Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the lower community...

Default What happened to the lower community...

It seems that if your not a rating over 100 there really is nothing for you in this game. You can ask in marketplace and new player all day and literally not get anything, but if a sog or myloc queen group gets thrown up i can see the responses generated on those and how many people flock to them.

There are some that break the mold and are willing to help, but If your not a dragon it seems your pretty much screwed. I am all the time in all three main channels and i can see the difference. I remember when I used to play this game years ago there was always a group running for this or for that, whether it be bone marrows out by tazoon or destroying one of the blighted areas. If you more experienced veterans want to encourage others to join this game and possibly drag their freinds to it, dont you think that this is a problem. MarketPlace and new player should always be active not only when certain people are on. I just would like to know what happened to that community and if we can get it back together. Maybe an experienced person could take it upon themselves to try to get some of us lower people together and get stuff we need to get done so we can join you guys up at 100.

Default Re: What happened to the lower community...

I remember when Sigi was a low level character, a friend and I, we grouped up with about the same level players. We didn't need an experienced player to get us together. We missed out on some stuff because we didn't know about it but that didn't spoil the fun.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

What exactly do you _have_ to do before reaching 100, though?

If you can't handle (x quest here) yet, get some levels until you can.

Yes, that is kinda a sucky answer, but it IS an answer nevertheless.

If you're a dragon and you need (insert Ability quest here), wait a few levels until you can handle the mobs they want for it. Very few of the dragon abilities are absolutely mandatory and even then, having 1 tier behind won't hurt you that much. If you're capable of Gold Rage V but only have IV, for example, you're not going to suddenly be unable to kill mobs that give you trophies.

Spells and equipment can be crafted (tho I would understand not everyone wants to be a Blacksmith/Armorer/Weaponcrafter/Fletcher/Tailor/Leatherworker/Spellcrafter 100 just to make their own equipment, and I'd agree that would kinda suck if you can't find anyone to make equipment for you (since that DOES make a big difference).

With Dragons, though, DCRA is the only craft you need to make your own stuff; in fact leveling that first allows you to wear very powerful equipment before you'd normally get to and makes adventuring a lot easier.

This is just my opinion-

I tried to be for some time in the marketplace channel, new player and construction channel (on Chaos)
    I now try to stay out of those channels because of all the ramblings about peoples cars, kids, the dog next door and whatever else someone is running on about.
    Maybe it is me, but when in marketplace I expect to see, hey I am selling this, hey anyone have this for sale?, how much are these worth and so on. You know- market talk.
    I expect the same in new player- I expect to see new players ask a question and someone in there to help answer. Or a new player stuck and someone step up to go help guide them. Thats what I go in there for to try and help.

Over the last week or so, I have seen Finkled post that he has restocked Acul- other than that I have gotten tired of all the off topic chit-chat. (that's what the general channel is for).

So I think what you may be seeing is others like me turned off by all the rambling and they just don't pay attention to the chat anymore, not that no one is there to help. Because they are.

This just isnt the community that i rem, thats all im trying to say. And yeah hey i think everyone knows that if you cant do a quest you outlvl it then come back to it. But in all honesty did you ever think that that thinking is a problem. you know they say that this game is supposed to have one of the best communities out there but im not really seeing it to be honest.

Try getting something made for a lower toon and you might as well cut your own head off or be prepared to hear everyones opinion about how they think you should jsut wait till you grind out one craft or one adv lvl to 100 then you can wear anything. And there we are back at the max lvl cap again, which is what i originally said, if your not 100 then a lot of times you get ignored or whatever. Unless of course certain people are on and fink being one of them. but if they are not forget about it.

I am with you Oly.
    And though its very long ago, I remember the frustration, and the feeling
    not beeing a part of "them."

Then came Miquel (on Earth) and later we had the famous Disintergrate (whom we all love and miss ) on Chaos and Order, who spend a lot of their ingame time to care for newbies of all level.
    Took them (us) out for hunting, sharing tips and tricks, caring for equippment.

Yes -we need those unselfish heros . Sometimes they have been told to stop bringing lowies to big mobs..cheating BS
    Have you ever seen xp in such a group?
    Where the groupleader has a rating higher 200?

I feel a bit bad that I did not follow this footsteps..
    so- new plot is fine- work for 1 year granted^^.. but I shall think about something for the lower levl on Order. Or I give Disi a call to make him return

I wish you luck Oly (if you play on Chaos) that you find some folks to join your activities.

greetings
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by olyblast View Post
    It seems that if your not a rating over 100 there really is nothing for you in this game. You can ask in marketplace and new player all day and literally not get anything...
    My biped was 100 cleric and he also was 100 blacksmith, but he was lacking the skill to make triple teched t5 armors. So I had to ask on marketplace.
    It took me several calls on MarketPlace and more then an hour till i found someone willing to make him a teched set of scalemail - mind you, i had all the components needed.

So have some patience and try to remember that people usually have their own agendas.

Disclaimer* this was happening on Order where the community is really small and apparently a lot nicer than Chaos.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

It takes folks willing to break away from what they're already doing to help others.
    To those who care, it is generally worth the effort. However, constant demands from all tiers gets wearing. It takes the whole community pitching in.

There are some who consistently stock the NT connie with tier I items; that is one way to help without disrupting something mid-process. Tiers II-IV really suffer, because fewer stock generic items on connies. Those items may not move quickly since tech'd items are much more useful, but if some volunteers could help with that, it might make things a little easier for up + coming players.

Even if you cannot assist the lower level hunts when they call, having potions/scrolls/other consumables available for them can make a huge difference in battle. Anyone willing to help (especially those that already have/do), please know that it is appreciated.

Olyblast,
    There have been many rants and discussions regarding the community. Yes, the community has changed from what you remember. I was a fresh new player on Chaos a year ago and fortunately I had a different experience, and continue to. My friend and I were greeted early on by an Ancient Dragon and well equipped for newbies. He even helped us defeat the unreadable in NT.
    After that I engaged in both on and off topic chatter in NPA and Marketplace, making aquaintences and friends alike. I have requested, bought, and been even been gifted gear. Now, even though Im still pushing L50 as a biped I know I can call an any number of similar rank or 100s to help me out.
    That being said, I believe everyone experiences the community a little differently. Don't be disheartened. Hindsight is 20/20 and often rose colored...very few things are as good as you remember. But if your willing to put the past aside you may find a new reason to fall in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Sslarn View Post
    Over the last week or so, I have seen Finkled post that he has restocked Acul- other than that I have gotten tired of all the off topic chit-chat. (that's what the general channel is for).
    And everyone now and then I get blasted for it. I always think "this is the Marketplace... Right?" hehe

But I'm guilty of the useless talk too; however we all gotta remember!

"If no ones talking its a dead community"

Quote Originally Posted by olyblast View Post
    It seems that if your not a rating over 100 there really is nothing for you in this game. You can ask in marketplace and new player all day and literally not get anything, but if a sog or myloc queen group gets thrown up i can see the responses generated on those and how many people flock to them.

There are some that break the mold and are willing to help, but If your not a dragon it seems your pretty much screwed. I am all the time in all three main channels and i can see the difference. I remember when I used to play this game years ago there was always a group running for this or for that, whether it be bone marrows out by tazoon or destroying one of the blighted areas. If you more experienced veterans want to encourage others to join this game and possibly drag their freinds to it, dont you think that this is a problem. MarketPlace and new player should always be active not only when certain people are on. I just would like to know what happened to that community and if we can get it back together. Maybe an experienced person could take it upon themselves to try to get some of us lower people together and get stuff we need to get done so we can join you guys up at 100.

We should all relax a little and try to integrate ourselves into the times and stop trying to be the voice over the people. Time changes everything.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Need something made Oly? Armor, weapons? I'm always out there willing to lend a helping hand to new players. I might have you earn it a bit, but only so you appreciate the techs added to the gear.

On Order shard (can't speak for Chaos) I haven't had a problem getting things made for my lower level satyr but there is definitely a problem finding low level groups. My main gnome can't group with lower levels because her rating is too high even when she is playing a class where her level is low and matches that of a newer player. My gnome will take all the xp away. I have helped on quests where the player doesn't care as much about the xp as about finishing the quest.

Cixi usually will stop and make things for lower level bipeds although she is very, very lazy. She can't help right now because I can't log in due to temporary computer issues.
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

Sorry to hear about computer problems. Return as soon as you can cuz your sorely missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are running into this on Chaos, Olyblast, you are likely also running into the issue of players who are burnt out on helping younger players- just to have them up and leave once their two weeks are done. Or they get bored and roll a different character to try to out a different school without having to multiclass grind and ask for help all over again.

There's also the power-leveling can of worms I don't want to tip over, but I will at least point in the direction of for why some players won't help a lower level player with their level 100. And not all those level 100 players have alts of various levels.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but if you ever get stuck on a quest due to your level not yet being up to snuff, trophy grinding is always an option and puts a little money in your pocket to help you along. Keep an eye out on the quest text too; if it mentions anything about bringing friends, it's not a quest intended to be done solo or even with a small group. For those, you may have more luck getting help over standard quests if you note the problem there. A lot of those quests turned up after several longterm players had already maxed out, so they won't necessarily recognize the problem by quest name alone.

I would definitely agree with Kyrieath's post, and know several others who would as well. Many of my friends as well as myself used to spend most of our time helping out newer players in New Trismus and whatnot, and now most of us avoid it like the plague. Just the other day we had an incident with a hatchling who joined our guild not too long ago. He hardly ever said a word until he was ready to start his RoP and soon as he was done with his RoP he didn't even wait for people to come see, not even the ones who helped him, and then left the guild when we asked why he didnt even wait for us to come watch. So we were pretty much used the entire time, and it left us pretty ticked with that particular player. It's things like that that turn off many higher leveled players from helping lower level ones. It's sad to say but I think it is a lot harder than what it used to be to find new players who truly appreciate any help that they get and show it. I for one have certainly grown tired of constantly getting sent private messages from random people wanting help, and I try to help them out only to have them constantly spam me with more messages and what not with helping them with something else, only coming to me when they need something and nothing more.

Just remember that not all new players are evil and leave once they get what they want. We're out there, somewhere ^(^_^)^

I'm kinda new here but I usually make sure to thank people who help me. Although I am new to this game, I have played other games and know how it feels when you help a new player only for them to leave without even a little thank you.

Howdy

I pop back in here from time to time. You don't know me but I was the one that setup NPA channel way back in the day on chaos.

Let me tell you first off I totally feel your pain. There is little hand holding in this game and it can be quite frustrating to have fun and have to grind all the crafts you need to keep yourself in gear.

The first problem is the small population. Cant really fix that one.

Attitudes are also an issue since vets have been here so long and just don't want to bother helping a new player that may or may not stick around. It sucks but is a real reason.

Of course, that very attitude contributes to new players not sticking around, feeling unwelcome and unwanted.

Then you also have the attitude problems that dragons seem to display. If you aint dragon you aint nothing. And its not roll play its more thinking they can fly and breath fire, so they are somehow superior to bipeds. ( of course they always ask bipeds to help them in the rop .. go figure )

Awhile back I tried to get a new players only guild together only to find there were not enough biped new players to make it work.

Bottom line here is really what has been said... Enjoy what you do, level yourself, and since it will take time to do it on your own, settle in for the long haul.

However, if I re-activate my high levels, I will always offer assistance and freely make anything you need.
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AamerKhan View Post
    Attitudes are also an issue since vets have been here so long and just don't want to bother helping a new player that may or may not stick around. It sucks but is a real reason.

Of course, that very attitude contributes to new players not sticking around, feeling unwelcome and unwanted.

Then you also have the attitude problems that dragons seem to display. If you aint dragon you aint nothing. And its not roll play its more thinking they can fly and breath fire, so they are somehow superior to bipeds. ( of course they always ask bipeds to help them in the rop .. go figure )
    This is a huge problem. I myself used to have alts on Chaos and Order, but have limited myself to Blight
    recently due to the high-and-mighty attitudes of the vets, even when I did not ask for help. Not the peds, mind you - I've NEVER had a problem with a biped. It's mainly the level 100 dragons. PL-ing is a problem, but understanding that not everyone wants to be bottle-fed is something everyone seems to have forgotten. Not saying that Blight doesn't have the above problem or the PL problem - it does - but it it simply no where near as common.

Edit: Sorry if this offends anyone. It is not meant that way.
    Last edited by Myrdiatoken; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:19 AM.

It depends which server board I think is which.

I myself generally like to help the new players, especially if they seem like they actually want to stay beyond two weeks and are willing to form a friendship rather than feed off me for help. I don't generally judge a book my its cover, nor do I deny help just because I'm lazy - it's usually because I'm in the middle of something.

Also, I've almost never had a problem with dragons - there are a few who I'd like to give a tongue lashing to, yes, but mostly I find my pet-peeves with bipeds. Of course, I'm not trying to be racist (hehe) here, but I'm just saying that's generally who I have a problem with - rating 200-whatever (I can't remember the cap... 256?) veterans who like to boss "newer" players around.

I have a friend on Order who is actually petrified of posting something or asking for help in Marketplace because she feels that someone or someone in particular would give her a tongue lashing for not being 100/100/100 and able to care for everything herself. :/

Anyways, to any new players who read this - don't be afraid to poke any of the characters in my signature. I don't bite~

Thread Information