Thread: How does Resurrection Work?

Question How does Resurrection Work?

Hello Forum,

I was sort of wondering about how exactly the Resurrection spell worked... I honestly have no idea lore-wise how its supposed to work, and was under the impression that when someone dies and their soul is no longer present in their body the spell calls it back? But I'd love to know how that actually works vs what I've always though, and would love to see others take on the spell as well.

I also have a more specific question relation to your opinions on what you think the spell would do to a particular char of mine's soul. His is not actually in his body, but rather bound to a raven he keeps with him. I was just curious as to what you lot think might happen if the spell was cast on him. I was thinking that (again under the impression the spell pulls the soul back to his body not necessarily the raven, for his soul is basically misplaced) that it would actually do more harm than good. Soul rips, messing with its stability, that sort of thing. Because it would be being pulled in two different directions by the spell. Was merely curious as to what people though might happen to a character like that who needed to be rezzed....?

[relatively new to RPing so bare with me =P]
    "Beware, ye, of the dragon's lair, for ye are juicy and medium rare!"

Laydon Darkwing: Ancient Dragon 100/100, Andaer Nevarth: Male Elf, rating 65, Calamitosus: Adult Dragon 35/36, Furiosae Caelorum: Adult Dragon 60/52

Default Re: How does Resurrection Work?

It pulls the spirit of the gifted from the shrine they bound it to intead of the dead person having to recall their body to it.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    It pulls the spirit of the gifted from the shrine they bound it to intead of the dead person having to recall their body to it.
    Ah. Well... What about a non-gifted character then...? Like my char I mentioned before? Since, according to the lore, technically only a small percentage of the population is supposed to be gifted, but I presume the Ressurection Spell still works on non-gifted, right?

Laydon Darkwing: Ancient Dragon 100/100, Andaer Nevarth: Male Elf, rating 65, Calamitosus: Adult Dragon 35/36, Furiosae Caelorum: Adult Dragon 60/52

Presumably it summons the spirit from wherever it was headed back to the body.

In lore, death tends to be understood as thus: When someone dies, their soul/spirit departs their body and travels to the Realm of Spirit. (Think Greek underworld. Everyone goes to the same place, and it's not necessary good or bad, just dead.)

Resurrection spells are of the school of Nyrevin (goddess of spirit/death and rebirth), even though they are listed as life skill. In general, for gifted and presumably for normal people too, the spirit lingers around the body/Istaria for a time, before departing to wherever it might go. In lore, rez spells have worked on non gifted and existed prior to the gift - however, they were not always successful. If it was quick, the spirit could be plucked back into the body before it departed. Once departed, however, rez becomes very complicated and requires invoking Nyrevin for the return of a certain spirit. This is almost never done anymore. (Dragons see it in the quest for Drulkar's wrath, but the only known priest of Nyrevin is the mummy we talk to.)

When a Gifted person dies and hits recall, they travel nearly instantly to the Realm of Spirit and basically bounce off it, which is what causes the soul splinters (death points) we accrue. The soul is then dragged back to the shrine. What happens next depends on your point of view (there have been discussions on whether or not the body is transported, or a new one is made, etc. I personally go with the body being transported rather than break conservation of energy - which is apparently broken in construction anyway, since materials that go into blocks weight more than the component parts ;p).

In the case of your ravenelf, rez spells could be very dangerous if the rezzer does not know that the place where the spirit goes is not the same as the body. I presume some sort of link must exist between the soul/spirit in the raven, and the body of the elf, or he would probably be showing serious signs of aegis-like decay - be that the case, the rezzer might also need to reestablish the link, but that depends on the circumstances of how/why the soul is in the raven in the first place.

Hope this helps.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Wow thanks. Yeah this is really informative and helpful. Thanks for explaining in more detail! And yes, there is a link between my elf and the raven, heh. No zombie aegis chars for me~

This has been interesting to learn more about. Thanks to anyone who posted thus far!

Thread Information