Thread: 100k miles. let the nickel, and diming begin. :P

Default 100k miles. let the nickel, and diming begin. :P

Got the worst luck with cars I tell yah, once they hit 100k miles, they start falling apart piece by piece. LOL
    First power steering pump fails, then cam sencor drive fails, now a wheel bearing. yeesh! what`s next?
    Car`s only been in the shop once a week for the last 3 weeks :P
    remind me to NEVER buy another American made NEW car. XD

Default Re: 100k miles. let the nickel, and diming begin. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    At 100,000 miles it's not going to matter very much who made the car. xD
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    I remember when cars would last 150-200k if they were taken care of.

Heck, I'm driving an '00 Bonneville right now that has 170k on it. It has had a few problems since I bought it, but nothing TOO costly/major.

I had a '93 Bonneville that was simply awesome until some impatient 19 year old girl decided to drive too fast in the winter and cause a wreck... not a freaking thing wrong with the car, 'cept for some minor transmission work was going to need done soon. It had... I forget, I think it was pushing 160k too.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post

I BEG TO DIFFER. my Toyota, 200,000 miles on the body, engine rebuild 90,000 miles ago. still runs like brand new. it starts up in 2 cranks every single time, never fails to start, even in 10 degree weather.

1988 Toyota Pickup, 4x4 22RE engine, 5 speed. HIGHLY RECCOMMEND ONE. they last FOR-EV-ER.

cars that don't last past 100,000 miles were junk to begin with.

Got the worst luck with cars I tell yah, once they hit 100k miles, they start falling apart piece by piece. LOL
    First power steering pump fails, then cam sencor drive fails, now a wheel bearing. yeesh! what`s next?
    Car`s only been in the shop once a week for the last 3 weeks :P
    buy a Toyota truck from the years 1980 - 1995. trust me. AND DON'T GET ONE WITH THE 3.0 LITER V6. THOSE ARE CRAP. you WANT the 22RE 4 cylinder engine. it's slow as crap, but it lasts longer then any engine out there.

4-cyl?

Meh, never going back to one of those. I like doing more than 40mph up a hill, lol. Especially in a _truck_.

That said, the GM 3.x liter 6-cyl engines are said to be pretty good, like I said, I'm currently running one at 176 and it too cranks up. Sometimes it takes 3 but it'll start like a charm in cold weather too.

And it certainly does more than 40mph uphill.

omg yeah my Taurus is a 3.0 liter V6 LOL no wonder!! it`s had ignition issure from the start. Recently did an entire ignition overhaul on it. replaced battery, alternator, starter, spark plugs, and wires, and coil pack. Even after all that it still takes like 4 to 6 cranks to start her when cold. :P
    Yeah deffinately going Toyota with my next car. Been trying to talk my uncle into selling his old Tecoma? it`s a pickup, think late 1990`s. So should be good. He baught an SUV cuz he needed the seating room
    Steering clear of anything GM. after I saw the factory workers getting drunk, and high on the job? O.o Totaly avoiding that company from now on XD
    Shoulda kept my old Taurus 2001. never had a problem with it. only parts I ever had to replace were tires, brakes, struts, and normal wear, and tear stuffs. that car had over 200k, and the engine ran like new XD

*Facepalm*

Any fool that thinks toyota is better then chevy, honda is better then toyota, VW is better then everything, Audis last forever, chevys are greater than dodge.

This is going to come across as rude, impolite, and just generally unwanted... But you all are fools, absolutely ignorant if ya really think ones better then the other..

No car is made by a single manufacturer and has been this way for well over 25 years. That honda you own? Guess what, its 10% nissan, 10% chevy, 10% honda, 10% toyota, 10% VW, 10% etc. etc. etc.

Any car out there is going to treat you as well as you treat it, and every car comes with defects. Have any of you ever worked at a manufactoring plant making any parts for a car? Sensors, ball bearings, door handles, brakes, pads, power steering line, the horn, nuts, bolts, screws, hoses, batterys, even the raw elements that go into making any of these parts...? Guess what? Every part on every car is pieced together using parts from all across the world. Toyota buys parts from chevy.. and chevy buys parts from toyota.

Toyotas, hondas, audis? Yeah all those foreign cars you all love the most and say they are the best? They are nearly 75% pure american made cars now with pure american parts in em. They are made and assembled here right in America.

Chevy? Ya might think "oh those are all outsourced and not even made in America anymore!" Wrong again. Made in America, cananda and mexico and shipped back to the states to be assembled. Again, thats the same with toyota, honda, subaru, kia, hyundai. The list goes on and on.

Treating ur car right; its going to treat you right.
    If ya think think one car is crap just because it came from America is on the extreme end of ignorance... is the car from the 80's or 90's Its 20-30 years old now! Is your car from 2000? its 12 years old now! If ya talk to any automotive professional they will tell you the average life expectancy of a car is 7-8 years with mileage not being the main factor as to why its life is over. Cars degrade over time and they don't need to be driven for it to happen.

Also most automotive professionals would agree that cars that were made in the 80's are pieces of junk, all of em.. they were all designed and made to be as cheap as possible, and to get them out of the manufactoring plants NOW! So I agree, those were all junk, waste of money, and no matter what ya did, they would treat you poorly. But lets forget about all of that cause the only good that came out of the 80's was the music

If anyone wants their car to last a bit longer, go to the shop a bit less, and use a bit less fuel?! Heres an easy list of things to keep in mind: Stop riding ur breaks.. Don't park in grass.. Don't leave ur car in the sun.. Don't drive it like ya stole it.. Dont' let ur kids use ur car, they will abuse it.. Dont' start ur car and immediatly put it in gear and go, cars need time to warm up even in the summer.. regular oil changes are well known but what is not done as well regularly: tranny, clutch, coolant, brake, and differential flushes are also important and helpful in extending the life of your vehicle. Wheel bearings tend to crap out when people take corners quickly, however, in time inclimate weather plays a toll on them as well, so they will need replacing anyways. Power steering, lol, they tend to let go when parking in lots.. Cutting your wheel all the way to the left or right is very hard on the pump.. If you often times park in lots and hear the whining and grinding sound while ur wheel is cut hard to the left or right, yeah, thats ur power steering pump crying for it to turn the wheel away from the lock a little bit Do alot of stop and go traffic? Cars hate that

Oh I could go on and on but we all know no ones reading anymore anyways.
    lol /rant over for me

Edit: Doh! Forgot the Good Luck to the original poster!
    Cars are expensive, and hard to take care of when the mechanics are generally taken the driver for a ride .
    Darned mechanics!
    Last edited by Finkledbody; August 13th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

As a german I trust german engineering and we build the best cars worldwide (VW[Audi], BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) - Hey and we have invented the automobile

As we have some fairly large car manufacturers in germany, we have a very strong going robotics and manufacturing machines industry, and some of the worlds most important car component deliverers around (Bosch to name the most well known).

Bosch, Mercedes, Porsche have their origin in the town where I live If you ever travel to Stuttgart don't miss the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz museums, they are well worth seeing.

Cars and components get produced world wide, and lots of components are delivered around the world. But there are differences in quality of the used parts depending on the component supplier the manufacturer uses. And all together gives the car. Germans pretend to buy japanese (like Toyata), french (like Peugeot), italian (like Fiat) or german cars, only very few american cars get sold here - because american cars have the standing of a low quality here.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

omg yeah my Taurus is a 3.0 liter V6 LOL no wonder!! it`s had ignition issure from the start. Recently did an entire ignition overhaul on it. replaced battery, alternator, starter, spark plugs, and wires, and coil pack. Even after all that it still takes like 4 to 6 cranks to start her when cold. :P
    Geez. What were you trying to fix? A surplus of money in your bank account?

For cars with distributorless ignition or SEFI, you can expect to hold the key in "start" for 2-3 seconds. There's a signal that the computer gets every one or two crankshaft rotations. The computer uses that signal to start the plug and injector firing sequence. They're certainly not like the older engines with carburetors, where you can stomp the gas once and tap the starter.

Shoulda kept my old Taurus 2001. never had a problem with it. only parts I ever had to replace were tires, brakes, struts, and normal wear, and tear stuffs. that car had over 200k, and the engine ran like new XD
    I had a 2nd gen Taurus and had much the same experience, except for two design flaws:
    1) The stock 1-2 shift servo (a piston) in the transmission was made of aluminum and known to crack, leaving drivers with 1st gear only. Mine cracked and was replaced with a nice steel one for about $1200.

2) The ignition module was mounted on the distributor -- a bad place for electronics. These modules are known to frequently go bad on a regular basis. After observing some misfires and erratic timing, I replaced mine and remote-mounted it in a cooler place. If you have a used 2nd gen Taurus and see an ignition module bolted to a big heatsink by the battery, that might have been mine.

Those issues aside, the engine itself (Vulcan) was a pretty solid design, albeit somewhat anemic compared to modern V6 engines. If you happen to come across an older Ford with one of these, and the engine doesn't show signs of poor maintenance, the engine will probably run as long as you want it to. (The rest of the drivetrain is another matter >.>.)

Keep in mind that unless you can get a reliable replacement for really cheap, it's often more cost effective to keep fixing an older car, even if you are dropping a few hundred on repairs each year.

Should you start looking around, when choosing a replacement, remember that everyone has their good runs and bad ones. Just do your homework to find out what specific models and years to avoid, then out of your handful of real candidates, pick the one with the lowest maintenance and repair cost. That super-reliable car that requires oil made from distilled unicorn tears? Yeah. Forget about it.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I must protest this seeming bias, Mr. Finkledbody!!

My Dad bought an '87 Tempo, new off the lot, and then gave it to me to drive from Indiana to Arizona. he put 87,000 miles on it and I put about another 60,000 miles.

Regular, regular, REGULAR maintenance.

You beat on a car like you may beat on a mule, one day it will absolutely refuse to get back up.

My '06 Mustang is the FIRST new car I have ever owned.

I have only put 18,800 miles on it. To work and back, and yes, Church on most Sundays. :P

Again.... MAINTENANCE!!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Not all 80`s cars are bad, my sister had an `87 Grand Marque. that car`s still running, and driving around. with half a million miles on her 550,000 when she sold it. XD
    Only really major repair was a tranny replacement at 400k. Not bad considering the age. Yeah some rust, and body work were done, but all in all that car`s immortal I tell yah XD Heck! that car ran better then mine. LOL
    Course it was a retired police interceptor too
    I`m thinking who ever drove my car before me (was a fleet car) beat it to hell, and back. I`m one of those cautious drivers, only guilty thing I`ve ever done was speed about 5 miles over the limit XD but I usualy only brake if I need to, coasting down to speed is my main habit, and slowing down to about 5mph when turning sharp corner/roads. XD
    Can`t help parking in a lot 90% of the time I`m at work D: So that`s beyond my control. When home, it`s locked in the garage. and weekly washes are also a major habit XD bi monthly waxes as well less I use the 6 month protection. gotta keep that pretty blue shiny, and glossy.

The only thing I've seen that really effects a vehicle's long term performance is its driver. Granted- most of that experience comes from semis, not cars or little bitty pickup trucks that wanna be a semi. =P But I've seen some of those trucks last nearly forever- regardless of where they were made- while ones of the same make and model break down nearly every time you look at them. Only difference I've been able to make out: who was driving it and for how long. Trucks that frequently changed drivers broke down more often- trucks that stayed in the hands of the same driver lasted a good bit longer. And then there were the 'immortal' trucks who were well tended and taken care of by their driver and company and hardly ever had a break down, blew out a tire, or what have you. And those machines are a good bit touchier than a lot of people think.

So, I'm willing to give cars, pickups and so on the benefit of the doubt. Until a factory retailer issues a recall, I generally assume a vehicle's problems stem from the person behind the wheel- or what they're doing with it when not behind said wheel. I know one twit who parked over an fire ant nest and then couldn't figure out why her car was infested with the vicious little things...let alone what they were doing to all the wiring and so forth. Doesn't take insects long to do long lasting, hard to repair damage. And that's just one among other little issues that can turn up through bad parking habits. All the potential threats and damage don't happen just while you're driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    I BEG TO DIFFER. my Toyota, 200,000 miles on the body, engine rebuild 90,000 miles ago. still runs like brand new. it starts up in 2 cranks every single time, never fails to start, even in 10 degree weather.
    Alright, and I had a '92 Blazer that was pushing 260k miles with no engine rebuild before I sold it. What's your point? What I originally said still stands, honestly even more-so with your example. Cars of all types push past 100k miles, it's far more about people who take care of their vehicles at that point than it is about who made the vehicle.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

The main thing about this thread that I really agree with, is the part about Maintenance and proper driving/parking habits.

Some people can't help living in areas with regular inclement weather, but you CAN help your driving habits.

Driving over the speed limit regularly is one of those things that never does a car good. There's a reason why the "55MPH" area on a speedometer has a different-colored line and it has little to do with Speed Limits (many states have speed limits of 65-70 MPH).

The reason is, is that studies have shown that a car at an even cruise will be the most efficient between 50 and 60 MPH -- go slower than that and you're wasting gas. Go faster than that and you're spending too much gas to keep your speed up, AND, putting unnecessary wear on your transmission. Every automatic car I've ever driven has a little "sweet spot" where it kicks into an even cruising gear right around 55MPH on the flat. Try to go to 60-65 and it has to shift into a higher gear and add 500-1k RPM. Drop below 55 and it shifts into a lower gear and adds 500-1k RPM.

Also, the people who like to turn hard, as mentioned above. That's very hard on tires, and also affects the steering system. Also, hard turns while parking was mentioned and I agree with that too -- that groaning sound from your steering pump is it trying to tell you its in pain to let up on the steering a little.

And then there are people who squeal wheel. Flooring your car from <10MPH is the single worst thing you can do to your car. All of that torque strains the transmission and the drive system, not to mention it causes an RPM spike (which puts extra wear on your engine). The squealing also wears your tires down, too.

And then there's drifting. Nothing to ruin your break pads, rotors, and tires quite like throwing the car into a fishtailing while mashing on the parking brake, not to mention putting strain against the whole frame of the car as weight shifts around wildly inside the car, and not to mention you get the same torque strain when you suddenly floor the accelerator pedal after abruptly slamming on the brakes.

Yeah, I couldn't possibly see why some peoples' cars don't last to 100k miles....

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    *Facepalm*

Any fool that thinks toyota is better then chevy, honda is better then toyota, VW is better then everything, Audis last forever, chevys are greater than dodge.

This is going to come across as rude, impolite, and just generally unwanted... But you all are fools, absolutely ignorant if ya really think ones better then the other..

No car is made by a single manufacturer and has been this way for well over 25 years. That honda you own? Guess what, its 10% nissan, 10% chevy, 10% honda, 10% toyota, 10% VW, 10% etc. etc. etc.

i beg to differ. my Toyota was manufactured during July 1988, with NipponDenso parts, which is a Japanese OEM parts supplier. i decoded my VIN and my truck was manufactured completley in Japan, and made for the United States market. NOWADAYS, it might be true that they share parts, but back then it was less so, at least for Toyota. matter of fact, i still have the original airbox which has the Nippondenso logo, and my Starter lasted for 23 years... had Nippondenso, Japanese product. defenitely NOT in a Chevy/ford/dodge/GMC/Domestic brand.

Any car out there is going to treat you as well as you treat it, and every car comes with defects. Have any of you ever worked at a manufactoring plant making any parts for a car? Sensors, ball bearings, door handles, brakes, pads, power steering line, the horn, nuts, bolts, screws, hoses, batterys, even the raw elements that go into making any of these parts...? Guess what? Every part on every car is pieced together using parts from all across the world. Toyota buys parts from chevy.. and chevy buys parts from toyota.

the first part is VERY true... a car lasts only as long as you treat it well. on-time maintenence, lube, and tune ups. Defects are also true, nobody's perfect. also, do you really think you would find Chevy parts in a toyota? Mazda parts in a Dodge/Jeep? Jaguar parts in a Buick? nuts, bolts, screws... that's universal, (lets ignore Metric/standard for the moment), but for major parts like a transmission, Axle, CV Joints, starters, Heads, ECT are going to almost be brand specific... unless you get into the whole Mazda/Ford thing...

Toyotas, hondas, audis? Yeah all those foreign cars you all love the most and say they are the best? They are nearly 75% pure american made cars now with pure american parts in em. They are made and assembled here right in America.

my dad owned a 1982 Ford Econoline that lasted forever, until the body rusted off the frame. the engine NEVER STOPPED. the Ford 300 straight 6 is a bulletproof motor. i would put one in my Toyota if i had the chance. same for the Dodge 225 Slant 6. as well as the Ford 302 / Dodge 318/360 motor. the Chevy 350 engine is famous for a reason. also, Japanese and British cars USED to be manufactured in their home country, My truck was... but nowadays, they are making factories where the overhead cost is the lowest to stay in business, regardless of country.

Chevy? Ya might think "oh those are all outsourced and not even made in America anymore!" Wrong again. Made in America, cananda and mexico and shipped back to the states to be assembled. Again, thats the same with toyota, honda, subaru, kia, hyundai. The list goes on and on.

LOL yes, america is more then the United States...your right. as i said before, car manufacturers are just going where the overhead is the lowest... China/southeast Asia/Mexico, that kind of thing.

Treating ur car right; its going to treat you right.
    If ya think think one car is crap just because it came from America is on the extreme end of ignorance... is the car from the 80's or 90's Its 20-30 years old now! Is your car from 2000? its 12 years old now! If ya talk to any automotive professional they will tell you the average life expectancy of a car is 7-8 years with mileage not being the main factor as to why its life is over. Cars degrade over time and they don't need to be driven for it to happen.

considering the average person, doing the occasional maintenence on their car, i do see 8 years. but some vehicles are made to last a long time.... Plymouth Dusters with the 225 slant 6 are still on the road. i still see old early '70's Novas, unrestored. my truck is 23 years old. my Dad's van would 30 years old now. it was about 25 when it was junked because of rust. average is exactly that, average based on all statistics. but yes, i would expect 8 years out of say.. a Buick Reagle made in 2001.

Also most automotive professionals would agree that cars that were made in the 80's are pieces of junk, all of em.. they were all designed and made to be as cheap as possible, and to get them out of the manufactoring plants NOW! So I agree, those were all junk, waste of money, and no matter what ya did, they would treat you poorly. But lets forget about all of that cause the only good that came out of the 80's was the music

wrong. Toyota 4Runners/Pickups and Nissan pickups are still on the road for a reason from that decade. my source? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War i know it's Wikipedia... ugh, but still. the Toyota War. but... the Dodge K cars are INCREDIBLY CRAP. OH GOD. like the old Dodge Diplomat, Chevy Chevette, Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon/Ford Escort, and some Jaguars were crap from that decade. but not all the cars were crap.

If anyone wants their car to last a bit longer, go to the shop a bit less, and use a bit less fuel?! Heres an easy list of things to keep in mind: Stop riding ur breaks.. Don't park in grass.. Don't leave ur car in the sun.. Don't drive it like ya stole it.. Dont' let ur kids use ur car, they will abuse it.. Dont' start ur car and immediatly put it in gear and go, cars need time to warm up even in the summer.. regular oil changes are well known but what is not done as well regularly: tranny, clutch, coolant, brake, and differential flushes are also important and helpful in extending the life of your vehicle. Wheel bearings tend to crap out when people take corners quickly, however, in time inclimate weather plays a toll on them as well, so they will need replacing anyways. Power steering, lol, they tend to let go when parking in lots.. Cutting your wheel all the way to the left or right is very hard on the pump.. If you often times park in lots and hear the whining and grinding sound while ur wheel is cut hard to the left or right, yeah, thats ur power steering pump crying for it to turn the wheel away from the lock a little bit Do alot of stop and go traffic? Cars hate that

i agree here, not many people do tranny/radiator flushes. you should only change your brake fluid when doing major brake work because of when you need to bleed your brakes. it's a closed system. changing your tranny/Coolant does help, i do agree. also, lube your vehicle where you have grease points. that helps too.

Oh I could go on and on but we all know no ones reading anymore anyways.
    lol /rant over for me

I AM!

Edit: Doh! Forgot the Good Luck to the original poster!
    Cars are expensive, and hard to take care of when the mechanics are generally taken the driver for a ride .

that's why you fix your own stuff, like me!
    Darned mechanics!

i should have explained myself, i apologize. the 3 liter in your taurus is a Vulcan V6 made by Ford. the 3 liter i am talking about is the Toyota 3VZ-E Engine, not the same one. also, that isn't an engine overhaul, that would be called a Tuneup. an overhaul is when you remove the engine from the engine bay, and take it apart to replace the bearings, seals, and internal parts that would have been worn out, also called an Engine rebuild.
    Yeah deffinately going Toyota with my next car. Been trying to talk my uncle into selling his old Tecoma? it`s a pickup, think late 1990`s. So should be good. He baught an SUV cuz he needed the seating room

Tacomas from that era, late 90's, have notorious Frame rust. before you get one, check the frame and make sure it's allright. if it has holes through it because of rust, it won't last you very long. surface rust is OK. just make sure it's not deep, you can do this by poking at it. if it gives, adn flakes away an you can see through it, then it's severe rust. bad thing.
    Steering clear of anything GM. after I saw the factory workers getting drunk, and high on the job? O.o Totaly avoiding that company from now on XD

i had two GM cars. one got stolen, the other, i could not fix and had to junk it.
    then get another one! i see them on craigslist all the time!
    (bla bla bla too short not enough characters what the hell lol)
    Last edited by Romirez; August 18th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Thread Information