Thread: Diablo 3

Default Diablo 3

Surprising there's no threads about this game, as long as the beta has been going on, so I'll make one!

Mom got her beta invite a few days ago and I was watching her (and she let me start a character and play it myself, ssshhh, not sure if that's 100% legal lol).

So, I'm going to write a bit to get us started...

Diablo, for those of you who have never played the first two, is a 3-quarter overhead action medieval RPG that is basically about a hero (your character) fighting undead, demons, and other stuff and the main goal of the game is usually to kill the main demons (Diablo, Baal, Mephisto, etc).

Even though it is made by Blizzard, there appears to be no connection between Diablo's and Warcraft's universes.

You click your way through everything; you click the ground to move, you click mobs to attack them, you click items to pick them up. You gain XP and levelups and new abilities, and battle tends to be fairly fast-paced and you end up fighting many monsters at once and sometimes much more powerful "boss" monsters.

Now, for those of you who *have* played Diablo/2 before, here are some things I noticed immediately:

1). No Offline Mode. This is my only disappointment or con with the game that I've seen yet. You must be connected to the internet to log in and play. Having characters stored on BNET servers is a plus, but yet, it would have been nice to be able to log in and play locally without an internet connection required or a very small amount of net connection, OR, local-only characters. Yet another game I can't play if I have an internet outage or if I need to download stuff, as downloading creates horrendous lag that makes the game unplayable even if you're in single-player mode.

2). Town Portal, now a spell everyone has! That's right, the ole spell of Town Portal is back from Diablo 1, and everyone gets it during a certain quest. No more lame books of town portal cluttering up your inventory, no more scrolls, and no more "I wish a book of town portal would drop somewhere so I can learn the spell". It costs no mana (not every class has mana now), but it DOES have a cast timer (something new to Diablo) which I assume can be interrupted by nearby monsters.

3). Items never need identified unless they are Yellow-quality (or better I assume)! To identify an item, you simply right-click it, and there's a cast time (so you can't do it in battle). No more blowing your money on a scroll of identify, only to identify an item that vendors for less than what you bought the scroll for!

4). We have Right Click and Left Click abilities that carried over from Diablo 2, but unlike Diablo 2, some abilities can only go on Left, some can only go on Right, and new to Diablo 3 are buttons 1 through 4! Now you have 6 abilities and they can be swapped out (doing so has a cast timer and a short cooldown) to your pleasure once you learn more new abilities. Abilities also get runes that modify the abilities in certain ways, you can switch those in the same manner.

5). Potions now stack and have their own unique key (Q). They fill your health meter instantly, but they have a cooldown (30-45 seconds, something like that). Potions back in Diablo 1-2 did not stack, and in Diablo 2, they slowly refilled your life/mana unless they were rejuvenation potions which did so instantly.

6). There's a minimap now! awesome! No more leaving the map screen open fulltime.

7). Quests give experience now, and there are more quests. Furthermore, quest objectives are displayed WoW-style under the minimap feature.

8). There's a new, better WoW-style experience bar.

9). NO TALENT POINTS! I hated D2's Skill (Talent) Point System. Now, each character gets abilities that unlock at certain levels and you can choose what abilities/runes you use at any given time.

10). Crafting. There's a blacksmith/crafter you recruit early-game and you can spend gold to train him. You disenchant magical items for materials used in crafting new items. That way, when you want a specific item type, you can make a specific item type without praying that a shopkeeper might have it.

11). Terrain! You can use certain terrain features to kill enemies (you get extra experience for doing this!). Examples include cutting the chain on a chandelier to make it fall, or shooting a wooden support that's holding up a loose bookshelf to make it fall on stuff.

There's a lot more than what I listed here, so far I love the game, even though the Beta is quite short (You'll likely clear the beta content within 5 hours of playtime). It is addictive enough that you can replay it (especially with 5 characters to choose from), though.

Default Re: Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    1). No Offline Mode.
    That's... extremely disappointing to say the least. Diablo 2 was my go-to game for when the internet was out or I was in an area with no or very poor internet connection. Do they not realize this was a big part of their selling power? (For me it is anyways. Can't play much when I visit my parent's house because they have terrible internet.) Back to Dreamweaver I guess.
    2). Town Portal, now a spell everyone has! [More neat stuff]+ ID auto spell
    Yay!

7). Quests give experience now, and there are more quests. Furthermore, quest objectives are displayed WoW-style under the minimap feature.

8). There's a new, better WoW-style experience bar.
    Ooooooohhh fun. Not having to play the lottery with shopkeeps sounds awesome too. All good stuff. Thank you so much for the spoilers!

I would imagine there to be some slight changes before release, but I must say, thank you for sharing your experiences in this soon to be amazing game

I am one of those die-hard D2 fanatics, having played every class multiple times, so I am very much looking forward to D3, unfortunately I have likely over-hyped it for myself

Just some comments/queries on some points:

1) I forsee this either changing, or having been implemented in this way (online only) for Beta purposes only (I hope).
    2) Kewl back to D1 style with the town portals.
    3) Identify, much like Town Portal in D2 wasn't exactly a deal breaker, having to carry around two tomes taking up 4 inv 'squares' didn't exactly break the bank I use to just use a Portal scroll, then dump the tome there so I could easy get it later if need be (assuming I didn't just pick another up).
    4) I think there actually were a select few abilities that wouldn't go on both left and right click anyway... though I have been wrong before. Quite a few would only go on right click iirc, but it has been a long time since I played
    As for the hotkeys, this sounds like a reduction since D2, where I had all F keys for my often-used abilites, so only 6 is a bit of a downgrade... unless I'm not understanding you correctly.
    5) Potion changes... AWESOME
    6) There actually was a mini-map in D2, good to see it followed on
    7) Good to hear more quests, but I wonder if they impact on gameplay at all.
    8) I don't know what a Wow-style exp bar is
    9) I'm a big fan of skill-points where buyback is available (not that many games offer this)... but this sounds like every player is just going to be a cookie-cut of one another if they all get all their abilities (ie. every 'Warrior' is the same). I guess they can still be setup differently and have different gear... I'm sure I'll enjoy it all the same
    10) Crafting's not my thing, but sounds interesting
    11) Terrain kiting sounds intersting; could lead to some entertaining encounters.

Sounds like I'm in for some fun. Can't wait for the expansion(s)
    Cheers.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

I just hope they bring back the druid.....Attack my wolves!!!!

I have been playing the beta for quite a while... I didn't really spend a whole lot of time playing D1 or D2, so the experience was kind of new to me. I'll respond to some of the OP's itemized list...

Item 1.. I would imagine there are only online characters to reduce the character hacking that went on in D2. A good friend of mine, that tried to get me to play D2 with him, had found a "mod" that allowed him to make a character from scratch, that was max lvled, with just about whatever gear he wanted, including stats. I don't know if it was possible to go to a reputable server with a modded char like that, but I wonder if that is one reason they don't want the totally stand alone characters.

Item 2: From what I've seen, there isn't too many times I actually needed this spell, least during the beta process, I'm sure when the additional content is added it might be needed more. The one time I did actually need it was after fighting the final boss in the highest beta dungeon (only lvl 10 dungeon btw). There was no other way to exit from the dungeon besides actually hitting that button. (shrug)

Item 11: Yes.. the terrain. There is nothing like knocking some supports down, and causing a wall to drop on your enemies, and if you kill enough of them with the disaster, you get bonus xp... Awesome. Gotta love dropping props on baddies and getting credit for their demise.

You also mentioned in your opening statement how you click on everything to move, to open stuff, to collect things... basically everything in the game can be summed down to basically a left click. While this is the way this particular game series is played, I found that I didn't like the playability of it. I tended to walk towards crap when I was trying to stand there and shoot or cast a spell. The only real characters that I benefited from the whole point and charge kind of gameplay was when I was playing the Warrior toon. This was perhaps the most effective way to just mow your way through a crowd of miscellaneous monsters. I did find out sometime later that if you Shift+Click, that you stand still and shoot, but I found this out after I had died several times because of inadvertently clicking on the ground next to a target instead of at the actual target. Annoying to me really. I could have done with some simple "wasd" moving commands just as well and be fine with it. No matter though...

Overall, the beta content to me was barely able to keep my attention merely for the fact that you could "burn" through the content in 2-3 hours without much of an issue. I have only played it in single player though thus far, and was curious if playing multiplayer would change much in the way of difficulty or whatnot.

The other thing I did like about the game is... most games that have "ammo" weapons, bows, xbows, guns.. etc.. you have to have a stack of ammo for those weapons in your inventory, not so with D3... the ammo required apparently magically appears out of thin air just in time for you to be able to launch it with your respective firing apparatus.

Anyhow... the game was enjoyable enough.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I'm debating on wether or not to get Diablo III. I got a $10 off preorder coupon. Looks really fun, but I've never played I or II.
    So, what's the recommendation; yea or nay?
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    I'm debating on wether or not to get Diablo III. I got a $10 off preorder coupon. Looks really fun, but I've never played I or II.
    So, what's the recommendation; yea or nay?
    Depends on whether or not you like the type of game.

Also, you could check out the trailers and some youtube videos, you could even look up Diablo 2's youtube videos, I'm sure there's gotta be at least a few that give you an idea of what 2 was like, and then take into consideration the changes they make to 3, etc.

Diablo is a game that is meant to be an addicting grind sort of game. I tisn't a Long game in of itself -- Diablo 2 had 4 acts (an expansion added a 5th) and a whole game, Act 1 through Act 5, could realistically be "cleared" in <10 hours of gameplay.

BUT, that was NORMAL difficulty. Once you beat Normal, you went onto Nightmare. Which made things quite a bit harder. Once you defeat Nightmare, then it gets turned to 11, for Hell difficulty which was... well, ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin (tvtropes).

Dunno if Diablo 3 is going to go that route, but... either way, it is something you're meant to do just for the fun of it.

Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 had completely random dungeon layouts, I think Diablo 3 doesn't, but yet gives you random 'extra" dungeons and areas, and they also throw random bosses and stuff at you as well.

I'd recommend it, if you enjoy dungeon crawls and mass monster murderation. It is an awesome casual game to play if you've got an hour here, and hour there where you just want to sit down and kill some crap.

Thread Information