Thread: Running on an ultrabook...

Default Running on an ultrabook...

Hello;

Just out of interest... has anyone any experience running Istaria on an ultrabook? Anything with the Intel 3000 or 4000 graphics chipset for instance.

Basically I'm going to loose the laptop in favour of something that is actually portable, after my Dell's screen was damaged on a recent holiday. (apparently dell chasis are made of tissue paper...)

An appropriate small laptop/ultrabook would comfortably fit in a rucksack, but I would like it to be able to run at least some things... Istaria included!

Many thanks;

Graeme aka Rakku

Default Re: Running on an ultrabook...

iirc, on an Alienware M11x R3 with an i5-2537m and running on Intel 3000 GFX (which should be the same as any random Sandy Bridge Ultrabook) it runs decent enough at around 20-30 fps
    On an Ivy Bridge Ultrabook it runs way better.

Edit: on my i5-3210m (Intel 4000 gfx) it runs with 30-50 fps

Edit2: In the lagfest named Tazoon, i get 17-30fps on the above Ivy Bridge.
    Last edited by Northwind; August 20th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Having had a play with an Acer S3-951 ultrabook today I can safely say that bad boy will eat Istaria whole and then ask for more. Then again, it's the I5 based one. Specifically an Intel Core i5-2467M @ 1.6GHz and has 4gb of ram and a 320 GB SSD.

We ran some benchmarks on it for giggles and then fired up a quake 3 timedemo of Fatal1ty kicking some arse. tripple digit FPS with the detail as high as it goes.

I reckon You're safe enough :P
    GameGrin.com News monkey
    Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me....

I'm sorry I never replied to this... I ended up in Canada on holiday, and then buried in work afterwards.

I ended up with a 15' mac book pro. Thin, fast and solid. Bootcamped to run games. Istaria is interesting in the silly resolution the screen can do. I still have the previous Dell, which was fixed under warranty, and I'll sell it if anyones interested?

Very happy with the mac, but the nvidia chip gets mighty hot under load! :|

Rakku

Thread Information