Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-game Clock

Default In-game Clock

This morning, I logged on for a little bit before work to start gathering materials for a tool claw, and I knew that I had roughly an hour to spend, and I started playing and at one point, I glanced about the screen and I was like "oh crap, there's no clock!" so I had to stop and go find my watch just so I know what time it is.

Many other MMORPGs have a clock on-screen somewhere (usually near the minimap, something else we still don't have).

Could we add a window that can be opened in Istaria that simply displays the current Local time? Wouldn't even have to be anything fancy, and it would only be on-screen if you chose to open the window (maybe make it a /command like the lag window).

It'd be a nice thing to have so I don't have to sit here wearing a watch while playing the game.

Also, a long time ago one of the devs responded to my request for a minimap (or some sort of 'lite' map window that could be used as one) saying that it was being "considered"... any updates on that?

Order/Chaos, Harro and Pleasant Canyon respectively

Default Re: In-game Clock

I second this idea! I play windowed so I have my clock in the windows bar, but still, it would be verrrry nice to have it in game too! : D
    Please consider this for us?

I agree. Although Ipersonally would make of much use of it since I play in the Summer and have almost unlimited time. Although for people that need to know the time it would be great.

I would also like to add something more to this. Many people like to arange meetings and it's hard for people to have to change the given time to their time. So, what if we had an ingame clock which would be the same time for everyone in the game (and maybe we could have another one in the forum with the same time as ingame, I'll live this one to the devs). That way we could arange meetings based on Istarian time instead of everyone's individual time. We could even have an ingame "Big Ben".
    Just giving ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Many other MMORPGs have a clock on-screen somewhere (usually near the minimap, something else we still don't have).
    I don't understand this statement. Are you saying we don't have a in game mini-map? I thought the map that we have in game; in which you can zoom in and out on, place markers on, has coordinates, colored, shaded, expandable, and can be placed anywhere on your screen... Was indeed a mini-map?!

Also, I really don't see the need for a in-game clock.. But than again, I don't see why not if its easy to implement.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    I don't understand this statement. Are you saying we don't have a in game mini-map? I thought the map that we have in game; in which you can zoom in and out on, place markers on, has coordinates, colored, shaded, expandable, and can be placed anywhere on your screen... Was indeed a mini-map?!

Also, I really don't see the need for a in-game clock.. But than again, I don't see why not if its easy to implement.
    It is possible to use Istaria's map function as a sort of minimap kludge, but there are a couple problems with this:

1). It has large black borders around it (for the various buttons/functions) that take up lots of extra room; a real mini-map has only a zoom in/out function (and as such, no huge boarders eating up screen space, the zoom in/out buttons are usually tiny to conserve room) and doesn't show names/markers/etc. It lets you see the terrain right near you, and depending on the MMORPG, can sometimes show you things like where your quests take place, or arrows pointing you to a destination.

2). Using the "Istaria Kludge" takes the place of the real map function. In other MMORPGs, you have a little small mini-map, but if you needed to pause for a sec and take a look at the real map, you'd hit a key (usually M) and you get a full-screen full detailed map if you needed to get your bearings in the world. If you use the kludge of shrinking your Istaria map down into something like a minimap, you can no longer do this -- hitting M simply closes that little map. You have to stop, and re-size the map to look at a bigger area, zoom in/out/enable labels, buttons, markers, etc and then once you're done, you gotta re-size it back down to the small little window you were using as your minimap and/or uncheck the labels, markers, etc that you were looking at.

It just feels really clunky and sometimes I find myself getting lost because I'm used to having this function in other games.

Same goes for the in-game clock; most other games have a clock printed right on the screen. I run the game Full-screen (as I do all games), so I do not have the option of using the systray clock and have to rely on watches, or putting a clock in my room, etc. In my bedroom, the clock is facing the bed, which makes it not in view from where I sit at the computer, forcing me to either wear a watch or to hang it next to the screen or something. It'd just be easier if it were put in-game, it should be a simple and easy-to-code solution.

I've already suggested a minimap before as I previously mentioned, and I could understand if that would be more difficult to code, but surely a clock.. something simple like that wouldn't be that hard, could it? Best of all, it could be an option like the Lag Window that people don't have to turn on if they don't want/need it.

Edit: If you need more examples (screenshots), I could provide those, if you still don't get what I'm referring to.
    Last edited by Dhalin; February 10th, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

I've already suggested a minimap before as I previously mentioned, and I could understand if that would be more difficult to code, but surely a clock.. something simple like that wouldn't be that hard, could it?
    Aside from 'This is Istaria' it wouldn't be difficult at all. The act of getting the local time is in fact very simple and can be done with about 4 lines of code total (with C++). Where complexity might come into play is displaying the time, but assuming whatever method Istaria uses to handle windows such as the FPS or Lag window is something they can derive from than making a very basic window to display the current time should be almost as easy (I say 'should' because of the whole 'This is Istaria' bit I mentioned and the reality could mean a complicated ritual of "Please don't break something completely unrelated" is involved).
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Aside from 'This is Istaria' it wouldn't be difficult at all. The act of getting the local time is in fact very simple and can be done with about 4 lines of code total (with C++). Where complexity might come into play is displaying the time, but assuming whatever method Istaria uses to handle windows such as the FPS or Lag window is something they can derive from than making a very basic window to display the current time should be almost as easy (I say 'should' because of the whole 'This is Istaria' bit I mentioned and the reality could mean a complicated ritual of "Please don't break something completely unrelated" is involved).
    *nods* That's what I was thinking. They could even integrate it into an existing window, like Lag Window for example. Or maybe the compass, put another checkbox that says "Display Time" and the Time would be displayed underneath the compass/coordinates display.

It is possible to use Istaria's map function as a sort of minimap kludge, but there are a couple problems with this:

1). It has large black borders around it (for the various buttons/functions) that take up lots of extra room; a real mini-map has only a zoom in/out function (and as such, no huge boarders eating up screen space, the zoom in/out buttons are usually tiny to conserve room) and doesn't show names/markers/etc. It lets you see the terrain right near you, and depending on the MMORPG, can sometimes show you things like where your quests take place, or arrows pointing you to a destination.

2). Using the "Istaria Kludge" takes the place of the real map function. In other MMORPGs, you have a little small mini-map, but if you needed to pause for a sec and take a look at the real map, you'd hit a key (usually M) and you get a full-screen full detailed map if you needed to get your bearings in the world. If you use the kludge of shrinking your Istaria map down into something like a minimap, you can no longer do this -- hitting M simply closes that little map. You have to stop, and re-size the map to look at a bigger area, zoom in/out/enable labels, buttons, markers, etc and then once you're done, you gotta re-size it back down to the small little window you were using as your minimap and/or uncheck the labels, markers, etc that you were looking at.
    Based on your description (as if though your description is "right" when it comes to mini-maps) is something I DON'T want in this game. I'd much rather have a fully fuctioning, expandable, zoomable, marker placing, depth, shaded, clear map like the one we already have. No need to add a dumbed down version of a map, just to press "m" to get a full map.. When you can already expand the current fully functioning one we currently have the luxury of using..... So I hope they don't implement this de-evolution of maps you want.

It just feels really clunky and sometimes I find myself getting lost because I'm used to having this function in other games.
    Sometimes you have to learn and adapt.

In my bedroom, the clock is facing the bed, which makes it not in view from where I sit at the computer, forcing me to either wear a watch or to hang it next to the screen or something. It'd just be easier if it were put in-game, it should be a simple and easy-to-code solution.
    Alright. I need to highlight this one very clearly. You're saying its easier for them to code in a clock; finding a clear place where it could be used for all; not interfering with anything; taking in to affect all the different time zones for all those that play; is easier than you turning around to look at your own clock behind you? Are you serious?

You're talking about them taking countless hours trying to implement something that is absolutely not needed because you are one of maybe 10 people that play in fullscreen mode and can't turn around to look at a clock so your not late for work/school which is your obligation?

Anyone else see where I'm going here?

I've already suggested a minimap before as I previously mentioned, and I could understand if that would be more difficult to code, but surely a clock..something simple like that wouldn't be that hard, could it? Best of all, it could be an option like the Lag Window that people don't have to turn on if they don't want/need it.
    We have a mini-map. Might not be up to what you describe as a mini-map but, with all things, it can be described differently. And my description says, we have a mini-map. Better and more evolved than those none customizable ones you speak of in these other games.

Leave it the way it is please

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Based on your description (as if though your description is "right" when it comes to mini-maps) is something I DON'T want in this game. I'd much rather have a fully fuctioning, expandable, zoomable, marker placing, depth, shaded, clear map like the one we already have. No need to add a dumbed down version of a map, just to press "m" to get a full map.. When you can already expand the current fully functioning one we currently have the luxury of using..... So I hope they don't implement this de-evolution of maps you want.
    Why not? You could turn this mini-map off if you wish. Nothing is forcing you to use it. The mini-map I am speaking of is a 2nd, shrunk down version of the main map that you are not forced to use. Saying "I don't want it!" to something that is optional is making you look like that guy who shoots down things just for the sake of shooting them down.

Nobody is telling you to use this new feature. It is a window you can choose to open, or just leave closed if you don't like it. The truth of it is though, this is a standard feature in most other competitive MMORPGs on the market, and people are used to having it. Is there a reason why Istaria shouldn't adapt a function that has been proven to work, and has been proven to be a very nice and handy thing to have? Or should we just stop improving Istaria because there's some "old vets" that don't think newer players should have access to QoL things like this?

Again, let me re-iterate: If you don't want this feature, you don't have to use it. I and some other players certainly would..

And I'm not getting why you call it a "de-evolutionized" map. The current map would still be there, we'd just be adding a 2nd one that you can keep on-screen at all times that you don't have to re-size every time you want to look at the full map. It is kinda like, I don't know, using a GPS and having a paper map in the car at the same time. While driving, you glance over at the GPS now-and-then to get an aerial view of your current surroundings. But if you get truly lost on the grand scale, instead of fiddling with buttons the GPS, you could pull over and open your paper map for example.

As for the clock, well, as another player mentioned, it is what, 4 lines of C++ code? And a /window command to bring up a small little window? Again,this is something nearly every other MMORPG has. They have this for a reason. C++ has many little "widgets" and things, and one of them is "display the local time". You don't need to know the time-zones, there's a C++ function (and I'm sure most other programming languages have similar, I know BASIC does too) that calls up the time via the system clock and displays it on screen. You don't have to be a coding master to know how to do this. The code is already written, you only need to add it to your app via a simple routine.

finding a clear place where it could be used for all;
    If it's added to a window like the lag window then this is irrelevant.

not interfering with anything;
    It shouldn't interfere with anything at all.

taking in to affect all the different time zones for all those that play;
    There is absolutely no extra work to account for time zones.

You're talking about them taking countless hours trying to implement something that is absolutely not needed because you are one of maybe 10 people that play in fullscreen mode and can't turn around to look at a clock so your not late for work/school which is your obligation?
    It would not take "countless hours" unless Istaria is the most poorly programmed game in history.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

As for the clock, well, as another player mentioned, it is what, 4 lines of C++ code? And a /window command to bring up a small little window? Again,this is something nearly every other MMORPG has. They have this for a reason. C++ has many little "widgets" and things, and one of them is "display the local time". You don't need to know the time-zones, there's a C++ function (and I'm sure most other programming languages have similar, I know BASIC does too) that calls up the time via the system clock and displays it on screen. You don't have to be a coding master to know how to do this. The code is already written, you only need to add it to your app via a simple routine.
    Essentially:

time_t rawTime = time(NULL);
    string localTimeStr = asctime(localtime(&rawTime));

You can compress it down to just 1 line even but its not really worth the decreased readability.

Actually, while in the shower, the whole minimap thing would be very easily solved by doing the following:

1). Add a new window, call it 'minimap'.
    2). Allow us to display it using a text command: /window minimap
    3). Make it exactly the same as the map (thus, just simply copy&paste all of the Map window's code)

Viola, you're done. Now players can have both the main map (currently brought up by hitting "M") AND, if they CHOOSE, they could ALSO have the minimap (brought up with the text command above), similar to the way you can spawn as many chat windows as you like, why can't we spawn two map windows?

Players like me would take one of those map windows (the one you bring up using the M key) and expand it to fill most of the screen. The other, we'd shrink down, size it right, and remove the border and buttons and stick it in the corner of the screen.

That way I'd be happy, and you'd be happy too. Everyone would be happy as this would negatively impact no one.

Essentially:

You can compress it down to just 1 line even but its not really worth the decreased readability.
    I knew it was something like that, but ... it has been 12 years+ since I studied C++ in highschool, so I couldn't remember the exact syntax. I knew it involved invoking a system variable, and loading its contents into a string (which could easily be called anytime in any window).

I will say it would be nice to be able to, at the very least (in regards to the mini-map idea) have a basic-UI map window that is handled separately from the main map window.

Essentially:

That's the core of it, yes, though, aside from displaying localTimeStr, there's an issue of making sure the client doesn't call the above every frame.

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's not as trivial as two lines of code.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I might be devil’s advocate but ......

Don`t have Pc’s already a clock in their bottom toolbar? So Full window mode (toolbar visible) + game = Clock visible. Problem solved!

No offense but I think that Dev’s have much more important things to do than installing a clock which we already can see on our pc.

Indeed, an ingame clock would be nice, but since the recomended setup to run Istaria is windowed mode - it is kinda redundant...
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Here's a thought

Get the clock here:
    http://mythmaiden.com/sands_of_time.html

ahh Mimir.. similar item on my desk Thats best- indeed!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

It may be redundant, but I think this is the only MMORPG that doesnt have an ingame time display...

Its just one of those littie things that dates/ages the game. Yea it seems silly or redundant or small - but small things do add up yaknow?

And yea like another poster said, having a "game time" that also displayed is AWESOME for coordinating events.

WOW does this because the clock in the game displays server time (wherver the server is you are logging into) and everyone in the game operates using SERVER time to coordinate things which ..believe it or not..makes it SO MUCH EASIER to do things.

The first time I was exposed to it I was annoyed because its 2 hours behind my time zone and I was like "waht do I care what time it is on the server" but once you start attending events and groups and such you realize just how awesome it is to just say "Everyone here at 6 server" and everyone knows what time that means to them.

Probably out of the abilities of our own Istaria but that is sooo helpful!! I know reading all the Order posts trying to get people together online and havingto post up 12 different timezones for everyone to try and figure out what time the poster is meaning - this would be a loved feature on Order. LOL.

Now that I have server time in WoW - I really notice the lack of such a thing in new games (like SW:TOR) when trying to schedule stuff with friends and guildies.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information