Thread: Upswing in returning players... YAY!

Default Upswing in returning players... YAY!

Seems like lately we have seen many new players join the game and a distinct upswing in returnees from long ago.

This is a great thing!

To me, it proves a few things about this game ...

1. This game still has great appeal to a broad range of players.

2. I totally pve based game actually can survive in today's mmo market.

3. Folks seem tired of the current crop of MMO's and want to return to their roots.

I would like to encourage all of you to tell your friends, post on game boards, and spread the word about Istaira, and maybe we all can help keep this trend going!
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Default Re: Upswing in returning players... YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by AamerKhan View Post
    Seems like lately we have seen many new players join the game and a distinct upswing in returnees from long ago.

This is a great thing!

To me, it proves a few things about this game ...

1. This game still has great appeal to a broad range of players.

2. I totally pve based game actually can survive in today's mmo market.

3. Folks seem tired of the current crop of MMO's and want to return to their roots.

I would like to encourage all of you to tell your friends, post on game boards, and spread the word about Istaira, and maybe we all can help keep this trend going!
    i agree with this

Kida

Yes, it was very nice to finally return! I know I'm spreading the word as much as I can. c:

It is good to have a game without PvP as a major draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    It is good to have a game without PvP as a major draw.
    ^^
    This.

Warhammer's main selling point: Cross-Realm PvP
    Rifts: PvP
    Aion: PvP with Wings.

PvP PvP PvP PvP PvP.

I do get sick and tired of seeing it everywhere. It is like people just can't have fun anymore if they're not making another player's life hard.

The only reason I play WoW is because if you play on a PvE server, then the game is 90% PvE. There are still annoying times, though, when people kill your faction's quest NPCs and you're unable to quest for a long period of time because of it, though.

The only other MMORPG that I've ever seen that has very little to no PvP in it, is FFXI and it is horribly grindy, though I'm waiting to see what their UI update and their next expansion brings. Who knows, maybe they can turn the game around and make it fun again. They're certainly trying, and they've come a long way... but they still got a long way to go.

So yes, this is a HUGE major selling point that Istaria has. That and dragons. Buildable housing is also on the list... so... pretty much...

1). Dragons.
    2). No PvP.
    3). Buildable Housing (especially lairs).

I think #2 and #3 are tied for the #2 spot.

Istaria has a form of "consensual" PvP :P
    The Arena.

Also, most of the titles that are not PVP only are offering consensual PVP
    DAoC had PvE and the one of the best PvP setups. But no one could force you to go into Frontiers and engage in PvP. Same goes for Age of Conan. You could play the PVE part forever and unhindered.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Saga of Ryzom had challenging, but you could turn it down.

Hopefully, the challenger then moved on to annoy another.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    Saga of Ryzom had challenging, but you could turn it down.

Hopefully, the challenger then moved on to annoy another.
    When I left the game went full on PvP for faction. If you didn't do PvP you didn't get the good stuff in game. This may have changed back to the only challenging by now but I don't know for sure.

If you see a sudden balancing of the races. Archers flame or fire arrows or whatever it is called being reduced to the maximum distance a dragon spell or breath can reach I would be concerned. Dragon's ability to one hit kill a mob being reduced drastically I would be concerned.

To put PvP in this game world wide they will have to do almost a complete character nurf and re-write to pull it off. This would take some time to do/test. As it is now I am not worried.

as for the arena most games of the period had those for PvP. If you look into our arena you will see it is seldom used.

Kida

Admittedly.. I do have some issues with this game. Issues that my bf is VERY turned off by (which translates to: pushing away potential customers), and I wish they could be corrected to make this game more popular and stand a better chance in today's market.

But the issues mostly involve the pricing of the game and most of the interface.. two things that the higher ups are not very likely to change, so I honestly am not going to even try suggesting it. Even if it were better for the game. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    Admittedly.. I do have some issues with this game. Issues that my bf is VERY turned off by (which translates to: pushing away potential customers), and I wish they could be corrected to make this game more popular and stand a better chance in today's market.

But the issues mostly involve the pricing of the game and most of the interface.. two things that the higher ups are not very likely to change, so I honestly am not going to even try suggesting it. Even if it were better for the game. >_>
    Is there a pricing structure better than free? Or does he want to be paid to play? If so tell him to stand in line...ME FIRST!!

Kida

Is there a pricing structure better than free? Or does he want to be paid to play? If so tell him to stand in line...ME FIRST!!
    No need to be rude. The fact of the matter is, there are better MMO's today that don't charge 10-15 dollars a month. And Istaria is on a downward spiral if they don't change things asap.

No need to be rude. The fact of the matter is, there are better MMO's today that don't charge 10-15 dollars a month. And Istaria is on a downward spiral if they don't change things asap.
    I wasn't trying to be rude but really... free is free how much more can they do and still stay in business? I would love to hear what these other games are doing.

Better is a subjective word. Your better may not be my better. Just going to a Cash Shop/Free to play or Hybrid model does not guarantee success or longevity. It pains me to use this as an example as I played there for 8.5 years but City of Heroes which last September went to a Hybrid model is closing down in November. I will tell you from my own personal experience that they did a hell of a job with the Hybrid model and it still failed and they have a Dev team of 80+ people. (Just to note they were making money but apparently the investment from NCSoft was too much as NCSoft lost 7 million last quarter on making AION a Hybryd Model) Istaria doesn't have that kind of a team to my knowledge and to be honest could never go to that kind of a model.

Just to be clear I started here at launch in 2003, stayed a few years and have been back intermittently. I come back because I do like this game very much and I have no qualms paying 9.95 or 14.95 a month to play. I am not trying to be rude about it but at the end of the day a MMO is a business and money is not infinite. It costs money to run and operate servers and pay people to maintain the game. Some games use the Cash Shop options while others have subscriptions. That's a fact and what works for a big budget or game built with a F2P option will not work for a much smaller game that does not have the support to convert if they wanted to.
    In and Out of Istaria/Horizons since December 2003

Kida

I wasn't trying to be rude but really... free is free how much more can they do and still stay in business? I would love to hear what these other games are doing.
    I gave you a list in the other thread. Feel free to check it out.

And to Vitality: The fact is that subscription-based games in general are dying out fast. And when it comes to Istaria, which most of the game is old, complicated, and outdated... It's not worth the subscription fees that they are charging right now.

But of course, it is my opinion. But judging by the current amount of players (which isn't as many as it used to be, and it's obvious to see that), many others share the opinion.
    Last edited by Velea; September 7th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

My opinion, based on years of ebb and flow seen in game population, is that this is the game folks come home to after trying out the newest whatever that gets released. Those of us who stay do feel the subscription fees are well worth it.

I gave you a list in the other thread. Feel free to check it out.

And to Vitality: The fact is that subscription-based games in general are dying out fast. And when it comes to Istaria, which most of the game is old, complicated, and outdated... It's not worth the subscription fees that they are charging right now.

But of course, it is my opinion. But judging by the current amount of players (which isn't as many as it used to be, and it's obvious to see that), many others share the opinion.
    I have never said this to another player as we ALL have our opinions and ALL are valid, but If you dislike the game so much you know where the uninstall is right? If not let me know and will be happy to instruct you.
    Last edited by Velea; September 7th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Kida

I have never said this to another player as we ALL have our opinions and ALL are valid, but If you dislike the game so much you know where the uninstall is right? If not let me know and will be happy to instruct you.

I fell for it again I fed the troll.
    I do not HATE Istaria. Everything I'm saying is out of love for the game, all my posts were to try and help the higher-ups see why this game is failing the way it is, and why change needs to happen. I LOVE ISTARIA. A LOT. It's my favorite MMO. It's just that I've been watching it worsen for the past two years, and I really wish I could save it.
    Last edited by Velea; September 7th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.

I am closing this thread as its already off-topic and is quickly devolving into attacks.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information