Thread: Unplayable.

Default Unplayable.

Now. Istaria is a hard game. I know that, already. I've played enough of it to figure this out. It's tough, it's challenging, it makes you get involved with the community, and I love that. I really do. I love how complex it is, how much I have to learn about it to play it. I'm totally fine with this.

What is NOT okay is the fact that, as I leveled up Symazok... I started to face severe problems with the game.

My first clue was when I went to see Djawn's assention(sp?). The game crashed like 6 times trying to get up there, following Silverth through the terrain. I was starting to feel anxious, afraid they might go on without me. Thankfully, they were patient and allowed me to get there in time to see it.

My second problem occured when Symazok became essentially crash-locked. I went to the Floating Isle under prompting from another friend... and it crashed. And crashed. And crashed. And crashed. Each time I logged in, I'd see only a glimpse of Symazok, before it crashed. Eventually I hammered the recall button and managed to get ported back. I tweaked a few things, hoping to fix the problem... and went back. Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash. I couldn't even see Symazok anymore, it crashed in the loading screen. So for two, maybe three days, I was effectively locked out of the game. Which, by the way, I have paid for to use for this month.

I sent a ticket, and we've been trying to find the problem for a while. I asked for a recall, so that I might be able to play Symazok, intending to use an alt to keep an eye on the floating isle. The reason why I'd gone up there, the second time, was to get to a quest NPC from the ROP questline. As I was told it was accessible in a different method, I began to go the long way around. I ported to Tazoon, and started the long trekk up to the Sanctuary. And right as I hit the foothills, chased by several treants...

Crash. Crash. CRASH. CRASH. CRASH.

The game has become unplayable. I cannot fix it. The devs are having trouble finding the problem. I paid for a game that I can't get very far in, if all the 30+ areas are locked out, for me. I cannot ascend to adulthood with this character because of it. And it's not just Symazok; none of my characters can go to these areas. I'm starting to get really, really, really pissed off. And that takes a lot for me, because I'm tolerant when it comes to glitches. I can normally find the problem and fix it. But this defies fixing. I'm quite glad I only paid for a single month, rather than put in a subscription. Because, if this cannot be fixed before my time is up ......?

I'm not coming back.

Vamalchior

Default Re: Unplayable.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Symazok
    I wish you the best luck to have your issues get fixed as soon as possible. *winghugs

I had terrible crashing problems for almost a year. It was affecting Istaria and not a single other graphics heavy game. Since it was only affecting Istaria, I jumped to the conclusion that it must be a problem with Istaria.

After biting the bullet and calling dell tech support, they replaced my motherboard.

I can now play any game for hours with no crashes or restarts. Moral of the story is: the problem might not actually be on their end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    I had terrible crashing problems for almost a year. It was affecting Istaria and not a single other graphics heavy game. Since it was only affecting Istaria, I jumped to the conclusion that it must be a problem with Istaria.

After biting the bullet and calling dell tech support, they replaced my motherboard.

I can now play any game for hours with no crashes or restarts. Moral of the story is: the problem might not actually be on their end.
    Well, here's the thing... my motherboard is new. I had to replace it after it got fried some time back. And to be honest... I don't think it's entirely worth it to go spend that much money to get this game to work correctly. I'm a college student... I can't just toss around cash like that.

Vamalchior

Some things that jump out to me straightaway to investigate

1. World Cache corruption - If you haven't already the world cache needs to be manually removed and redownloaded.

2. Corrupt graphics files or definitions in the Istaria installation - Install Istaria again in a separate directory, run from there see if the same things happen.

3. Corrupt character profile data in Istaria install - this has caused situations like this in the past.

4. Incompatibility issues with graphics card driver and/or Istaria.

Painful but you have to keep eliminating possibilities until you hit the right cause. Computers are too complex for their own good sometimes.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Some things that jump out to me straightaway to investigate

1. World Cache corruption - If you haven't already the world cache needs to be manually removed and redownloaded.

2. Corrupt graphics files or definitions in the Istaria installation - Install Istaria again in a separate directory, run from there see if the same things happen.

3. Corrupt character profile data in Istaria install - this has caused situations like this in the past.

4. Incompatibility issues with graphics card driver and/or Istaria.

Painful but you have to keep eliminating possibilities until you hit the right cause. Computers are too complex for their own good sometimes.
    #1: Check, did it.
    #2: I might try this, see what happens.
    #3: I reinstalled, the same issue prevailed.
    #4: That would be difficult to manage, unless Istaria does not like Geforce graphic cards, which in that case would really suck as I spent a hundred bucks on that!

I agree, computers can be a pain in the butt. I've never had a game glitch up this badly before, though, except for maybe Oblivion when it refused to play and kept freezing, but I eventually found a fix for even that. Took weeks to do it.

Vamalchior

In a similar process following Sindala's thread, do you happen to have .maura and .dmp files in your logs directory after a crash?
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryodrache View Post
    #4: That would be difficult to manage, unless Istaria does not like Geforce graphic cards, which in that case would really suck as I spent a hundred bucks on that!
    It definitely has no general objection to Nvidia cards. The drivers, on the other hand...every driver version is different. For example, the first Mass Effect game has problems with specific versions.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    In a similar process following Sindala's thread, do you happen to have .maura and .dmp files in your logs directory after a crash?
    They are indeed in there. I'm not sure what they're for, exactly.

I reinstalled the game to a different directory and updated my GeForce graphic cards... it worked. .....For about eight minutes. And then I began to crash, again, as Symazok in the Sanctuary.

Why does a game that's so cool have to hate me so much? ;_;

Vamalchior

Can you zip up and attach the .dmp and .maura files from the last 3 crashes (6 files total), then add them to your ticket?

The .maura file contains a textual description of the crash, including (sometimes) a snapshot of the functions the client was calling at the time, and the CPU state. The .dmp file contains more detailed information. Between the two, it may be possible to determine where in the program code the client is crashing, and narrow down the cause.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Aww I'm so sorry to hear this Symzaok!! I hope others can help you figure out what's going on (and you are right, no you should not have to replace hardware just to play a single game so if that's the issue its totally understandable if you have to quit playing for now!)

I have upgraded my computer to play the "latest and greatest" from time to time (when it was about due anyway so XYZ game provided just the last straw motivation to actually invest the cash lol); but this game is neither and you are right - cash is precious.

I hope troubleshooting fixes your issues!!!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Something else as a workaround (might work, might not work)

1. Create a system restore point

2. Remove your graphics driver (need to make sure the dll files are fully removed as a default windows doesn't remove them).

This is a tool I use sometimes to get rid of stubborn drivers http://www.phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

3. Install an older (more stable) version of the graphics driver for the card.

4. Create another restore point

5. Try Istaria again see if it makes any difference.

The likes of Nvidia/ATI etc all try to be the 1st with the latest uber all singing and all dancing hardware and software. They push things to market many times before they are fully tested to try and get a competitive edge.

If you haven't already please give Steelclaw the crash files he needs.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

there used to be a problem with the floating island and one type of graphics card, but I can't remember which one so that's not much help I'm afraid.

I know I never used to be able to go there without crashing.
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    there used to be a problem with the floating island and one type of graphics card, but I can't remember which one so that's not much help I'm afraid.

I know I never used to be able to go there without crashing.
    Yup, ATI was the culprit. I had to install Catalyst drivers to 'fix' this, but that was years ago. Horizons seemed to have serious issues with ATI for a while there, but Floating Island was the worst, but this was all fixed years ago I believe (though I do have nVidia now so I wouldn't really know).

Massive suckiness, Kyrodache, about not getting in but hopefully with some more help and a bit of luck, you'll get there in the end

(I know it's all been said, but sounds like a corrupt cache or worse, problems with your hdd)

Good luck!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Thread Information