Thread: Complaining in Marketplace

Default Complaining in Marketplace

Right the past few days a player has been complaining about roleplay. He has been going on about how the developers have ruined roleplay. "they have done this, they have done that" but one thing he did say is how are bipeds suppose to use a scaleforge twice the size of them?? he said it ruins the roleplay. But the reason im making this post isnt to complain about him but to put this to rest as i for one am sick of hearing the developers get blamed for things not being how someone wants it when they have been real busy providing us a stable gaming server to login to. So i ask you devs to either sort it out or make a comment below stating how its not gonna change. Thanks
    Last edited by Velea; September 2nd, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Removed identifying player information

Default Re: Complaining in Marketplace

I understand its a bit odd from a logical view, but then so is a Dragon making use of an anvil or a Smelter (lack of fingers and all). Guess my only advice for those on Order who don't like it is, don't make use of it if it offends your RP sensibilities.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalious View Post
    how are bipeds suppose to use a scaleforge twice the size of them??
    as a gnome, a lot of things don't really fit my size. i've learned to hop up on things and be creative in how i work on them. with dragon scaleforges, applying nose powder (buffing) to protect myself from heat makes it a whole lot more comfortable. it's really not the size, but the quality of the materials, that determines how effectively i can work on it. i always assume other bipeds can figure that out too.

"they have done this, they have done that" but one thing he did say is how are bipeds suppose to use a scaleforge twice the size of them?? he said it ruins the roleplay.
    If one is creative and puts some thought into it, a plausible explanation for most things is possible. Awdz gives a good example of an explanation for a biped using a scaleforge, and that is much more easily explained away than some of the other stuff in this game. xP (It is also worth noting that dragons have been able to use anvils for years, and that is just as "odd" as bipeds using scaleforges, if not moreso.) Instead of getting angry at the devs for making a change that seems at first to break immersion, one should try to come up with an explanation for it. Succeed and you've fixed the issue for yourself and possibly others. RP is about creativity; no one said that creativity was limited to interactions between other players and couldn't be applied to things like game mechanics.

The thing is...Istaria is a game first and a roleplay environment second. One may notice that only the one server, Order, is labelled for RP. Yes, some do RP on Chaos, but I would wager that the majority of the playerbase does not. The game mechanics have to come first, even if some of the changes made are disappointing to parts of the population that actually roleplay.

Trust me, I've been disappointed myself. But that's just going to happen. No one can please everyone all the time, so to expect Istaria's devs to do that, well, it isn't fair. :P

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Right the past few days a player has been complaining about roleplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    for those on Order
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    One may notice that only the one server, Order, is labelled for RP. Yes, some do RP on Chaos, but I would wager that the majority of the playerbase does not.

Guys, I am so confused.

More on-topic, the "roleplayer"* who incessantly complains about the stupidest of "immersion-breaking [badness]" is a perennial nuisance of roleplaying games. The reasons why they do it can be myriad-- to listen to the sound of their own voice, to rile up others, personal inadequacy issues, etc. However, the solution is the same! Ignore them. Mentally ignore them, put them on your in-game Ignore list, whatever it takes-- just stop giving them your attention. At worst, they go annoy someone else. At best, the shut-down of nobody listening to the stupid noises coming out of their (virtual) mouth will negate any enjoyment they got from it and make them stop doing it, perhaps permanently.

*Sarcastic bunny ears because I've found the quantity of time people spend kvetching about roleplaying is inverse to the amount of time they actually spend doing it.

It depends which server board I think is which.

I was wondering why this was posted on the Chaos board as well... I know some RP on Chaos but still. O.o

Anyways, to people like this 'roleplayer' mentioned I either ignore them or logic/creativity them to death. It really bothers me when people instantly point fingers at the devs, despite everything they're doing to keep the game alive.

It is in the Chaos section because the player in question who is constantly and publicly moaning about his own personal RP experience being ruined, is playing on Chaos at the moment - though none of us here can understand why, particularily when he repeatedly states he is origionally an Order player, and has only recently transferred to Chaos.

Well that's highly annoying... and rather ridiculous. They could be a sort of troll but eh...

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    . They could be a sort of troll but eh...
    like the one that who claims that he is "the hero that istaria deserves, but not the one it needs. a silent guardian, i am the angel of deth sent here to kill all the dagrons i can"
    but he can`t do it until he "must become acclimated to my new physical form (limiting corporeal form)"

I do wonder whether the mental health act is sometimes too soft when i see such "intelligence"......

Oh dear....

I'm sorry but LOL. If your biggest problem with RP immersion is scale forge size in relation to character size than you haven't looked around very well or thought about immersion much before this change. In a world where a Dryad and Half-Giant can switch armour in the field anything else seems minor. RP is fiction, game mechanics are fact, let your imagination go. The limitations of RP is controlled by the group RPing not the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    I'm sorry but LOL. If your biggest problem with RP immersion is scale forge size in relation to character size than you haven't looked around very well or thought about immersion much before this change. In a world where a Dryad and Half-Giant can switch armour in the field anything else seems minor. RP is fiction, game mechanics are fact, let your imagination go. The limitations of RP is controlled by the group RPing not the game.
    /agree

In fact I have heard they even play RP without a computer...*GASP*

To each their own.

Not being a fan of RP and being on the order server (like me) may seem just as much of an affront but everyone has their reasons.

if they want to RP, what does that hurt? Unless its incessant and annoying.... Then /ignore is best.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Thread Information