Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Fact

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Fun Fact

A dragon flies at 45.32 MPH (74.16 KPH) when at the most efficient flying angle. (When you middle-mouse-click and drag your camera to look all the way down)

However, when flying straight forward and /almost/ flapping, you fly a 31mph (50kph).

I did a sort a proportion (1/124 = x/45.32) and figured out that for every 1 Velocity gained, you fly an additional 0.36548387096774193548387096774194 mph.

I've heard of bipeds that run around 220+ speed. I'm going to estimate that speed is the same as velocity.

220 * 0.37 (rounded) = 81.4.

So bipeds can run around 81mph. (130 kph)

I find this highly amusing.
    *goes back to calculating the size of Istaria*

~Racktor

Edit: Flying upwards, you fly at 8mph (13 kph)

Default Re: Fun Fact

I really cannot help myself but rolling on the floor out of laughter here.

Well done, Sir. http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/...d1fb8273f8.jpg

Why thank you! *takes cookie gratefully*

The size of Istaria from the North to the South is 28km.

Pluto is around 2200 km in diameter.

Pluto is smaller than our moon.

Istaria is tiny if that is the entire planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Istaria is tiny if that is the entire planet.
    It isn't. There is also, at the least, the Eastern Continent.

Anyway, this is a delightful thread. Thank you for sharing your findings!
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

That's true.. I didn't really think of that.

I'm glad you like it ^^ I'm finding it amusing figuring things out.
    (I wonder if I can find out the size/proximity of the moon...)

I don't follow how you came up with the speed units for your premise.
    Flipping this about a bit...
    Normal biped character speed is 50.
    Average human walking speed is about 5 kph (3 mph). So perhaps speed is 10*kph? Speed at 220 would then be 22 kph (13 mph), average running speed for world champion men's marathon runner. This is a low estimate, as sprinting can kick speed up to 30-40 kph (20-25 mph).

If 220 = 130 kph by your calculation and only 22 kph by my calculations, straight forward fly speed of 50 kph by your calculations would only be 8.5 kph and diving speed of 75 kph would be about 13 kph by my calculations. I guess dragons are held aloft by magic and the known Istarian world is really, really tiny.

But it's much bigger in gnome units. :-)

I got the calculations by clocking distance vs time. I had my character Dorokane somewhere out of sight in a group with me, anchored and still. Using the group's "x meters away" system, I marked down thte initial distance and then clicked my stopwatch on, and moved Racktor forward. At the 20 second mark, I stopped him and measured distance again.

(Final Distance - Initial Distance)/time.

That equation is based off of the fact speed = Distance/time

So, I got a meters per second calculation. I then converted MPS to MPH and KPH.

I also assumed that velocity is generally the same as speed stats, and I used the amount of speed gained for each velocity point the same as speed gained for each speed point. I just multiplied 220*0.37 (which is what I came up with) to get 130kph.

The difference between our calculations, awdz, is that you're going off of the fact speed would be equal to irl speeds and using a sort of base off of that. I'm doing a more scientific math-involved approach, so we're coming up with two different answers.

~Racktor

IThe difference between our calculations, awdz, is that you're going off of the fact speed would be equal to irl speeds and using a sort of base off of that. I'm doing a more scientific math-involved approach, so we're coming up with two different answers.
    That makes sense. I take it you also did not adjust to the time difference between day lengths in the two different worlds? I assumed that each Istarian sun/moon cycle should equate to a 24 hour day, but obviously I did not factor in any actual time measurements into my calculation. When we talk about the calendar, though, there are several Istarian sun/moon cycles to each date.

Racktor, I think you're missing a little fact, time goes faster in istaria, just look at the various clocks spread all over the world ;P

There is almost no way for me to figure out Istaria time ._. I only used the real-life clock... but an Istarian day is 1 hour. So 1 second would be 1/24 of our seconds. I'll try to figure out speed in Istaria time...

But to our visual eye, thinking of that, we only move at the speeds I said - to Istarians in-game and in role-play, they would move much faster.

This all is, of course, assuming that Istarian time is actually different and Istaria doesn't simply rotate faster or something. And that an Istarian "meter" is the same as real life meter. xP

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    This all is, of course, assuming that Istarian time is actually different and Istaria doesn't simply rotate faster or something. And that an Istarian "meter" is the same as real life meter. xP
    Yeah, it is somewhat amusing that people often seem to figure that instead of Istaria (the planet) moving at a different rate it's in fact time itself that has to be moving at a different rate. xD
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Yeah.. exactly XD Just like Jupiter has 8 hour days. It rotates fast, it doesn't just have 2/3 of a second seconds. =P

But the meters I got were using the Istarian measure system. You know, the group thing..

"8520 meters away" -> "8720 meters away" ect

~Racktor

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I did some calculations on the hardness of Istarian minerals versus tiers. My results were... interesting.
    Currently we have:
    T1 - Sandstone - 7
    T2 - Slate - 3.5
    T3 - Granite - 6.5
    T4 - Obsidian - 5.5
    T5 - Marble - 3.5
    T6 - Travertine - 3.5

The hardness of these based on the Mohs Hardness Scale is very contradictary to that system. (BTW another fun fact - the only Diamond Golem in Istaria is named Mohs, presumably after the creator of that scale.) I listed the Mohs hardnesses next to the names. I think we're pretty acc- woah woah, hold the phone! We are using one of the weakest stones on the planet to build the strongest structures?! :P Well, if we based the tiers off of real life hardnesses, we'd get this:
    T1 - Slate
    T2 - Marble
    T3 - Travertine
    T4 - Obsidian
    T5 - Granite
    T6 - Sandstone

Seems a little funny, doesn't it? I'm going to guess that Istaria's tier system is based off of scarcity and looks/common belief rather than actual fact, and it works since, of course, it's a video game! But I thought I'd share that anyways.

Since others might find it interesting, here are the gems:
    T1 - Garnet (7), Malachite (3.75), Turquoise (6)
    T2 - Lapis Lazuli (5.5), Rose Quartz (7), Amethyst (7)
    T3 - Citrine (7), Aquamarine (7.75), Jasper (6.75)
    T4 - Topaz (8), Jade (6.5), Opal (5.5)
    T5 - Emerald (7.75), Peridot (6.75), Fire Opal (5.75)
    T6 - Diamond (10), Ruby (9), Sapphire (9)

Gemstones are generally higher than 5 or 6 anyways, so there's not going to be huge controversy in that one. T6 is pretty darn accurate, surprisingly. I'm pretty sure that those gems are rated in scarcity anyways.

Also, if an Istarian day really is 1/24 of our day, we'd it'd be 1.5416666666666666666666666666667 speed or velocity point to 1 MPH. That means dragons would fly at 191 MPH(307 KPH) and bipeds would run at 339 MPH (545 KPH). ;P For reference, 762 mph (1227 kph) at sea level breaks the sound barrier.

Well, science just happened. And I for one am grateful and in awe.
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Also, if an Istarian day really is 1/24 of our day, we'd it'd be 1.5416666666666666666666666666667 speed or velocity point to 1 MPH. That means dragons would fly at 191 MPH(307 KPH) and bipeds would run at 339 MPH (545 KPH). ;P For reference, 762 mph (1227 kph) at sea level breaks the sound barrier.
    Isn't that all a bit wrong?
    I mean in the first post you say that dragons fly, at best, at 74.16 KPH
    Since 1 hour real time is one day in Istaria, then that dragon gets really lazy and does 74.16 Km Per Day. Or 3.09 KPH. o-m-g

I think it is better to assume that the time flows at the same speed in both Istaria and RL and the 1h Istarian day happens due to the fact that Istarian world has a very fast rotational speed.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Also, if an Istarian day really is 1/24 of our day...
    Whoa, hang on there! A day is the amount of time it takes for one day/night cycle, not the passage of 86400 seconds. A second in Istaria is still a second here. Take a look at your spells' casting and recycle timers. (They're in deciseconds.)

Your initial move speed calculations were pretty close. Istarian move speeds are in decimeters per second, so that speed of 220 would translate into 22.0m/s, or about 50 mph.

As for the size of Istaria, yeah, the explored land area is pretty small. The current client contains design assumptions that the world won't be larger than 65km x 65km, though with some changes, we could safely go to 2048km x 2048km... but who needs that much space, anyway?

What this means is that for RP purposes, you'll either have to accept that Istaria is kind of small compared to Earth; or that Istaria is comparable to Earth in size and its inhabitants just move unnaturally fast. Of course, we haven't considered things like the density of the atmosphere, or the mass of a dragon or biped, so maybe "unnaturally fast" isn't so unnatural after all.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Yeah.. exactly XD Just like Jupiter has 8 hour days. It rotates fast, it doesn't just have 2/3 of a second seconds. =P
    Geeze, guys, read up some before you judge me for the 1/24 second! xD Meepsa is the one that originally suggested that idea based on the fact clocks rotate faster. I just decided I'd do the calculations to show insane that'd be anyways.

Also, by 1/24 of our day, I mean that 1 Istarian day = 1 earth hour. 24 earth hours = 1 earth day. In comparison, Istaria's day is 1/24 of our day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    As for the size of Istaria, yeah, the explored land area is pretty small. The current client contains design assumptions that the world won't be larger than 65km x 65km, though with some changes, we could safely go to 2048km x 2048km... but who needs that much space, anyway?
    .....*raises paw* I, for one, would absolutely adore an eastern continent. :3 Of course, with larger size comes smaller chances of running into other people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    What this means is that for RP purposes, you'll either have to accept that Istaria is kind of small compared to Earth; or that Istaria is comparable to Earth in size and its inhabitants just move unnaturally fast. Of course, we haven't considered things like the density of the atmosphere, or the mass of a dragon or biped, so maybe "unnaturally fast" isn't so unnatural after all.
    Maybe they're made of dark matter and just defy the laws of gravity and friction like a boss? Oh well, just something to ponder! Thanks for lighting things up around that.

Thanks Steelclaw

Cheers :beer:
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information