Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Event

Default Re: Summer Event

Sorry, took the weekend off for Memorial Day.

No, that wasn't what I was hinting, Racktor. I was suggesting that the Quest Submission Guidelines be used to submit the quest.

So where do we submit art too?

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Great idea, Cixi! I look forward to seeing the quest *hint hint* ;)
    Ok I sent in the quest but don't expect any computer coding in it. All I can do is plain English. The fancy stuff is for you to work out.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

I'm guessing that it's too much for this year but next year can we consider formulas for picnic baskets and a red checkered picnic blanket?

I think you could consider a "county fair" type theme with pie recipe contests, other food contests... some could make it into game via a quest or to be bought from vendors at the fair. When I think of summer I think of festivals and fairs, rides, cotton candy, caramel apples, fruit ice creams, side shows, tractor pulls, greased pig contests (ok, I'm showing my age, I know that wouldn't be PC now...), a good old fashioned fish fry, lemon aide, cold watermelon, kite flying, I could go on and on... You already have forms for barns and hay piles.... maybe they could be used to make a rural fair type setting?

Since we always hear this stuff takes too much time i had suggested the events that were fun and ran only one season.

[quote=pajlizard;281172]I think what was being suggested was that the Tazoon Festival be added back in as part of the new Summer Event. Would be quite keen on that here myself- That little festival with the petting zoo and raffle was super fun :D Would love to see it back as part of the Summer Event.

but you could have events that are races etc..hatchlings vs hatchling and biped vs biped i would love to see that one person run 247 speed he talks about while pulling a disk..

Lillyjo chao's server

As we're nearing the close of the deadline for submissions and thus the release of the event for this year, I wanted to provide some feedback on the various ideas here so that players understand a bit better what can and can't be done and why.

maybe also have some fishing events. or some things that players could gather for addition xp or coin.
    Fishing event I can do, but we've discovered that giving experience and coin for "event" related quests is highly open to being exploited, so the quests won't give that.

(Insert various star related ideas here) And if the devs wanted to be real tricky there could even be a visible solar eclipse on the top of one mountain could be the only location you could see it. here is where the npc's could also be.
    I'd love to do this too and like the idea, but the tech doesn't exist for this year. So we're keeping it in mind for 2013.

Maybe a low-level anchor in the old deadlands of the island too, with quest to stop them from potentially disrupting the festival?
    For this year we're going to let the quest go off without any hitches, but maybe in future years. The problem here is balance and putting in mobs that aren't going to one-shot low level players, but also can't be one-shotted by high level ones. So we're going to keep thinking about this and how to perhaps implement it for another year.

One thing I miss from the festival held outside Tazoon is the petting zoo. That was really cute. I liked the specialty foodstuffs we could buy with tickets, too.
    Yeah, I didn't move the animals for the first Pax Istaria event on the new island because it would involve redoing all their pathing and getting them set up right. May try for this year, but no promises. I liked it too.

Oh, yeah... special food is great.
    There was a food stuffs vendor last time we held this event and they'll be back again this year.

something like "treasure-hunt"?
    This could be set up for another year, but I hesitate to send players off the island that the event is on into various parts of the world because we want the event to be accessible to players of all levels.

Have a vendor sell some fireworks(forms) and maybe shoot some into the air every hour or so as a display. Fishing games can be done as well to win prizes (like whoever catches the most or catches a certain number. And for those who like making biped clothes, may I suggest swim ware?

Would like to see maybe the return of the wishgiver for this event.
    A few ideas in here so I'll try to catch them all... There was a fireworks vendor and they will be back. I didn't have them setting any off because the effect is taxing on the overall system so will leave that up to players to do.

I can set up a quest for a fishing trophy, but as far as quests for catching the most fish in a certain amount of time, that will have to be a player run event. Quests can only do one of two things.... who caught in a certain amount of time (a timer based quest advance) or who caught how many (a counter), not both. But it sounds like a GREAT event for players to run in conjunction with the summer event itself!

As for swim wear, we did not get any art work submitted, so won't be having anything new this year.

The Wishgiver may return in a future year, but currently the quests for the wishgiver are pretty dull, so I want to come up with quests that better fit into the overall event.

I don't know if this would be possible but how about a hunt for objects to fill a basket or get components for a decoration like a wreath or some other summery object--personally, I would LOVE a flower bed!
    Great quest idea, but as we have nothing new to provide art work wise, it won't be implemented this year.

As for new new things, perhaps some lore-style quests akin to the ones found in Aughundel or the Halloween festival depicting some race-specific folklore and stories and customs surrounding the season.
    Another good idea and so long as the NPC's were in the city itself, one wouldn't have to worry about low level players getting into trouble. But no one submitted any suggestions for what lore or anything more specific. This would have been a great way to give players the ability to build the banners and lair murals without having to buy the patterns, too!

-- coax a live ruxus to a certain point, king's crossing perhaps, by getting there with the ruxus still attacking (in battle with ruxus to trigger guard response). the guard "subdues" the creature for shipping.
    -- subdue a deer by attacking it with a mixing spoon in hand, by which you feed it an apple coated with a drug to make it fall asleep - may need to obtain an apple and visit a druid to get the apple ready
    -- bring in a fyakki by trapping it in a net on the isle of the drowned, much like a certain parrot was captured in the jungle
    -- find the turtle by visiting its log to bring it back
    We have no way of getting a mob to follow a player, nor do we have a way to track whether or not that happened. The tech just doesn't exist and would be extremely hard to develop. There are ways to work around this, though, so I'll keep it in mind for another year.

I'm guessing that it's too much for this year but next year can we consider formulas for picnic baskets and a red checkered picnic blanket?
    Sorry to repeat myself, but again, we didn't get any art work submissions for this year to do this.

you could have events that are races etc..hatchlings vs hatchling and biped vs biped i would love to see that one person run 247 speed he talks about while pulling a disk..
    This sounds like another awesome idea for a player run event. We have no way of tracking, though, one player competing against another. Nor do we have a way of ensuring that someone doesn't cheat and removes their cargo disk were we do set up a quest where you have to run through various stations in a certain amount of time.

I think that about covers everyone's ideas and what can and can't be implemented.

Thank you to everyone who participated and to those who did send in a couple of submissions for this year's event!

We have no way of getting a mob to follow a player, nor do we have a way to track whether or not that happened. The tech just doesn't exist and would be extremely hard to develop. There are ways to work around this, though, so I'll keep it in mind for another year.
    Mobs follow players when attacking them. My thinking was it might not be too hard to see if the player was being attacked by a ruxus when arriving at King's Cross NPC coordinates? The description was intended to be game feedback (like roleplay) of what was going on rather than actual coding.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Mobs follow players when attacking them. My thinking was it might not be too hard to see if the player was being attacked by a ruxus when arriving at King's Cross NPC coordinates? The description was intended to be game feedback (like roleplay) of what was going on rather than actual coding.
    Unfortunately, no. The quest system can check if you go to coordinates, but has no concept of whether you are being attacked or not.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

There's still a couple days left... I apologize for not realizing sooner that this wasn't fixed, but the corrupted files should now be fixed if anyone wants to take a stab at a mask.

It depends which server board I think is which.

There's still a couple days left... I apologize for not realizing sooner that this wasn't fixed, but the corrupted files should now be fixed if anyone wants to take a stab at a mask.
    Thanks for fixing it, but I've also no clue where you find the mask files? I'd love to make one real quick ^^

~Racky

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Thanks for fixing it, but I've also no clue where you find the mask files? I'd love to make one real quick ^^

~Racky
    There is a link to the page with the templates in the first post.

Now, my own question: What kind of deadline is there for art assets like masks? Or is it already too late? Been busy. :(

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

If players who are planning to submit art work could do so (to support) by June 15th, we'll consider them. Anything submitted after that may or may not be used this year.

Thank you. :)

(Working on figuring out the masks template file problem)
    To quote what I said earlier:

If players who are planning to submit art work could do so (to support) by June 15th, we'll consider them. Anything submitted after that may or may not be used this year.
    I think the deadline may have been the 15th.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    I think the deadline may have been the 15th.
    But I suspect anything you submit now would be considered for the next festival with masks... ;-)

It depends which server board I think is which.

Blargh, dang deadlines. I just made this if the devs may consider it. (see attached)
    I forgot to rename the file but it's supposed to say "Night_Sky_Mask.png" not the template name

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    But I suspect anything you submit now would be considered for the next festival with masks... ;-)
    I sure hope so. I have some ideas for some cool ones, but I missed the deadline also :/
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Thread Information