Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Football" vs "Handegg"

Default "Football" vs "Handegg"

So, I was away from Ragecomics for awhile (I know, tragedy, right?) for awhile.

I've been busy, and I usually try to keep up with em, as you'll find awesome gems in amidst the stupid stuff.

Anyways, I ran into an argument there, having to do with the term "Handegg" when being used to describe American "Football".

First off, I'll say that I am an American, and I would have to agree with the "Handegg" crowd and here's why:

The term "football" implies that the game is played by using one's feet (or one of their feet) to interact with the ball.

For those of you who don't know much about American "Football", there are only three plays in which a player uses their feet to do anything with the ball:

1). Kickoff: At the beginning of the game (and the 2nd half?), the ball is kicked.

2). Punt: When a team is about to lose control of the ball due to running out of chances ("downs"), they will sometimes punt/kick the ball to get it away from the opposing team's goal line ("Endzone").

3). Field Goal: When a team is on their last "down", and they are near the Endzone they were trying to reach, they can kick the ball trying to make it go between the two posts at the Endzone. Doing this gives a small number of points, which is better than no points at all.

Otherwise, the entire game is played by either carrying or throwing the ball by hand. The three plays above account for what, maybe 10% of all plays made during a game? So, during 90% of the game, no feet actually kick or even touch the ball whatsoever.

The whole debate was sparked by a word conflict -- "Soccer", for those Americans who don't know what that is, is a game in which a round ball is kicked back and forth a field. The game plays similar to Hockey, in that there's a netted goal on either end of the field, and in Soccer, a player is forbidden to touch the ball with anything but their head or their feet, unless they are the goalie, IIRC.

Over in England and other parts of Europe, Soccer is commonly referred to, yes, as "Football" because it literally is Foot Ball -- the ball is kicked back and forth the field with the players' feet.

Meanwhile, American Football, or what some British/Europeans call "Handegg", has nothing to do with kicking the ball whatsoever. The reason they chose "Handegg" instead of "Handball" is that the ball used in American "Football" is more shaped like an egg than it is an actual round ball.

So with that in mind, anyone wishing to discuss this topic, I would kindly ask that we stay away from the discussion of "which game is better", or "which game is more enjoyable", or "which game is more fun/popular/whatever" as the entire subject behind this post is the naming of the game and the term "Handegg".

Default Re: "Football" vs "Handegg"

You're also talking about the same people who use their own measuring systems like feet and inches instead of just using what everyone else in the world uses :P
    Honestly, I think football it the least bit o' problem in that regard of "why the heck is this backwards?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    You're also talking about the same people who use their own measuring systems like feet and inches instead of just using what everyone else in the world uses :P
    Honestly, I think football it the least bit o' problem in that regard of "why the heck is this backwards?"
    Didn't the British invent that measuring system? Do they use Metric now? That'd be a sure case of irony, lol. The British invent a measuring system that the US adopts; the British abandon it and use Metrics but yet the US keeps using it... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Didn't the British invent that measuring system? Do they use Metric now? That'd be a sure case of irony, lol. The British invent a measuring system that the US adopts; the British abandon it and use Metrics but yet the US keeps using it... lol.
    The british folk I know measure themselves in stones still....

Warhammer, a British originating game, uses "Inches" and not "Centimeters"

But yes, for the most part Europe has switched to the metric system. I wish the US would too!

A discussion on the irony of American Football being called "Football"...

I dont know if you can get much of a discussion on that. Other than, "yup makes no sense.." LOL

If anyone is looking to change it well that aint gonna happen..so not sure why this is such a "big" topic of dsicussion anywhere. The $$$$ in it means it ain't gonna be handball or handegg or padded-ball (since games like EU football and soccer and rugby dont have the pads...) or anything else...ever...

Jut like the US aint gonna go metric either - the amount of $$$ it would cost to change everything would be astronomical. Just isnt worth it when it doesn't really matter much which system one uses as long as the place you are at all uses SOME type of standard (much like the idea of stones for weight...).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Even more accurately descriptive: handlemon.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Even more accurately descriptive: handlemon.
    .........handlemon?

........ I don't get it?

Is the 'handle' part referring to the field goal posts? *blinks confusedly*

Hand lemon I think

I don't think I'd ever want to go see a game called 'hand lemon'....

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Hand lemon I think

I don't think I'd ever want to go see a game called 'hand lemon'....
    OH! haha, didn't catch that.

Um... well, the ball doesn't really fit a lemon shape either... a lemon is indeed smaller at one end, but not the other... but then, an egg is similar... lol.

Dunno who ever came up with that weird ball shape.

Rugby players. :P

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    Rugby players. :P

The americans should just lose the whole armor suite and play what the british are calling rugby... same ball...

As for the metric system... USA and UK originate from the same gene pool... So naturally they are both very stuborn about dropping their miles and stones...

Now I would love to see who is more stuborn in the end... USA/UK vs The World.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    As for the metric system... USA and UK originate from the same gene pool... So naturally they are both very stuborn about dropping their miles and stones...
    Maybe I missed something... Does the UK have as extensive an immigration history as the US?

I'd just as soon see the game involving the ol' pigskin be called something reflecting that, if it were to change from football. The big sweaty players could be called pigs, the field could be the pig sty... Hmmm, maybe not such a popular image there. Can you tell I'm not much for following sports?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Maybe I missed something... Does the UK have as extensive an immigration history as the US?

I'd just as soon see the game involving the ol' pigskin be called something reflecting that, if it were to change from football. The big sweaty players could be called pigs, the field could be the pig sty... Hmmm, maybe not such a popular image there. Can you tell I'm not much for following sports?
    I don't like sports either, but eh.

As I said in the OP, we really shouldn't get into whether or not we like the sport (or any sports) because of just how volatile such a discussion is.

I mean, for pete's sake, murders are committed because of "Football" games around this area (Pennsylvania and their Steelers... *eyeroll*)

God Forbid you be a fan of any other team in Southwestern PA... you better not wear any insignia or even mention it, because you could be killed or seriously harmed for it. I'm not kidding; that's actually happened.

It is absolutely silly, IMO.

*Snickers*

Americans and their Football aint got nothign on the body count of the Middle East and SouthAmerican Countries and their soccer..

So yes..lets not go there. Stay focused on the silly factt that it is misnamed and means something entirely d ifferent to the rest of the sporting world outside of the US.

And the US seem sto be the only country who uses pads in their version (something I would rather prefer as a player, the rugby/soccer head injuries along..my god..why would anyone put themselve sin that type of risk?) =D
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

So the game of Baseball by the above logic should be called Batball? or BallBat? Glovehitthrowball? How about ThrowHitMissRunSlideStealBalkWalkHomeRunSingleDoub leTrippleBall? I like it.

But...what in the world does the name Soccer have to do with anything related to that game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    So the game of Baseball by the above logic should be called Batball? or BallBat? Glovehitthrowball? How about ThrowHitMissRunSlideStealBalkWalkHomeRunSingleDoub leTrippleBall? I like it.

But...what in the world does the name Soccer have to do with anything related to that game?
    There's a little difference between calling a game "Football" when you never use your feet (well, almost never) and "Baseball" which actually is about a ball and 4 "bases".

And not every game has to be ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin, but yet, "Football".... its just backwards. lol.

Over here we call American Football...Gridiron. Although that name always makes me think of barbeques.

I guess we needed a different name for it.. even though it's got almost zero popularity here because we already have...

Rugby Union (football)
    Rugby League (football)
    Australian Rules (football)
    Soccer (football)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortura View Post
    Over here we call American Football...Gridiron. Although that name always makes me think of barbeques.
    You mean American Football isn't about Barbeques? It was an excuse to have people over for a barbeque!

I just don't see why it wasn't called American Rugby from the get go.. since it way more resembles Rugby the it does Soccer..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Maybe they thought "Rugby" didn't sound 'good enough'? who knows...

They coulda called it a lot of things...

Tackleball ... you play a game of tackle that somewhat involves a ball. That would make more sense, right?

Or any made-up word would have worked.

Oh well.

I still think "Handegg" fits the bill. That, or Tackleball. Tackleball sounds a little more butch. It seems a lot of "Football" fans like to portray themselves as the manly types or some-such. *shrugs* Wouldn't know, not a fan myself.

Oh, and Frith: I don't care what sport it is, or where in the world it is, getting so worked up that people get harmed (or worse, killed) is just dead wrong. There's no excuse for it. It is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT. Getting that "into" a team presents a whole slew of mental issues, as surely you know. I'm not saying you advocate such behavior, but merely waving it off going "pssh, its worse with blah blah sport in blah blah country" doesn't make what happens here right.

I think it is everyone's responsibility to do their best to make sure this type of crap doesn't happen. It is just a freaking game. I really wish some of these people would realize that and grow up already.

Thread Information