Thread: Frosthounds

Thumbs down Frosthounds

Okay, I figured this one deserved its own special thread.

Now, there are many quest mobs out there that tend to be difficult. They provide a challenge that some players really do need in Istaria in order to keep it exciting and fun. These mobs are great, but when you encounter a specific mob that you need for a quest that dodges.... and dodges.... and dodges.... you get frustrated. Very, very frustrated.

These rating 100-110 mobs aren't a challenge. These mobs are bothersome and tiresome to grind to complete the 20/20 requirement for the quest (I mean, even ED and DD's mobs are easier to deal with than these!).

What does the community feel about mobs such as these? What are your thoughts on them and do feel like the devs should lower their dodge rate?

Anyways, I had to rant about this. Feel free to post!

Default Re: Frosthounds

I personally haven't fought them since they were put in (think, Dralnok's Doom, so quite a while indeed), so take what I say with a grain of salt and of course it is just my opinion, so I assure I am in no way trying to be argumentative, but I am pretty much disagreeing with you on some points.

They, like other hounds/wolfies dodge extremely well... but at least these buggers don't stun (think, blight hounds) however, their aura/shield is cause for concern if the fight gets drawn out (do they have that, or is it just icy dire wolves...?). These buggers definitely are a challenge and I certainly remember thinking they are far more powerful than any other mobs their rating (named/epics excluded of course). Based on that alone, they could do with some adjustments... but, I personally see no overwhelming reason to lower their evasion as you've suggested. I thought they had a huge health pool though, far outside normal range for t6 mobs, so that could be looked at perhaps. The point I'm trying to make here, is that high evasion is a trait of all wolves, so it will be exceptionally high for a t6 mob... as an example, lets assume they get 12+ evasion per lvl, so at lvl 110 their evasion would be 1300+ and given that most skills naturally max at 1000 that certainly leaves a considerable difference... further asside, my nature/spirit typically sit around 1600 and blight hounds still mock me when I miss, so they must have some insane evasion.

If you're only going after them for a quest, then I don't think it really matters. Just holla for healer/stunner or another dragon (or two) and they will become considerably easier (I understand you're on Order so this might not be as easy as if you were on Chaos).

I hope it's a fair assumption to say you're a dragon and probably relying on melee? It might be worthwhile re-examining your TP distribution and techs... or perhaps try spells. They might be far less damaging (compared to GR), but if they actually hit then that's not always a bad thing Perhaps consider socketing some slash res/ward xtals, not to mention munch on some to help boost that higher again.

--[ OT: I don't really think there is a single quest item in the game that is really worth it (well Volcano/Drulkar's Wrath and Bard's Tail are probably good counter examples)... that's not to say I don't love every quest and every quest item that I have which is choking my vault (and ~6 vault toons), but most of the best stuff is either player made or drops from an epic (neither require any quests), everything else is just fluff really. ]--

I hope they ease up on you and their DP's out number yours
    Best of luck,
    See yas in Istaria
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

hmmm well I don't remember fighting them all that well, haven't been on my ancient fluffbutt for a loooong time, only during maint and even then I'd be sitting in Dralk.

I do remember them being evasive little buggers though, but not by any chance "hard", just one of those cases where it's actually a smart idea to do them one at a time.

I remember fighting them, on a naka using mage its good to keep the stunned and attack them with spells, but yes they do still dodge quite a bit.

It helps if you are single pulling, more then one and they usually do some pretty harsh damage. I know it can be frustrating but try to see it as a challenge perhaps. Personally when i fight them i feel sort of like a hatchie again trying to figure out the game xD.

I'm not positive what works best with attacking them, but hey if you have to kill 20 switch it up least it might give you something to do. Like try killing one in Khrutit form :P

Best of luck

Personally I don't like the T6+ mobs that constantly dodge all the time

Frost Hounds, Murk Crabs, Mylocs

Agreed it is frustrating and I wouldn't normally hunt them (plenty of other T6 mobs that are much much easier to kill).

My thoughts are that they are out of balance with all the other T6 mobs (or is it the other way around?).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

If it dodges your meelee attacks, even a dragon has primal bolt to try... there are certain mobs, that need different attack skills to be hurt. It's one of the better things about Istaria.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Personally I don't like the T6+ mobs that constantly dodge all the time

Frost Hounds, Murk Crabs, Mylocs

Agreed it is frustrating and I wouldn't normally hunt them (plenty of other T6 mobs that are much much easier to kill).

My thoughts are that they are out of balance with all the other T6 mobs (or is it the other way around?).

hmm- no probs with Crabs and no probs with Mylocs here.
    More a challange.
    Frost hounds- no prob for outmaxed Drag (use fear and tailwip continually),
    use some bolts- and lots of patience.

As Garf said: The variety of our mobs is a great feature in my eyes.

With even 2 dragons none of the mobs above is difficult to kill.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

i rember this quest well ^^ heh found it kina fun . XD "sit back and wait for one to stray and poke it pull back and play >_> just have to keep an eye out for that name that roams around XD . the mrck crabs in the doom are fun h@ll i love being able to pick on things biger than me "in lv " XD just not sog are the big bad dragon in the dl's "cant rember name" XD
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

I don't recall fighting them... But I do hate the dodging tendencies of some T6 Mobs.

It would seem that putting tp's in Dexterity did increase the chance to hit, but it is still so terrible seeing GR and SS getting dodged time after time (even during Tailwhip stun!!).
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information