Thread: Observations of a new player

Default Observations of a new player

The game is dated, that's a given, I'm ok with the graphics and animations.

The game is not meant to be easy like so many out there. Good, awesome, that is why I'm here and not somewhere else.

However, a few things I've noted.

Sounds - these are overly compressed and many are just not good. Fixing sound effects isn't that hard, especially the way this game is. Now I will probably be working on my own sound pack soon, but this is one of those not super hard things to upgrade that adds polish to a game.

Running - Ok, so the game was developed in a time where running all over the map was the norm. Well now it's the exception. Gamers have gotten used to, and very well should expect better than that. Example: Go collect ore to make belts. Come back when you've got some ore. Now go back to where you just were and turn them into bars. Now return to me with the bars. Sweet those are bars, now go make 5 belts. Really? You can't even get multiple quests from the same crafting trainer to make this tolerable.

suggestion: I would start looking at the early quests and taking out excessive running. This really would help with new player retention.

The 'Roleplay' server - So the rules state names can't be phrases on this server - if I wanted to see OOC names I would have rolled on chaos. Speaking of that, since the roleplay server doesn't have much roleplay, or players, how can one get transferred to chaos? Not rerolling, not repeating the pointless running.

That said, I love most of the game and I should have started playing ages ago, but I was working for a competitor at the time, and assumed this was just another bad clone.

Default Re: Observations of a new player

Thanks for the feedback, Sovereign. Quick question, did you start as a dragon or biped? The starter islands are very different so would help to narrow it down.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Both, and to be clear I didn't find the starter islands to be frustrating but many quests on new trismus are

It depends which server board I think is which.

It costs 25$ to get a shard transfer. Also most of the RP on Order is unfortunately dead or in a very low time, and any RP is in the "Role Play" channel.

~Racktor

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Both, and to be clear I didn't find the starter islands to be frustrating but many quests on new trismus are
    Ah, thank you for that clarification. So, in particular it was the crafting quests that bothered you the most? Any particular school or all of them?

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Specifically the outfitter quests, although I admit to limited experience with crafting

More things to note:

The game seems balanced for dragons and that's about it. My dragon feels overpowered running around basically fighting anything it wants at or close to its level.

My biped on the other hand (scout), at level 14 still can't kill a level 9 skeleton warrior. This is 5 levels lower than me and the damage I'm putting out is next to nil. It's not consistent either. Sometimes my bow will do full damage to the thing, other times it does 2 damage. I never know what it's going to be so every once in awhile I can kill one. Typically though, I am wondering how this level 9 creature can hit me so often for so much damage even while I'm using my Evasion cooldown. By comparison, a level 9 loricatus(sp?) beetle doesn't hit me even once, even without using the cooldown.

Doesn't matter what weapon I use either. I have tried sword and mace, both have inconsistent damage, sometimes hitting for full, sometimes not even close.

Are we encouraged to only play dragons? Because I don't see why I would want to play a biped and continue grinding super boring loricatus beetles on the beaches of kion to further over level the skeletons just so I can beat one when my dragon steamrolls them several at a time.

I play both but mainly my Saris. She is holding her own with her battling. But having multiple schools really helps a lot. So, dont give up so soon. Be patient and work your character up. Or, play a dragon if you think they are so overpowered.

It can't be stressed enough that undead mobs are harder! Hopefully by now you've worked out mobs have their own different strengths and weaknesses, and the undead are most certainly no different in this respect. They also have their own varieties of abilities which, just like us 'gifted' can turn the tide of the battle very quickly. Undead and aegis mobs are almost always harder than other mobs of similar level, so please don't be discouraged if they mop the floor with your brains, while you may have no problems smashing out wolves and the like.

As an aside, I would be very careful in comparing Dragons to bipeds, especially when your comparing dragons to a scout... which, let's be honest, have almost no similarities, so you're comparing oranges to a lamb steak

As for your wildly varying damage... yup almost everything is run off normal distributions of random numbers, with your stats/skills of course being the primary ingredient and naturally the enemies skills/stats/defences etc also having a major impact. As a scout you'll likely be dealing in Pierce damage (iirc), so you'll find quickly which mobs are resistant to this and either avoid them, or take 5-8 levels of mage and then you can cast damage buffs on yourself which change your attack type to flame/ice/energy as needed.

Dragons are undoubtedly powerhouse melee DPS-ers, a scout is typically not. You have other strengths, so you'll just need to spend some time working out what they are and if they fit your play style. If not, time to change schools

I hope I have not discouraged you, best of luck and happy huntings!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

...The game seems balanced for dragons and that's about it. My dragon feels overpowered running around basically fighting anything it wants at or close to its level.

My biped on the other hand (scout), at level 14 still can't kill a level 9 skeleton warrior. This is 5 levels lower than me and the damage I'm putting out is next to nil. ...
    Well, I did started Istaria as a human biped. I took warrior/cleric and at level 15 war / 10 cle I gave up, mostly because of the same reason - undeads were moping the grounds with my poor biped which used lvl11 refurbished bronze plate armors at the time of his demisal
    The game as a solo newcomer biped with crap equipment was just too hard.
    So i rolled a dragon and things went on the brighter side again since they're innately strong and less dependent of equipment in the early levels.

The game is simply not balanced to newcomers biped solo play. You need to group at lower levels alot and also to try to avoid undeads. Notable harder mobs were also the skulks which are very though and on top of that - very social.

Or to take a different approach. Level crafting classes first - blacksmith, outfitter, fitter, weaver.
    The first 2 classes will give you basic tools, weapon and armors making capabilities, while the latter two will provide 10 str and 10 dex per level respectively.
    On top of that, with high level crafting you can use the nice ironsilk armors which are waaaay better than the lowbie plate armor.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

So, let me get this right, because this is the way I am reading this thread-

We should nix the crafting quests because it takes too long to run back and forth to complete? --- I see this as a way new guys learn the map and locations. Well maybe your right lets nix em and just do one or two laps and get master crafter.

The bi-peds are too weak and can't kill anything-- I see this as how it should be. I believe dragons are way overpowered and why on Istaria would you want to be able to run in and insta kill? Where is the challange? Well I guess you guys may be right here too. Lets just all start as uber peds and vet dragons, no sense in working too long on this game right?

Aside from the sarcasim- I believe we live in a I want it now, I want it cheap, and I want it easy world. It is sad that it even filters down into gaming. I like the fact that it takes forever to do quests, mine, lvl, build. That's the main reason I play bi-ped. 19 craft schools, 28 advy vs. 300 lvls total for dragons.
    For you that want the easy route and uberness- go find a game and pop out your game genie codes or what-not, leave this game alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sslarn View Post
    So, let me get this right, because this is the way I am reading this thread-

We should nix the crafting quests because it takes too long to run back and forth to complete? --- I see this as a way new guys learn the map and locations. Well maybe your right lets nix em and just do one or two laps and get master crafter.

The bi-peds are too weak and can't kill anything-- I see this as how it should be. I believe dragons are way overpowered and why on Istaria would you want to be able to run in and insta kill? Where is the challange? Well I guess you guys may be right here too. Lets just all start as uber peds and vet dragons, no sense in working too long on this game right?

Aside from the sarcasim- I believe we live in a I want it now, I want it cheap, and I want it easy world. It is sad that it even filters down into gaming. I like the fact that it takes forever to do quests, mine, lvl, build. That's the main reason I play bi-ped. 19 craft schools, 28 advy vs. 300 lvls total for dragons.
    For you that want the easy route and uberness- go find a game and pop out your game genie codes or what-not, leave this game alone.
    ^
    well said. I have always said istaria has a steep learning curve, and while it shouldn't be so hard that you can't figure out what to do, it shouldn't be so easy like other games where areas highlighted in yellow and arrows take you to the exact mob. The NPC's in istaria provide directions/instructions just have to take the time to read *gasp* :P

all joking aside, even the vets and uber peds started at where you and other new players are now. Don't be discouraged ask those who have gone before you

Folks, let's not attack people for their opinions please. They are his opinions and he is entitled to them just like you are entitled to yours.

That said, he is not asking for us to make it easier. He's asking us to look into repetitive grind that may discourage new players. That is not a bad thing, its something in fact we're always working on. Remember, we want to keep new players, not run them off.

The Outfitter quests on NT, for example, stink to put it bluntly and before Sovereign even brought them up they were on our list to redo. It just hasn't gotten to the top yet.

The undead on NT and elsewhere are difficult, that is for sure. And that is why quests into the NT Deadlands recommend you bring friends. But, that doesn't mean that they can't be tweaked nor does it mean that they should be super easy one-shot kills.

What AmonGwareth is saying is what I'm talking about. I'm not a fan of super easy games, so don't get me wrong.

I found it, and still find it overly difficult to solo the deadland mobs and it might be my own fault that I missed the quest givers saying it was meant to be done in a group.

I am leaving the area alone for now but I do think that while you want to keep the game difficult, you want to ease some of the repetitive things. First quest I did in NT was run around the island to get to know it, then every craft quest giver after that also makes you do it.

I am finding Kion to have better flow, however.

What AmonGwareth is saying is what I'm talking about. I'm not a fan of super easy games, so don't get me wrong.

I found it, and still find it overly difficult to solo the deadland mobs and it might be my own fault that I missed the quest givers saying it was meant to be done in a group.

I am leaving the area alone for now but I do think that while you want to keep the game difficult, you want to ease some of the repetitive things. First quest I did in NT was run around the island to get to know it, then every craft quest giver after that also makes you do it.

I am finding Kion to have better flow, however.
    Ignore the naysayers, Sovereign. A new perspective is exactly what we need. Good or bad.

As long as it's constructive no opinion is ignored here which is what makes this such a unique game. The devs listen as much as the players do.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Hm if armor and weapons was an issue with your biped char try asking around in market channel for items most are willing to make a quick set of gear specially bronze type armor and t1 weapon. i will admit the refurbished item s are very lacking but that's my guess is refurbished. As for possible idea why damage is low possibly due to weapons is the related skill at the beginning of things. To make things a little easier for your biped character is multi-classing, im not saying like some of the elder players but a basic combo of warrior/cleric or scout if you prefer can help allowing you to at least use some form of self healing. As for the quests i can not give any comments since i actually never did any crafting quests during the time i did crafting . In an off comment between a biped vs hatchy dragon, dragons are kind of a multi-classed biped, mage (primal), cleric (healing) and warrior (tooth and claw). This is the Wiki for istaria it may help you understand each of the available schools currently in the game along with stats and skills.

Thread Information