Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attn New players

Default Re: Attn New players

I could cry at what you wrote, Mensar............because I finally feel vindicated, for all the times Ive tried to inform people about powerlvlling, for the times Ive sat in New Tris trying so so hard to stop certain players from filling the air with the F word, calling players the C word, generally being as foul mouthed as they possibly can.............knowing that the Devs will just give the stock response of "Ignore them, DONT RETALIATE" .......sorry Devs, but that is actually against the LAW in the UK now, and basically they are being told that hey, it's fine to go ahead with the foul language and abuse and bullying, because nothing will be done. Myself and others have been told (usually in foul language) to butt out and leave them alone, that the game "allows it", that the "Devs dont care, lol", whenever anyone tried to inform them about how powerlvlling means clueless adults and even more clueless ancients.

I truly adore this game, have played for many years now - but to be perfectly honest, the "new" playerbase is destroying my enjoyment of the game now, the ones who believe bullying and bad language is the way to go, that their way is the only correct way, that "lvlling is boring, of course I am going to powerlvl to endgame!" (Umm, WHAT endgame, no raiding here??? :/ So then of course, they quit at lvl 100 when they discover this) ), The ones endlessly moaning and whining that "craft SUCKS, someone do it for meh!" (umm, its a game reknown for it's crafting??? o.0 ) And even being told NOT to be in New Tris, as "it's only for lvl 5 players!".....yeah fine ok, but this behaviour is also now to be found in Kion, Dralk, Dalimond, Bristugo..............etc etc.

I see by the EULA there that this sort of behaviour IS in fact, against the game rules, so why arent the rules enforced? Why are these people ruining the game for us, and for the few decent ones that do run up the slope from the starter isles into NT and see whats going on, and promptly quit? Being told to "ignore them" is NOT a solution - yes it stops one person seeing it all, but it doesnt stop everyone else from being subjected to it!.

Please Devs, please don't be apathetic about this, please don't let this game degenerate to the extent that the only people playing it are the free accounts and 14 day trials, and the few die-hards who dont turn chat on

Sorry for the wall of text, but the bad language issue and powerlvlling are inextricably linked, as it is usually (always) the ones with the powerlvlling mentality who seem to use the worst language. And not all of use are "sheeple" who will just mindlessly hit the ignore button and just carry on watching the community disappear down the toilet...........
    Last edited by Tamianth; August 28th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

I would write a wall of text, but Tamianth has pretty much summed up everything I'd say :/

I agree with many previous posters' points before my post. However, be very careful what you ask for here. If the devs pursued the EULA in force like that, there is little room to pick and choose what is cracked down on.

The EULA also says modding is against the rules. It states that certain items such as a triple tech'd PV scales and some of the discontinued items and rares could be against the rules. Certain ways that anchors and other powerful mobs are currently solo'd would break the EULA. Some rp would even break the rules of it.

I don't think a single one of us out there hasn't broken or bent that thing at one time or another. So I refuse to point the finger and demand a crack down based on the EULA just because I can't or won't put some player on /ignore or just refuse to help them do something I don't agree with. No one is twisting my arm to help them or to interact with them if they are doing something I don't like or don't agree with.

These new players who pl'd their way up to the top from day one are also the first ones to quit and the least likely to stay when its 'boring.' It is thinking ahead about those of us who have stuck around long term and what we are going to be left with that is important when seeking a solution. It wouldn't be the first time that something which had been pointed out or asked for was granted, and in the long run the complaints were greater and the game was less for it.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I agree with many previous posters' points before my post. However, be very careful what you ask for here. If the devs pursued the EULA in force like that, there is little room to pick and choose what is cracked down on.

The EULA also says modding is against the rules. It states that certain items such as a triple tech'd PV scales and some of the discontinued items and rares could be against the rules. Certain ways that anchors and other powerful mobs are currently solo'd would break the EULA. Some rp would even break the rules of it.

I don't think a single one of us out there hasn't broken or bent that thing at one time or another. So I refuse to point the finger and demand a crack down based on the EULA just because I can't or won't put some player on /ignore or just refuse to help them do something I don't agree with. No one is twisting my arm to help them or to interact with them if they are doing something I don't like or don't agree with.

These new players who pl'd their way up to the top from day one are also the first ones to quit and the least likely to stay when its 'boring.' It is thinking ahead about those of us who have stuck around long term and what we are going to be left with that is important when seeking a solution. It wouldn't be the first time that something which had been pointed out or asked for was granted, and in the long run the complaints were greater and the game was less for it.
    The voice of reason! Two thumbs up and a plus one.

I think the only things being "asked for" here, is for disruptive, foul mouthed bullies to be dealt with, and for people to be allowed to play without being harassed. Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamianth View Post
    I think the only things being "asked for" here, is for disruptive, foul mouthed bullies to be dealt with, and for people to be allowed to play without being harassed. Is that too much to ask?
    Did you perhaps post this in the wrong thread? I thought it was about power leveling and advancing in game without actually playing it...? I'm sooo confused. I did re-read the thread three times and can't find any reference to "foul mouthed bullies" and the part of being able to play without being harassed? Go invis, block players who are giving you a hard time. But again this is off topic.

Mimir, it's only partially off topic, those new players being powerleveled are often rude and disrespectfull (that's what ya get for being spoiled), thus ruining the game even more.

I agree that is often the case but, it is an inference and side steps the object of the original topic.

Personally I don't care how anyone plays the game be it power leveling or begging for help, or asking for craft items for their advancement in the game...AS LONG AS they leave me out of it. I can and have said NO. I can and have exited out of chat channels. I can and have pointed those who are asking for a handout the direction that will help them more in the long run than me giving them what they ask for.

There are many ways you can ignore players that bring your blood to a boil, including exiting the game for a bit to cool off.

Now if I could only apply that to my forum answers I would be a star player

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    I agree that is often the case but, it is an inference and side steps the object of the original topic.

Personally I don't care how anyone plays the game be it power leveling or begging for help, or asking for craft items for their advancement in the game...AS LONG AS they leave me out of it. I can and have said NO. I can and have exited out of chat channels. I can and have pointed those who are asking for a handout the direction that will help them more in the long run than me giving them what they ask for.

There are many ways you can ignore players that bring your blood to a boil, including exiting the game for a bit to cool off.
    Amen to that. Its the same thing I do. I find there are very little problems and stress with new players by just saying no and using the ignore if its needed. Enforcement of these things just causes more trouble in the long run. Those who want to be pl'd come and go quickly but those of us who love this game are left with the aftermath of what we do to try and control a situation we don't like, and often find that outcome not to our liking.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

12. Engage in “disruptive behavior” that is deemed to include, but is not limited to, conduct that purposely interferes with the normal flow of game-play or interferes with other players’ use and enjoyment of the Game. Such behaviors include, but are not limited to, "camping" a certain spawn or spawn area for lengthy periods of time, kill stealing, loot stealing, and/or resource stealing.
    I don't see where most of PL/leeching goes against this rule.

"Camping for length periods of time"... what if they only do it for 15/30/60 min at a time?

Kill/loot stealing? not really, if nobody else is there trying to kill the stuff, then it doesn't matter.

conduct that purposely interferes with the normal flow of game-play or interferes with other players’ use and enjoyment of the Game.
    Is the only sentence in the EULA that even goes anywhere close to PLing or Leeching, but yet it is so vague than it doesn't really cover it.

What about PLing of alts, when you already know how to play the game? Is that "bad"? What about people PLing their 2nd, 3rd, etc dragon? Or 2nd/3rd biped craft?

Edit: I am not advocating PLing noobs/newbies... however, some experienced players might want to take some of the grindiness out of the game and/or bump their characters up past the 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 digging phase that you start out with.

Power leveling is easy, most just don't want to do it themselves.

I wouldn't say powerleveling on your own is easy, but I will say that leveling already is extremely easy, that is, if you know how to play the game.

and I don't mean by going up and fighting mobs way above your level, just doing quests and following the general leveling areas will have you up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    I wouldn't say powerleveling on your own is easy, but I will say that leveling already is extremely easy, that is, if you know how to play the game.

and I don't mean by going up and fighting mobs way above your level, just doing quests and following the general leveling areas will have you up in no time.
    I dunno, last time I tried it, it seemed painfully slow for a melee-based biped. Either there weren't enough heals (and kills were slower than I'd like, mobs of my level that drop valid trophies), or when I switched to something like cleric for more heals, the kills were even slower.

Hence, I started using my dragon, dual-boxing, to bump her level up a bit. At least it doesn't take me 30+ seconds to kill one mob anymore, but the xp gain is a little slower (I was using "safe" mobs).

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I don't see where most of PL/leeching goes against this rule.

"Camping for length periods of time"... what if they only do it for 15/30/60 min at a time?

Kill/loot stealing? not really, if nobody else is there trying to kill the stuff, then it doesn't matter.

Is the only sentence in the EULA that even goes anywhere close to PLing or Leeching, but yet it is so vague than it doesn't really cover it.

What about PLing of alts, when you already know how to play the game? Is that "bad"? What about people PLing their 2nd, 3rd, etc dragon? Or 2nd/3rd biped craft?

Edit: I am not advocating PLing noobs/newbies... however, some experienced players might want to take some of the grindiness out of the game and/or bump their characters up past the 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 digging phase that you start out with.
    We can say anything, from a perspective, doesn't break the rules just as much as we can say the opposite. I think the point was made that it impacts the game and the ability to have fun for many people. Simply spreading the word sometimes is all that is required.

And one can assume that if you are PLing your own characters that you have a grasp of the game mechanics and aren't negatively impacting other people by doing so.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Thumbs UP for the posts made by Arzel Rashemi (post #43) and Mimir (post #48).

I'm pretty sure most of the posters here were bending the rules more or less at a certain point. Mining distance anyone? There were some pretty vocal ones when it was fixed iirc.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

I think we are focusing on things that negatively impact other people's experience in the game

Being one of the more vocal supporters of the distance gathering, I can't complain much about that. I wish they'd bring it back, haha.

Point being: nobody is throwing stones, but raising awareness is key. Some of my experiences with PLed folks left me sitting there literally asking myself (out loud) are you kidding me?

Hi everyone, beside the main topic which was players that cry to get leveled fast. I ask you experienced players to share your knowlege with others espacially new players.
    ... but I will say that leveling already is extremely easy, that is, if you know how to play the game.
    Please make a post or even a new thread with some of you advices.
    I know there are some treads allready about basic stuff, but most of them are outdated.

Well, mining distance was detrimental indeed, but mostly because some knew while others didn't.
    I remember on several occasions how a ML was vanishing under my feet and i was how the heck? only 300 resources in a ML. Detrimental, right? Then i found out about it and 2 weeks later it was fixed. Detrimental again i'd say, pff

Powerleveling on the other side is not that detrimental. They get bored and quit fast - not having the slight idea on how to play.
    Only the "Are you kidding me???" part is annoying more or less and it happened to me too on several interactions with the PL-ed ones. But one learns to apply the tag "Bleah, PL-ed!" and get over it fast.

Edit: So I say: let them be pl'ed. I could not care less. And if I get asked "please PL me" I say "No, thanks" and that's all.
    Last edited by Northwind; September 4th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Lantis View Post
    Hi everyone, beside the main topic which was players that cry to get leveled fast. I ask you experienced players to share your knowlege with others espacially new players.

I know there are some treads allready about basic stuff, but most of them are outdated.
    Knowledge about what? Not power leveling since that would obviously undermine the point of this entire thread

It depends which server board I think is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantis View Post

I made a topic here for dragon characters in reply to you. I don't know which race you play though. I'm clueless on bipeds.

Thread Information