Thread: A new Questline (for old items)

Default A new Questline (for old items)

We have discussed it often in the past years in different channels. The old powerful items should be reintroduced. In my opinion it's a great disadvantage for players that aren't stuck here since beta and had no chance of gaining those items. They had been taken out of game, in other mmo's if a item is too powerful it would be nerved or deleted out of the database. Not for Istaria, those items and forms are still around.

We all pay for the game and either delete those things out of the database or give all a chance to gain the old legendary things. If they are too powerful they should be rebalanced. I don't see a reason why newer players have that great disadvantages.

My idea is to reintroduce these neat things, with a new questline, some kind of "legendary questline", it should be difficult and a pain and lot of work and time to spent to aquire these things.

For example:
    Dim Crystal of Might
    Misty Crystals
    Veteran Dark Garnet Weapon Crystal
    Boar Hide Mask
    Thunder Cloud Forms
    Kicker Techs
    Dragon Event Techs

... and sure there is a lot more I don't think of ...
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Default Re: A new Questline (for old items)

sounds great! agree

I remembered another goody of the past: Crystal of Movement, a tool crystal adding speed (and please add velocity to it). Would be great to see that back again, too
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    I remembered another goody of the past: Crystal of Movement, a tool crystal adding speed (and please add velocity to it). Would be great to see that back again, too
    Ooooh. Want!!

I'm totally in favour of having old items available again via quests
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

hmm- I `m not a friend of warming up old meals.

But I love long and hard questlines to gain mighty techs or abilities or items.
    NEW ONES!
    (like breath of acid, Drukar`s wrath and yes Amon, even hero`s resolve if it was for 5 min^^, all this powerful new crystals aso)
    New ones, because they should match with the new philosophy of Istaria, its playerbase and mobs.

I mean- what good is in having back BHM or DCM if its nerved??

The number of players who have that stuff is under 10% I assume.
    And I do not envy them for that. They have been there when it was available- many years ago. If they are still here as paying customers..
    they deserve to have this things as kinda loyalty reward.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I agree with you Love. I agree about the long and hard quests for new things.
    And I don't think there is anything wrong in old players having things from the past not available for new(er) players. I missed out on some stuff because I didn't understand how it all worked - quests introduced in the starting screen but how to proceed? - and because I've been at a low adventure level for years.
    I really would have liked that ring from the quest in the desert but, alas... and so be it. New tuff, new chances.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I guess because one of the things that can hinder the addition of new quests is the need for new items that require new art, new descriptions, new database entries, etc, bringing back old items is an option that requires less work and thus, more likely to happen.

Just a daft elf's thoughts...
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

No need of new graphics, maybe some rebalancing - what Kelsaka said was part of my intention. And I don't see any reason why elder players should have advantages that younger ones will NEVER be able to get

Quote Originally Posted by Terao View Post
    No need of new graphics, maybe some rebalancing - what Kelsaka said was part of my intention. And I don't see any reason why elder players should have advantages that younger ones will NEVER be able to get
    Because they were here when those things were introduced.

I vote a large and resounding "no". Most of the players that collected items that are no longer in the game have them as an ear mark of the time they have spent in the game (even if they are nerfed or nonfunctional).

I think new items with similar abilities would be nice in some cases.

But the exceptions should be very few on reintroducing items that were removed. And I have yet to be a part of a game long-term that didn't have legacy items that were no longer available. That's very much the norm for long term games.

As a side note I would like to point out that quests to get these items will end up like the volcano quest... Completely out of reach to new players and most other players that aren't in a huge guild anyway.

I would much prefer a 0.00001% drop rate on a difficult (but not boss-type) mob than a long drawn out quest full of milk runs and then an epic boss that you cant kill alone anyway.
    Last edited by Mensar; May 29th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

It would be so totally unfair to have what we got long ago, removed just because you all don't have it. Now, I am not a selfish person by any stretch of the imagination, and I am for you all getting the items that will be in your favor, I hope it happens and soon. But please respect those of us that got our items, fair and square. Thank you

As a (rather) new player who subscribed 9 months ago I'm with Terao on this matter.
    Especially after witnessing a returning player who returned after a looooong break starting to show off some of the old stuff that no longer drops...

"Look what I got and you cannot possibly get it at all, no matter how long you will play from now on, because it no longer drops"

Basicaly that's it and it doesn't seem fair at all

The progression in mmorpg is to add better and better items/quests/drops - not to remove the good ones from the loot tables while allowing them to remain in the possession of a selected lucky few.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

I don't want to bother anyone that owns some of the old items, I play since a very long time, with several breaks in between, and own some old things, too. I think it's a better way for the elder player with the loyal reward system, and give all players the same possibilities.

There are lot of mmo's where unbalanced items gets either fixed or deleted, for Istaria it's the better way to fix and maybe rebalance the one or other if it's too overpowered, they have been around for such a long time and they should stay for longer and available for others, this is my opinion.

I don't want to see them deleted either, just to be available to anyone once again.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information