Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun Fact

Default Re: Fun Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    The size of Istaria from the North to the South is 28km.

Pluto is around 2200 km in diameter.

Pluto is smaller than our moon.

Istaria is tiny if that is the entire planet.
    then Istaria continent is the size of the city of Columbus, Ohio.

It depends which server board I think is which.

That's interesting, strange, and awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    :O There could be continents undiscovered out there! \O/

*ahem* *Cough* *Cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Alisto View Post
    :O There could be continents undiscovered out there! \O/

*ahem* *Cough* *Cough*
    or like, what's "behind" the eastern deadlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    Or somewhere in between the size of Mars moons. Bigger than Deimos but smaller than Phobos
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Frosty979

So, wait, does that mean we know the airspeed velocity of an unladen dragon?

Yeah, from different angles of ascension. Recently I was made aware of a way to 'ride the air' by flying up then holding down immediately after and it apparently speeds up your fly speed, so if I get around to it I may calculate that as well to figure out if it's truly faster.

The default runspeed of 50 = 5 meters/sec = 18 km/hour = 11.18 mph
    The 220 speed (which is gift speed + sprints + potions + gangaf boots)= 79.2 km/hour= 49.2 mph

Basically 1 runspeed or 1 velocity = .1m/sec = 0.36 km/h = 0.223694 mph

So just multiply whichever times your in game speed to convert it.

I'm not sure if you're just taking Istaria's speed numbers as fact here or you actually clocked it and the speed measurement is different from velocity. I'll clock it when I get home, though, to see what I come up with. (Luckily I do have a biped in my mess of dragons on my account)

I just want to take a moment here to thank everyone in this thread for making me feel really dumb. Fun fact turned into Trig 301

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    or like, what's "behind" the eastern deadlands.

The world map on the installation CD from 10/2013
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Oh my, NT is on the map! Dang, the world looks so different there. So much green, so little blight.

Also, referring back to earlier, I clocked my biped with 50 speed running away from a stationary NPC. Took 3.14 seconds to run 17 meters, which ends up being ~5.41 m/s. That's 19.476 KPH and 12.102 MPH, meaning 1 speed is equal to 0.24 MPH or 0.39 KPH through my experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Yeah, from different angles of ascension. Recently I was made aware of a way to 'ride the air' by flying up then holding down immediately after and it apparently speeds up your fly speed, so if I get around to it I may calculate that as well to figure out if it's truly faster.
    never tried that! but I have found a way to make my dragon simply glide/soar the air currents instead of flapping like a duck XD
    While flying, use the center scroll wheele of the mouse to use it to lower the camera down just a little, until you stop flapping. then click it again to disable the mouse camera/locomotion control (back to normal). and enjoy!

though it would be cool if dragons had a sprint for air maybe a "Flight boost" ability?

I`m not sure how to measure speed vs. timing across Istaria though. But I have flown across Istaria (From WD to tip of ED) once, it didn`t take very long with velocity scales, and gift of velocity. plus spun sugar. I`ll have to time it again once to see how long it actualy takes. I do know that one Istarian day is one Earth hour. If that helps at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    While flying, use the center scroll wheele of the mouse to use it to lower the camera down just a little, until you stop flapping. then click it again to disable the mouse camera/locomotion control (back to normal). and enjoy!

though it would be cool if dragons had a sprint for air maybe a "Flight boost" ability?
    That's how I usually fly, though I tend to just drop like a rock from the sky if I lower my camera all the way, but it's the fastest! (is what I calculated the fastest speed from) That would be neat , although I think the devs have said no to it before. Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    I`m not sure how to measure speed vs. timing across Istaria though. But I have flown across Istaria (From WD to tip of ED) once, it didn`t take very long with velocity scales, and gift of velocity. plus spun sugar. I`ll have to time it again once to see how long it actualy takes. I do know that one Istarian day is one Earth hour. If that helps at all.
    And one Jupiter day is 8 Earth hours, but yet we don't say each second on Jupiter is 1/8 of an Earth second! A second's defined as "the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom" which makes almost no sense to me, but basically is a fraction of how low some material takes to decay. So, seconds are the same everywhere.

In Istaria, I'm not sure if meters are perfectly the same as their real life counterparts, but the game does have distances measured in meters when a unit's given. So what I do is I use the physics formula "Speed = Distance/Time". I clock however long it takes to go from A to B in seconds, then divide the distance between A and B by that time. There you have the speed in meters per second, which can then be converted to miles per hour and such. ^^ Considering Istaria is something like 28km by 28km roughly (though it's probably longer than it is wide), it shouldn't take too long flying at 31kph.

By the way, I literally just realised that Steelclaw said
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Take a look at your spells' casting and recycle timers. (They're in deciseconds.)

Your initial move speed calculations were pretty close. Istarian move speeds are in decimeters per second, so that speed of 220 would translate into 22.0m/s, or about 50 mph.
    I have no idea why I never noticed Steelclaw gave us the units Istaria uses, but I feel kind of stupid for not realising it. Then again, I didn't re-read the thread when it was revived after 2 years of being silent.

Oops.

Though this may not fully apply to dragons because when you angle your camera differently, you fly at different speeds (slower on ascending, faster on descending), but it's a base. And I feel stupid for missing it. xD

Meaning! The default flyspeed is 16.77 MPH/27 KPH and the maximum ancient flyspeed (minus the movement crystal) is 27.73 MPH/44.64 KPH. Or at least should be, I assume when flying level.
    Last edited by Racktor; November 10th, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Not to derail but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty979 View Post
    So, wait, does that mean we know the airspeed velocity of an unladen dragon?
    Well what do you mean? A Lunus or Helian dragon?

(I'm sorry, I recently watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I couldn't pass off this opporunity :P)

Frosty979

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    Not to derail but...

Well what do you mean? A Lunus or Helian dragon?

(I'm sorry, I recently watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I couldn't pass off this opporunity :P)
    I...I don't know. *FLINNNNG!* AAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Heh, no worries. I'm just glad someone caught it. XD

Oh wow, that reference went right over my head. xD Then again, I've never seen that movie. I should see it though! I feel like a bit of a moron now for replying seriously..

Thread Information