Thread: Developer's Desk: Summer 2012 Edition

Default Developer's Desk: Summer 2012 Edition

Thank you for joining us to discuss the Developer's Desk: Summer 2012!

Default Re: Developer's Desk: Summer 2012 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon
    Adventurers (both biped and dragon) will be able to purchase abilities that allow them to “Inspire” specific emotions (such as Rage, Peace, Apathy, etc) in their enemies. These emotions will cause specific loot to drop when the monster has been defeated, and those items will be used by Crystalshapers in creating their crystals.
    So the only way to get these specific drops is the use of a specific crystal. What if a player does not want to use crystals? Are they not able to get the drop unless they use the specific crystal?

follow up: If the drop is needed for use to make the crystal then how does the crystal for that specific crystal ever get made in the first place? In other words, I need the drop to make the crystal that only the crystal can get to drop. catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    So the only way to get these specific drops is the use of a specific crystal. What if a player does not want to use crystals? Are they not able to get the drop unless they use the specific crystal?
    Through the use of specific abilities which will allow you to inspire certain emotions in the monsters you kill. If you don't have the ability and have not used it then you won't be able to get any of the drops.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

follow up: If the drop is needed for use to make the crystal then how does the crystal for that specific crystal ever get made in the first place? In other words, I need the drop to make the crystal that only the crystal can get to drop. catch 22
    Sorry Amon. I added this, apparently, after your response to my first inquiry.

Sorry Amon. I added this, apparently, after your response to my first inquiry.
    No problem, I answered your question. There is no catch-22. More details on Crystalshaper itself will be coming out soon.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quite a bit of work has been done on the Client. Some long-standing bugs have been fixed
    And a lot more NEW bugs have been created.

*Sighs*

I appreciate that work has gone into the client, but you cannot herald it as a major achievement when the new client is causing so many crashes and new issues.

I have lost track of how many bug reports it sends in on a daily basis.

Login #1 = crash
    Login #2 = crash
    Login #3 = 50% will log you in or crash
    Login #4 = maybe......

As for the Object fading, I can't use it and it is turned off as it causes the client to crash.

Adventurers (both biped and dragon) will be able to purchase abilities that allow them to “Inspire” specific emotions (such as Rage, Peace, Apathy, etc) in their enemies. These emotions will cause specific loot to drop when the monster has been defeated, and those items will be used by Crystalshapers in creating their crystals.
    Can the school be leveled by not having to use the above? If so then people will choose the easy option (and cheaper on coin option) and level it without using these 'emotions'.

---------

Don't have anything positive to say at the moment as I'm pretty annoyed, the whole first section of dev's desk is like a kick in the teeth.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Can the school be leveled by not having to use the above? If so then people will choose the easy option (and cheaper on coin option) and level it without using these 'emotions'.
    The Inspire abilities are a means by which one of the three resources used in making crystals are acquired. So, are you asking if you can make crystals without using the emotions? The answer is no.

More details are coming soon on Crystalshaper.

Coinciding with the release of the Crystalshaper school is the introduction of a new mini-dungeon called the “Fiery Rift”! This challenge will be populated with Tier 5 (level 80-90) monsters.
    Will this be crystalshaper only?

the introduction of a new enemy, the Host of Varran led by the Welger, who will be making a great impact on Western Aradoth and the residents of Tazoon
    Ooooh, nice to be bringing these in at last! Wowsers, all of the things to look forward to sound great - keep up the fantastic work! :-D

we’ll be introducing a storyline revolving around Nazderon and a Cult attempting to bring about his return... again!
    So, is he going to be about level 101 and chasing me to the gates of Tazoon again?

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I can't tell you excited I am about the upcoming crystalshaper school for dragons ! The tier 3/Tazoon revamp also sounds fantastic . In spite of any minor bugs/issues we run into in the game, we are incredibly lucky to have a development team so dedicated to expanding and improving the world of Istria ! Keep up the great work folks!!

Smile Re: Developer's Desk: Summer 2012 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The Inspire abilities are a means by which one of the three resources used in making crystals are acquired. So, are you asking if you can make crystals without using the emotions? The answer is no.

More details are coming soon on Crystalshaper.

You will still get regular loot, though, regardless of whether or not you use whichever emotion?

It would kind of suck if I needed to cast some silly little taunt to enrage the enemy before I kill it in order to get loot...

Just some basic outline questions, even if they aren't answerable just yet. If I don't post them I'll forget them when I want to ask them later.

- How long will it take to cast?

- How much range will it have?

- Will it be an AOE? (Which totally counteracts the pulling I guess...) If you're killing a group of mobs at once you don't want to have to pop off one of these every time you target something new.

Or even...Is it a buff? If you could buff yourself with the ability, instead of casting it on the mob, then you could change buffs before charging in, and it wouldn't matter if you were fighting a single mob or a group.

And one last question... How common will the loot drop be, provided you are using the right emotion? This crystalshaping school with be screaming murder if the resources are anything like tech comps (turgid purple weaver leg hair, anyone?)

It's enough to have to fight a monster to get your resources (gathering travertine will be a walk in the park in comparison XD) without having to fight loot tables on top of it.

While I'm happy to hear of new content for dragons, could we please get the broken dragon scales/claws in game soon? :P
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Quote Originally Posted by cauri_order View Post
    While I'm happy to hear of new content for dragons, could we please get the broken dragon scales/claws in game soon? :P
    We still haven't worked out design concerns with these that would make them feasible to add to the game at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Will this be crystalshaper only?
    No, it will be for anyone.

So, is he going to be about level 101 and chasing me to the gates of Tazoon again?
    Who said Nazderon himself would be back? We just said a Cult attempting to bring back his return. Besides, this is a Tier3 area so there won't be any Level 101 monsters.

Speaking for myself, and I am unanimous in this I'm really looking forward to these additions! More content = more interest = more fun!

Bugs? Meh....they're going to happen; deal with it. Are they frustrating? Sure, but, in the grand scheme of things, if I have to re-log a few times, so what? I could be living in Damascus, ya know?

Thanks, Devs, for keeping Istaria fresh and exciting...and, a bit quirky.
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

The release of the long-awaited and requested Crystalshaper school for Dragons! The new Crystalshaper school will specialize in crafting consumable crystals that will provide new buffs as well as a few “old” buffs, such as Primal Vengeance and Eminence.

--------

So umm.. PV? That's different alright. Are we talking the actual PV and eminence or a similar buff?

I'm not a fan of resurrecting things that only older players have in any format. The fact of the matter is: they were here back when that stuff was offered. It was taken away for whatever reason. Let's make their sacrifices and loyalty over the years count for something by either leaving the past alone or at least changing the name? I know it's just a buff instead of the tech, but it's really a matter of respect for the older folks who have these items as a matter of pride in their "age" in the game.

Can we at least call it something else?

Just my thoughts.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

How about adding mummies back to the "Egypt" style areas around tazoon? At least around the pyramids.

Maybe Nazerdon could become a permanent named boss that inhabits the area, and he can "res" up an army of mummies to harass the populace.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Who said Nazderon himself would be back? We just said a Cult attempting to bring back his return. Besides, this is a Tier3 area so there won't be any Level 101 monsters.
    No fun! Why should the newbies not get terrified like us oldies did? Its good for them to live a little in fear!

I agree with you Guaran. I'm hoping this means we'll see a return of mummies and bone golem type monsters back to the pyramid/desert areas of tazoon where they used to be. The area and those monsters suited each other well.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

well, and I think - it's preaty, have different bosses in different areas, not in eastern deadlands. it makes world more atnospheric
    jast place them far, from common newbies quest paths.

Thread Information