Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripped Wings

Default Re: Ripped Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    So if you only needed to edit 1/2 the number of files (30 something) to get both wings done, it makes sense to me.

I really like the idea of tattered wings but think that the exact same wounds on both wings detracts from it a bit. That said I think they look good(ish).
    It's not that Racktor is saving work by having the wings mirrored, it's that there is literally no way for them to not be mirrored. There exists a texture for only one wing in the files, which the game then applies to both wings on the model.

It is still an insane number of files to edit though. Probably why I never bothered with something like this. I tend to stick with fooling around with things that don't have to be applied to every dragon texture ever. Respect, Racktor. xD

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I didn't say that he/she cut corners. I only asked if the wings had to be mirror images. The response I got was "Yeah, they do. If they didn't I'd make the two sides different. The bottom and top can be different but that wouldn't make sense."

I asked a question because I didn't know the answer. Seems like there is a bit of defensiveness and I wont bother asking any more questions. Good luck with your mod.

I asked a question because I didn't know the answer. Seems like there is a bit of defensiveness and I wont bother asking any more questions. Good luck with your mod.
    Whoa, now, that's not what I was going for at all! I'm sorry if my post came off as defensive. Everything's cool! I just wanted to give a more technical explanation, that's all, as it sounded like there was possibly a misconception that it would be possible to make the wings different if one edited twice as many files.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Racktor, if you want a bit more of a challenge or want to give a better effect, you can extend the trailing edges of the membranes out a little bit and use that for more tattering. There is still a bit more model in the wings that is transparent so that you can make the membranes a little larger. To get an idea on how far you can go, draw a reference grid on the texture that extends out past the trailing edge. You will be able to see just where the model itself ends and use the grid as a way to get the most out of the texture.

I always did want to make the wings bigger. Especially near the body. But there was just not enough model and texture space to do it without a significant redesign. It would have been too much work.

That view of the dragon from above looks great, btw. The only real issue I have is with the large rip in the outboard membrane. Might want to angle that to be more into the wind. As it is right now, the unsupported bit on the trailing edge would probably flop over and fold. Wing membrane is a light and flexible material. Don't think it would be stiff enough to keep it's shape.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    It is still an insane number of files to edit though. Probably why I never bothered with something like this. I tend to stick with fooling around with things that don't have to be applied to every dragon texture ever. Respect, Racktor. xD
    XD Thank you, Raptress. It's mind numbing for sure..

Defensiveness? I'm not trying to be defensive at all, I was just trying to state that I'd mirror them if possible. Didn't mean to come off rude or anything. Apologies, Mimir, but thanks for the good luck. I also like to answer questions! I enjoy any feedback.

Also there are 36 files to edit; 16 decals and 20 textures themselves. It's a lot, but moreso repetitive than really hard.

Again, sorry for the seemingly cold message. I didn't mean to come off like that. I was in a rush when writing it as well; I had a large party to go to today and was stressed over getting ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I'm sorry if my post came off as defensive.
    He was referring to my post beforehand that even I read as being cold right now... not you~

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Racktor, if you want a bit more of a challenge or want to give a better effect, you can extend the trailing edges of the membranes out a little bit and use that for more tattering. There is still a bit more model in the wings that is transparent so that you can make the membranes a little larger. To get an idea on how far you can go, draw a reference grid on the texture that extends out past the trailing edge. You will be able to see just where the model itself ends and use the grid as a way to get the most out of the texture.
    Really? O.o I always thought that the texture was very limited to what was there.. I'll have to remember that and maybe try it sometime. Would be cool to see what could be created. ^^

I always did want to make the wings bigger. Especially near the body. But there was just not enough model and texture space to do it without a significant redesign. It would have been too much work.
    Why would it need a significant redesign? Wouldn't just extending the wing membrane back a little bit be rather easy, or would it pull on the model awkwardly or something? It's a shame that's too much work though.. would of been neat.

That view of the dragon from above looks great, btw. The only real issue I have is with the large rip in the outboard membrane. Might want to angle that to be more into the wind. As it is right now, the unsupported bit on the trailing edge would probably flop over and fold. Wing membrane is a light and flexible material. Don't think it would be stiff enough to keep it's shape.
    Thank you! ^^ But that's a good idea... I mainly made it like that due to the fact that when I was creating the texture, I was moreso thinking of the dragon in flight then simply with the wings spread - as in the wind would support it. I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks for the tips!

Edit: I'm looking at the wings ingame right now, even with the wind-lifting effect you're right: I didn't notice the angle that they were at. I'll have to fix that.
    Last edited by Racktor; August 11th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

I attached an image of the dragon glide animation in Maya. You can see the shape of the wing and how much model you have to work with. I'm sorry that I could not put the actual texture on it but that model was not set up with a texture properly mapped to it. I don't really have the time to remap the UV's on the wing right now plus I'm running it in a virtual machine on my laptop which does not really appreciate the amount of work it needs to do.

The redesign would be required because to truly do it correctly the wings would have to be separated into their own texture instead of being part of the head texture. Which would require remapping of the existing textures (including the teeth/claw/mouth mod) on the model. Plus, the wings are attached to holes that are cut into the body so the body would have to be reworked as well. The skeleton is not set up to have such a large wing membrane also. There is a "locator" that influences how they move and flutter in flight. You can see it as that black + near the wrist. When it rotates and moves, it acts as the center of movement so movement of the membrane that far away near the body would be overly exaggerated. It probably would not look natural. There are other considerations also. It is a lot of work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That is so cool! I bet that mod would look even more awesome with Blue's "scars" and/or "bloody wounds" sunscope mod.

Those sunscope mods were Blue's, right?

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    Wow! That is so cool! I bet that mod would look even more awesome with Blue's "scars" and/or "bloody wounds" sunscope mod.

Those sunscope mods were Blue's, right?
    Blue did put them together, but several people worked on the mod, including myself (I did the rainbow rave one, hehe, and I hope to do more some time later)

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    Blue did put them together, but several people worked on the mod, including myself (I did the rainbow rave one, hehe, and I hope to do more some time later)
    Oh. Sorry!

Which one is the rainbow rave? I don't think I've seen that one yet.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    Oh. Sorry!

Which one is the rainbow rave? I don't think I've seen that one yet.
    I think it's the mithril one, I can send you a link to my deviantart gallery where I have a screenshot uploaded too

deviantart link: here
    Last edited by meepsa; August 23rd, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Oh yeah! lol I did see that one! Nice

What files did blue edit to get that to work? O_o *curious*

Either way, I've yet to use the sunscope mod so I don't know how they'd look mixed. =P Would be interesting to see. Thanks for the compliment on the mod tho, flamestar. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    <3
    P.S.
    This is brilliant
    Can I use it as forum avatar/picture/whateveriscalled please?
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Haha go ahead!

Thank you
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Is there a way ripped wing mod and underwing mod can be combined?

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Unfortunately not considering I've lost the project files to the ripped wings mod. I'd essentially have to re-do it or re-convert the files or something I gave the source files for this mod for people to edit, so if anyone can reverse engineer the ripped wings mod, they're welcome to try.

So I finally got around to updating this mod. It's now compatible with the new marking types and it's hosted on the mod nexus.

Find it here! https://www.nexusmods.com/istaria/mods/17/

Thread Information