Thread: friends and thieves

Default friends and thieves

thieves on Order too.
    Bricks from silos- Flame`s work of the evening.
    We´ve been sad, we`ve been disappointed and a bit depressed.
    All those, whose work has been stolen too before, can tell.

Istaria`s shame!

I said in market that I wait two hours, then return to check if the bricks
    are in silo again.
    Our bricks did not return- but
    my sis told me, that she and friends worked hard and made bricks for us- much more than our loss- and locked them in a silo..

we are touched, we are happy- we feel blessed to have such friends.

Istaria`s pride and honor !

we say thank you so much and bow low to
    sis Heather
    friend mehrunea
    Sir Knossos
    son Declan
    and his friend Stormvy

if there was someone else pls let us know-we shall add him/her to the list.

Long live Istaria

(and devs- do something against thieves- no matter if its from open silos-if we cant turn backs for some min- because we get robbed- open plots make no sense)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Default Re: friends and thieves

I'm sorry for the resources you lost and the hard-work you and others may have put into it. But, if you place items into a structure that is flagged public then you are leaving it open to anyone to take and there is nothing we can do about it as they have not violated any game rules. If you are making them available to certain people then you should restrict access to those people.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I'm sorry for the resources you lost and the hard-work you and others may have put into it. But, if you place items into a structure that is flagged public then you are leaving it open to anyone to take and there is nothing we can do about it as they have not violated any game rules. If you are making them available to certain people then you should restrict access to those people.
    problems in that respect. 1: you can't restrict some for certain ppl, and others for public. it's either guild only and public which work nicely together.

2: if you use the other options, you can not set some silos for friends and others for public. can this be changed so you can set some similar to guild only, but friends list? as guild only and public work together, friends list and public does not seem to work the same. either all plot structures are friends only or locked. maybe i'm mistaken here, but i can't seem to use friends list and public on same plot.

can you please look into setting plot structures so friends list/guild only/public can be used simultaniously?

though there's still the problem of a public plot being public for all, and you are still better off dragging your made/unmade bricks back to your own plot, making public use pointless

A couple of name and shame episodes, supported by dev team of course, will make the existing thieves disappear and the future ones think more than twice to do it.

As it is now, they feel safe to rob the public silos and hurt the entire community in the process.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    "...they have not violated any game rules." is not exactly correct. Isn't there some rule in the TOC regarding harassment? Taking something that does not belong to you could be construed as harassing a player. If we go by the TOC these thieves can and should be made an example of, and or banned.

Correction: Code of conduct...(Not TOC) sorry was early and as in the movie Jaws..."just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water" the material thieves have returned.

I have a horrible feeling, that soon enough, there will no longer be silos available to the public due to thieves. They ruin the game for so many.

We have been over this time and time again for the duration of the time I can recall being on the forums even back when you could post as a guest.

If you put something in a public silo you have placed a sign on it that's says "if you need it, help yourself". Especially overnight.

I don't mean to be the naysayer, but you don't gamble with your rent money or leave it on a park bench. I wouldn't think you would do that with resources you intend to keep either.

If that's not how you feel, don't keep your stuff in a public silo. Sorry, but there have been times before I had my silos built or some of my public plots/lairs when I WISHED a thief would strike because people just leave their stuff willy-nilly in public silos that I would be trying to use.

I would, however, like to see the ability to adjust a friends list on structures individually if the overall restriction is set to friends-only or allow all.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Yup good points...but what happened to "ask in channels if the person was on before taking the silo for one's own use?" I don't think it is the case as materials are just being taken and the silo left empty.

If there is no penalty for taking goods made by others why don't the players that are taking these goods just stand up and say they took the materials? I think they know what they did was wrong, regardless whether leaving your rent check on the park bench or not is a bad idea.

Peaches is right, soon there will be no public silos. I personally think that is the answer.

I know that feeling all too well Lov, which is why I take the extra time, and effort now to make my bricks/bars/orbs. ect... and fly them to my own lair. I just can`t trust putting anything into public silos anymore especialy when I see other`s working along side me (unless I know them personaly)
    Far too often I make resourses, put them into an empty public silo, run off to gather more, come back, and my silo`s been whiped clean by someone else who`s also making resourses.
    It`s a sad thing to witness in such a good community D:
    If I see something in a silo, I always leave it be unless the maker tells me it`s ok to take them ^^ otherwize the product remains in. it`s just plain manors. c`mon people XD

Mensar- I hear you

In this case Lupus left them there for exactly 23 min (logs)
    to change school and prepare everything for further crafting...

Thank you all for posting here:-)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

That happened to me once in Snowfall, on as my sslik, crashed while gathering, logged back in only a few moments later. saw first hand who took my items, and reported him/her to market, also confronted them. they didn`t reply so I emptied all the silos I was useing, and ported all my bricks to my plot... :P
    shoulda charged that player my porting fees *smirks*

We no longer have public silos at Sem because our guild was ripped off.
    A shame and inconvenient for our friends but what else can be done?
    Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!
    Join the GLF! *Gnome Liberation Front

I find storing resources in a public connie a more reliable choice because as long as you stay logged in, if someone tries to swipe your stuff the game will message you the person's name and the amount stolen from you. Then you can take whatever action you deem reasonable, be it contacting the individual themselves and persuading them to return the item or reporting them to their guild leader.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Wow, that's a brazen thief then, Lovwyrm!

I have several plots and lairs that have public silos and machines.. in fact almost all of them do.

Specifically:
    Full T6 machine lair with 40 public silos and connie in Guild: Papa
    Darvus - All 13 expert shops with 26 public silos ( 9 shops still under construction - current project, but the silos are done at least) and another 42 - T5 silos I may open up to the public eventually and, of course, a vault
    Darvus plot two - Public large tavern (under construction) and vault
    Darvus plot three - Public large gambling den (under construction)
    Jirakis - Public lair at obsidian with public stoneworking machines and 4 silos, vault (thanks Knossos) and shrine
    Harro - Public plot with expert clothworking, scholar and woodworking shops, connie and 15 public silos
    Wolf's Paw - Public plot at the mithril with blacksmith and 8 silos

Honorable mention woudl be my lair in Bristugo that has a grand hall in it. Straight in, can't miss it. Welcome to be used for RP or just hanging out. But .. not open for storing though

And they will stay open (unless I'm working on a project, haha).

I think there is a way to set some silos as public and others not. You set the plot permissions to allow all, then the individual storage to either allow all (public), locked (deny all except plot owner), or Guild Only. Only the public silos can be accessed by anyone, the rest can't. Crafting machine rooms permissions don't matter.

It would be nice if Friends list could be set on individual storage, but not too big of a deal.

It's only really helpful for those of us that have public plots.. we would be able to control a friends list on a few structures (silos probably) where people could ask for private access from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    "...they have not violated any game rules." is not exactly correct. Isn't there some rule in the TOC regarding harassment? Taking something that does not belong to you could be construed as harassing a player. If we go by the TOC these thieves can and should be made an example of, and or banned.
    What?? How do you get harrassment out of that? Unless ofcourse, you're just making up your own meaning to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I find storing resources in a public connie a more reliable choice because as long as you stay logged in, if someone tries to swipe your stuff the game will message you the person's name and the amount stolen from you. Then you can take whatever action you deem reasonable, be it contacting the individual themselves and persuading them to return the item or reporting them to their guild leader.
    How can they be stealing the resources if they are PURCHASING Them from the connie?!? hahahahhaa. *facepalm*

This thread is a load of fail that has been beaten to death 5 or 6 times.
    Leave stuff in the public silo, it can be taken. It happens sometimes. Get over it.

Back to the OP:
    Lovwyrm. I'm glad Istarias forces came to your rescue! Good luck in the future!!

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    I would agree if it was targeted at a certain person, but that's really hard to prove without screenshots and at least a couple verbal exchanges. Even then it wouldn't be airtight but maybe enough for a dev to give them a warning?

Hard to prove harassment in the form of physically taking your resources from a public silo. At least as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    What?? How do you get harrassment out of that? Unless ofcourse, you're just making up your own meaning to it.

How can they be stealing the resources if they are PURCHASING Them from the connie?!? hahahahhaa. *facepalm*

This thread is a load of fail that has been beaten to death 5 or 6 times.
    Leave stuff in the public silo, it can be taken. It happens sometimes. Get over it.

Back to the OP:
    Lovwyrm. I'm glad Istarias forces came to your rescue! Good luck in the future!!
    Harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. ...

Is it you that is taking these materials?

And... Not sure why you feel the need to rub someone's nose in their comments but hey...

Thread Information