Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attn New players

Default Re: Attn New players

Powerlvlling of ANY sort (crafting included) is just.....yick. It leads to chars like the one I saw today - lvl 48 adult dragon, asking where to find Dragon's Gift quest..........looks like they didnt have ANY dragon abilities at all Ive also seen hatchlings asking where Chiconis is as they "have to start RoP" - when questioned, they too hadnt got a SINGLE ability, yet they were starting RoP. And don't say, maybe they should of been given this advice when they started - I KNOW people give out just this sort of help and advice to new players, but obviously it either doesnt sink in or it's just ignored so they can go be powerlvlled instead.

*Sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by Tamianth View Post
    Powerlvlling of ANY sort (crafting included) is just.....yick. It leads to chars like the one I saw today - lvl 48 adult dragon, asking where to find Dragon's Gift quest..........looks like they didnt have ANY dragon abilities at all Ive also seen hatchlings asking where Chiconis is as they "have to start RoP" - when questioned, they too hadnt got a SINGLE ability, yet they were starting RoP. And don't say, maybe they should of been given this advice when they started - I KNOW people give out just this sort of help and advice to new players, but obviously it either doesnt sink in or it's just ignored so they can go be powerlvlled instead.

*Sighs*
    There could be a solution to that, make the same requirements for RoP as ARoP. all ability quests must be completed up to the minimum level to start RoP.
    as of now the minimum is 30 so say up to that level ability quests should be completed before one can start the rites quest line

It depends which server board I think is which.

@Reagle: Best. Idea. Ever. That & the 30 day limit = actual -effort- for the RoP!

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    @Reagle: Best. Idea. Ever. That & the 30 day limit = actual -effort- for the RoP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    There could be a solution to that, make the same requirements for RoP as ARoP. all ability quests must be completed up to the minimum level to start RoP.
    as of now the minimum is 30 so say up to that level ability quests should be completed before one can start the rites quest line
    You two have had the best Idea of the month Looks at vela and amon can we get a comment if you would make this happen ?
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I support that for sure. all ability quests required for at least til level 30.

my vote for that too!
    And a minimum craft level pls!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Full support for the ability quest requierment here too!

oh! now only left make ALL ROP and AROP crafble components attuned, to make absolutely imbosible do ROP by another's hands
    well, actualy I've agree, that ROP/AROP deep personal quest, not allowed to give it to another's hand- question - what can be shared, and what must be maked by yourself...
    and dab, that at present we have necessery to use represions, to those, who caled powerlvler. as I anderstand, this is plague of newest days? not exist from the begining? or?..

@Krinharth

Powerleveling has been possible since the begining, however, it's younger children that join nowadays that only want to level up as fast as possible (and gain their wings ASAP), and thus bug other players to power level them.

@meepsa
    I mean only no one (or few) use this posibilyty in past, that only now devs start repression, like more then 30 days old, end ect
    or this conversations exist in every time

It may be lost on any newer players reading this, but, no one is saying that a hatchling can't or won't get help and assistance...to the contrary, if you show yourself to be someone who's willing to work hard and *earn* your levels, almost everyone in-game will be more than happy to provide answers, advice, suggestions, or actual assistance before and during your RoP. There are parts of it that almost demand active participation by older, more experienced dragons, and, most of us are more than willing to fight alongside a hatchling.

Having said that, I like the idea of a minimum quest-level for RoP, similar to the ARoP. When leveling Morinare for RoP, I used the final, level 50 hatchie scale as my "minimum" requirement. Given the lore, it just felt "right" that I would need to earn the right to start the Rite...and, that seemed the best way, for me.
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Sadly, adding additional quest requirements won't stop power-leveling. The desire by some will still be there and others will still offer it. At this time we don't feel making the change to the Rite of Passage would be worthwhile.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

actualy I do not like idea make start lvl for ROP 50
    ROP is a very long adventure; and I like how I past it, start with 30 and finish with more then 60, when I've get new tasks, that was too hard to curent lvl, and when I was forced to search new ways to complete it (rise my adventure on non-ROP quests, rise craft to get proper armor, an ect.) and fact, I've get alot of lore info during my ROP (that came from non-ROP) looks very organyc.

so I have no idea, how satisfy all requairment at once : interest of newers, and save older from anoing demanding

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Sadly, adding additional quest requirements won't stop power-leveling. The desire by some will still be there and others will still offer it. At this time we don't feel making the change to the Rite of Passage would be worthwhile.
    I believe we know the fact that adding quest requirements won't stop power-leveling completely - or rather, at all.. but it still would force newer players to put some effort in themselves by getting quests done and at least have some abilities before being babied through the rites. But if you still think it won't be worthwhile, then that's alright. :c

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Sadly, adding additional quest requirements won't stop power-leveling. The desire by some will still be there and others will still offer it.

I think Amon hits the nail on the head. No matter what requirements/restrictions you put on it, there will always be people who want to PL and others who offer it.

I believe that as community we might possibly do more "frowning" on those that offer it. New players will always ask for help, the question is what do you give?

"don`t give a hand, when they ask a finger"......
    Last edited by Gimthen; August 27th, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Gimthen View Post
    "don`t give a hand, when they ask a finger"......
    And don't give the finger when they ask for a hand

I generally explain what I'm willing to do, and ask them to supply effort commensurate with my expectations as part of the deal. Generally speaking, those after something time consuming and not willing to wait the several weeks to months I tell them it will take me to schedule time to get to it, will either put in the effort required or seek someone else to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sslarn View Post
    And where is it that you got that fact from? Because I have to tell you, I have went through the EULA, Rules of Conduct, Game policies, and I see no such rule of that.

So please do share where you have found your facts you are claiming.
    Uhh.. from the EULA?

Pretty sure it violates rules: 5 and 12.. and personally I believe 7 is a definite violation (pasted the EULA at the bottom of this post for your reading pleasure).

Now to lighten the mood.. in a way..

You know someone is powerleveled WHEN:
    They don't know what a compass is
    They don't know what "south" is
    They don't know where to hunt other than areas that are typically inhabited with camping powerlevelers... which is incredibly dangerous for lvl 100 dragons that still have T1/2 scales on from their ROP.
    They don't know how to use abilities
    They don't know what a hotkey bar is... or can't find it because it's vertical in the corner of the screen and they've never had to use an ability
    They ask people where a town is because every time they die and recall you do a /who and see they are on Skalkaar island

Unfortunately those aren't just funny examples. I've actually seen those first-hand.

----------------
    PROHIBITED CONDUCT
    PLAYERS MAY NOT:
    1. Give false information or intentionally hide necessary information when registering an Account.
    2. Attempt to upload or transmit on the System any copyrighted content for which you do not own all the appropriate rights, without the express prior written permission of the author and/or copyright holder.
    3. Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmission to or from the servers running the System or access any System software or hardware. This will result in immediate termination of the player’s account and may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability.
    4. Modify any part of any customer account, any server or client file of the System or Game, or our Web site(s) without our specific authorization. This includes, but is not limited to, any attempt to disassemble, change or interfere with the Game’s executable code, client code, databases and/or servers. Any attempt to do so will result in immediate termination of player’s account and possible civil and/or criminal liability.
    5. Use or exploit any bugs, design errors or problems in the System or Game or communicate the existence of any such exploitable items, either directly or through public posting, to any other user of the System or Game. Exploits include, but are by no means limited to, those behaviors which allow a character to remain either out of potential combat range, or invisible to mobs, while actively in game. Any such problems, errors or bugs should be promptly reported via the support website at https://support.istaria.com. Failure to report such bugs, errors or problems in order to continue to exploit the system will result in immediate suspension of the player's account pending closer investigation of the matter.
    6. Create, use or provide any server emulator or other site where the Game may be played. Attempt to post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software tools related to the Game without our express written permission.
    7. Harass or threaten other players of the game or cause distress or discomfort to any such player. We do not condone harassment in any form and may immediately suspend or terminate the account of any player who takes part in such harassment. Personal attacks based upon a person’s race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, or any other such criteria or affiliation is strictly prohibited.
    8. Use any sexually explicit, harmful, vulgar, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive language while in the Game or System.
    9. Post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, sexually explicit, obscene, vulgar, harassing, defamatory, hateful, or otherwise objectionable content or images or links to such images.
    10. Exchange or transfer any pirated or illegal software while on the Game or System or our Web site(s).
    11. Organize or participate as a member of any guild or group within the Game that is based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-homosexual, or other hate-related philosophy.
    12. Engage in “disruptive behavior” that is deemed to include, but is not limited to, conduct that purposely interferes with the normal flow of game-play or interferes with other players’ use and enjoyment of the Game. Such behaviors include, but are not limited to, "camping" a certain spawn or spawn area for lengthy periods of time, kill stealing, loot stealing, and/or resource stealing.
    13. Post or transmit any sort of outside advertising, promotions, chain letters, pyramid marketing schemes or other forms of unsolicited materials. Such material is considered a nuisance by many other players and may, in fact, be illegal in certain jurisdictions.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

12 is a definite violation imo.

I do remember not too long ago, a friend was flying over where the popular Fyakki power-leveling spot was and he saw a lvl 100 ancient powerleveling 3 hatchlings. Sad. Of course, the ancient was powerleveled themselves from what I've heard..

I'm always tempted to message a player whom is being power-leveled and asking them if they are a new player or not, then give them a lengthy synopsis on why power-leveling is frowned upon and a definite bad choice in Istarian gameplay.
    But the response would probably be "-bleep- u, u cant tell me wat 2 do" or "i kin plae ho i wantz!!!1!1!" and a waste of my time!

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    12 is a definite violation imo.

I do remember not too long ago, a friend was flying over where the popular Fyakki power-leveling spot was and he saw a lvl 100 ancient powerleveling 3 hatchlings. Sad. Of course, the ancient was powerleveled themselves from what I've heard..

I'm always tempted to message a player whom is being power-leveled and asking them if they are a new player or not, then give them a lengthy synopsis on why power-leveling is frowned upon and a definite bad choice in Istarian gameplay.
    But the response would probably be "-bleep- u, u cant tell me wat 2 do" or "i kin plae ho i wantz!!!1!1!" and a waste of my time!
    There was a certain guild that was doing this habitually.. power leveled folks powerleveling other new folks. It was pretty epidemic for awhile there. But I was in Dralk and just happened to see them talking about taking like 6 hatchlings to fire pygmies to PL them. Just.. right out in the open like there was nothing wrong with it. When I asked how the hatchlings would be able to fight fire pygmies (none of them were over lvl 15) I was told that, oh easily.. the ancient was going to kill them so the hatchies would get the exp while they were safe. I mean.. just throwing it right out there like 1. I was stupid and didn't know what they were up to and 2. Like it was just fine. Now, it's one thing if it's YOUR hatchling or YOUR biped and you're using dual logins. But ignorance perpetuating ignorance is what impacts the other players.

Then, back when the Palmyran Defenders were broken, I saw a level 60 hatchling in a group with a couple lvl 100+ bipeds who were running out and aggroing everything. An ancient dragon was healing everyone with breezes and killing most everything while the bipeds gathered for the hatchling. Boy did they get indignant when I just mentioned (out loud of course) that it must be fun being powerleveled with broken mobs. That one leaked out to MP chat and the person that was primarily responsible denied to their last breath that they were PLing anyone, lol. Yeah, that was a funny situation. Never even mentioned their name but they were rating 180+ Oddly they died in Palmyran Defenders shortly afterwards. Riddle me how a rating 180+ character dies in broken defenders that can't hit someone? Again.. new folks that are powerleveled.

Bottom line: Level 100 newbies with no clue hurt the playerbase, the game and the abilty to enjoy the game for other players. I can't tell you how many times I've had to ask someone if they were kidding when a level 100 asks where they can find things for their tier 3 adventure skills. Eventually they seem to have gotten the message and keep it within their guilds. It's still surprising when I see level 100s everywhere and have no idea who they are. Or hear that someone is ascending to ancient and have never seen their name before or, more likely, get asked to help with their rift run and don't even know their name.

Oh well.. all we can do is keep spreading the knowledge that powerleveling newbies isn't helping them.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

though I wonder:

whenever I try to help long term friends to gain a level (or 5^^) ,
    it takes hours if we have achieved (max. 5 level) our goal.
    those folks are lvl. 60-70- some have rating of 100-115.
    Lov or Luna are 100. I need a lot of patience, I only do this for close friends.
    And in my eyes it makes no sense to pl drags: They level faster if they do it alone (ok a friendly healer is always helpful).

And how can a rating more than 200 lvel someone??
    All frown if we go out for a hunt, if Lupus or Disi are with us:
    No xp then for lower level/ratings.

So I ask again: Are we talking about pl or LEACHING??

Mensar: I totally agree with you.
    But there are situations it makes sense to take lvl 60 chars into a nearly full group:
    It teaches them how to fight certain mobs.
    I too am so tired of the high level/high rating noobs, who do not know about the most essential
    things: What to wear, what to buff, how to fight WA.
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; August 28th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information