. Were there more players, back then?

Vamalchior

Quote Originally Posted by Kryodrache View Post
    I am very curious about this merge thing you guys are talking about... I bet that was awesome. Were there more players, back then?
    Yes, and to my pleasure, there were far more bipeds than there were dragons I think.

I miss those days.

I want my bipeds back =( I liked being in the minority.... Like it should be... sigh....

Thread Information