Thread: Aerial Obstacle Courses

Smile Aerial Obstacle Courses

Just what I said!

We have the arena to have fun with, on the Isles of Battle...Would be pretty nifty to get some obstacle courses. I know I, for one, am always finding things to twist and loop around, and very much enjoy the graceful-looking swoop down onto a portal or building now and then.

Of course, grounded obstacle courses would go hand in hand - I enjoy jumping onto and over things with Kieba just as much!

Would this be something other players are interested in seeing?

Even bigger - would this be something other players are interested in creating? I know there are plenty of us out there with creative talent, I'm sure we have some 3D animators.

If the devs don't have time to implement a silly little whim of an obstacle course, could we create one? I know there are a ton and a half mods out there, changing pre-existing settings. Could we add things, as well? Probably with very strict permission, and not on any monster-infested areas (I'm thinking these courses would be implemented in the area above and around the arena) but... I dunno. Just an interesting idea. Opinions?

Default Re: Aerial Obstacle Courses

would it be for each race a seperate one ? Cause I think a gnome/dwarf can`t jump as high as a halfgiant .......

Try flying through the woods in Swamp or the woods West of Feladan
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Gimthen View Post
    would it be for each race a seperate one ? Cause I think a gnome/dwarf can`t jump as high as a halfgiant .......
    But every gnome knows that half-giants can't jump! ;-)

Oh! I hadn't realized they couldn't jump as high...

That complicates things a bit.

It would be possible, albeit considerably more work, to create courses for each race; and, with that addition, increasingly less likely. =/ It would be possible to simply make jumps the minimum height and then other races would just have an easier time clearing the jump than gnomes.

Can half-giants really not jump at all? O.o I've never played anything but a human...

I have already played a good bit in Feladen and Spiritous. ^^

Honestly, I think all characters jump the same absolute height - it just looks like gnomes jump further because it's so much more relative to the character height. I could be wrong.

When I add in that gnomes fit in smaller places than most other races, it seems to be that I can jump up mountains and such a little more easily than others. Might just be my determination to not stop jumping, though. :-)

The height definitively makes things worse... I have a human alt that can't run through small scafoldings, my saris has no issues with that.

I'm not so very sure about jump heights... Back then, when the BIG planters were introduced and you needed to stand on them to apply something, I build a course from pumpkins that worked good for my saris. I did not manage to jump that very same course with a dryad, though. Don't exactly know why that is... but I had to add another middle pumpkin for the dryad.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedre View Post
    Of course, grounded obstacle courses would go hand in hand - I enjoy jumping onto and over things with Kieba just as much!

Would this be something other players are interested in seeing?

Even bigger - would this be something other players are interested in creating?

If the devs don't have time to implement a silly little whim of an obstacle course, could we create one? I know there are a ton and a half mods out there, changing pre-existing settings. Could we add things, as well? Probably with very strict permission, and not on any monster-infested areas (I'm thinking these courses would be implemented in the area above and around the arena) but... I dunno. Just an interesting idea. Opinions?
    Hatchies have a ridiculously large bounding box. The maze I made for bipeds, a hatchie could not get through without setscale. As others point out, other races have their own issues with the bounding box and even jumping.

As for your 'let's create our own' you're talking about a very very small percentage of characters. I owned two mazes on Order and they were rarely used. Once players go through it once, it becomes less fun and everybody forgets about it to conquer the next thrill.

For the one making it, it would have to be a plot with very specific items on it- so a plot that you pay for but is utterly useless.

For those wanting to go through said plot, they'd have to download and install the mod, then when they were done with it, they'd have to uninstall the mod for normal play. Reinstall it any time they want to go play on the obstacle course. I really don't think there would be many players wanting to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Hatchies have a ridiculously large bounding box. The maze I made for bipeds, a hatchie could not get through without setscale. As others point out, other races have their own issues with the bounding box and even jumping.

As for your 'let's create our own' you're talking about a very very small percentage of characters. I owned two mazes on Order and they were rarely used. Once players go through it once, it becomes less fun and everybody forgets about it to conquer the next thrill.

For the one making it, it would have to be a plot with very specific items on it- so a plot that you pay for but is utterly useless.

For those wanting to go through said plot, they'd have to download and install the mod, then when they were done with it, they'd have to uninstall the mod for normal play. Reinstall it any time they want to go play on the obstacle course. I really don't think there would be many players wanting to do this.
    /ridiculously long time replying (sorry)

I actually didn't think about plots at all when I made this suggestion; nor had I intended mazes. Mazes would, of course, be memorized after a time.

New idea, rather amusing to me (and by now I realize this is just a random spewing of ideas) ... Turn a windmill on its side, like the animated woodshop ones, use that as one of the obstacles. XD Would need to be made jump-able of course...

This wouldn't be a maze where intellectual challenge is required - I still like jumping over things for the sake of jumping over things, mindless as it may often be. Just make a series of ropes, like outside the crater entrance to Doom, a few pumpkins or planter-crates, etc. Doesn't have to be hosted or anything like the NPCs on isles of battle - people would figure it out easy enough on their own...

Only problem with hop-only courses is that it entirely excludes adult+ dragons. XD Oh well... lol

Thread Information