Thread: Random thought/idea re: crossbowman

Default Random thought/idea re: crossbowman

This class seems kinda neat but also pretty plain, as do crossbows in general. I was thinking - obviously it has quite a lot in the way of implicaitons, and some damage would need to be adjusted, but.. it'd be kinda cool to allow characters to use a shield with a crossbow! Rather than just having a different damage range/delay than bows, it'd make the two pretty separate and unique, while also making some amount of sense. Just an idea!

Default Re: Random thought/idea re: crossbowman

How would you shoot and load a crossbow with one hand?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Technically, not all shields require the use of your hand, some leave your hand very free to manipulate objects.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    With dual wielding repeating crossbows like in D3 of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Technically, not all shields require the use of your hand, some leave your hand very free to manipulate objects.
    ^^
    This.

Smaller shields could easily allow you to load a smaller crossbow while wearing it.

Yup! I imagine perhaps only allowing smaller shields, as a result? Bucklers and arm shields would easily leave a free hand for loading a bolt before ground-cocking your weapon.

This would facilitate the reloading of a simple crossbow-style weapon while still not really being appropriate for the various swings and parries of larger two-handed weapons.

Edit: Also I totally thought there were historical instances of this, but I may be thinking of the pavise. It's funny that all the video games nowadays make it hard to search for 'crossbow' and find something not about a d20, PC game, or similar!
    Last edited by Losian; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:54 AM.

Yeah, when looking for real information these days, you have to resort to actual books. Kind of odd how things changed again.

And d3's dual wielding crossbows is ridiculous. Fun, but ridiculous. I don't think this game should ever approach anything like that. I would like to see dual daggers though, but that's another thread entirely.

Yeah, when looking for real information these days, you have to resort to actual books. Kind of odd how things changed again.

And d3's dual wielding crossbows is ridiculous. Fun, but ridiculous. I don't think this game should ever approach anything like that. I would like to see dual daggers though, but that's another thread entirely.
    I would agree completely. I quoted the wrong personal initially.

Edit: Speaking of doubledaggers.. it'd sure be easy to add an off-hand item with dagger appearance which added a sinple %chance for extra damage to main hand, essentially your chance to activate it.. but as you said, that's another thread altogether!

The same way you have unlimited arrows, cast magical spells and can teleport... Magic!
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    The same way you have unlimited arrows, cast magical spells and can teleport... Magic!
    Hah... But not in this case. Would need other ways to spice up crossbowman. Which, btw, I am open to suggestions about. Just not ones where they can wear a shield or dual-wield crossbows.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Hah... But not in this case. Would need other ways to spice up crossbowman. Which, btw, I am open to suggestions about. Just not ones where they can wear a shield or dual-wield crossbows.
    I don't know what crossbowman abilities there are, but since they shoot bolts rather than arrows, perhaps have an ability to change damage types, as though a small alchemical vial were in the bolt? Acid damage or exploding, for example? Or even butterflies, to stun? ;-) Or a net, to immobilize?

Quests to improve accuracy, speed, and damage of course would be helpful; something like Calamir's grip does for a longbow. Perhaps a special oil for smoother loading (reduced delay) or a tinkered mechanism for extra damage or range?

I believe that crossbows were known for getting through platemail better than normal bows; perhaps penetrating bolts, which overcome damage reduction?

Just some thoughts tossed out. I do not know what the class can do aside from fire crossbows so I do not know what other skills to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    as though a small alchemical vial were in the bolt
    Thinking on this some more, it struck me that small radius aoe as a special ability for crossbowman might separate them from the other archer classes a bit.

The only problem with putting a DoT effect on anything that would shoot as fast as a crossbow is that the DoTs on weapons are currently broken apparently.

When you get a proc for DoT the damage won't show up until the first tick rather than upon impact. So the timer starts and let's say it's 6-seconds later the first damage shows up. If you get another proc during that time, the timer resets. If you're using a fast weapon (like a bow or crossbow) I'm assuming that can be a cumulative effect that could potentially render it useless depending on the length of the fight and how lucky (or unlucky really) you are.

Currently being discussed here:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26505

For crossbow man I'd love to see the ability to do a small AoE stun, that would be something different. Maybe not getting a damage/skill reduction from having enemies within 1-3 meters. In fact possibly a skill that increases damage to these foes by adding a butt-stroke skill that allows you to automatically hit them with the butt of your weapon while you're reloading.

Definitely would suggest a skill like reavers have where the arrows ignore armor for a certain period of time. That would get people playing crossbowman for sure.

And as far as a masterable skill. A buff to cast that increases all ranged damage that works with (doesn't cancel out) rapid fire, energize or flurry/rain of arrows but works with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    The only problem with putting a DoT effect on anything that would shoot as fast as a crossbow is that the DoTs on weapons are currently broken apparently.
    What was posted as a DoT suggestion? And there does not seem to be a problem with envenomed arrows for archers, so why not have a similar one-shot ability for a crossbow?

I don't have crossbowman either all i know about crossbows are they the slowest fire speed, higher damage per hit but also short possibly shortest range of ranged weapons. As far as i know they gain a missile defend basically only works against ranged attacks vs the defend other which defends against anything directed at the target being defended.

Compared to the other available schools Scout, ranger and elemental archer, sadly all three of them are in my opinion better than crossbowman currently is as far as abilities and general effectiviness

You can stand the shield in front of you and rest the crossbow on it for aiming, back off a bit for reloading and repeat that. I am pretty sure that people did that in the time crossbows were used in combat.

I only found some toy images, tough:
    http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ours..._V1%28L%29.jpg
    http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ours...3-1%28L%29.jpg

(This would go into the other direction and disallow small shields like bucklers, but only allows the biggest tower shields that are in game. Also it probably only is good for ranged combat)
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Thread Information