Thread: Multi-class Question...

Default Multi-class Question...

I was wondering about what the rhyme or reason is to what abilities you can use as a multi-class character from cross class skills(abilities).

Ok, I made that a bit to complicated... So here's an example:
    My character is 5th level mage/6th level warrior. As of now I'm able to use my fire bolt and enhance fire bolt as a warrior, but none of my other mage skills. Conversely, I'm not able to use any warrior abilities as a mage...

So, what's the point in multi-classing if I may ask?

Also, I'm no longer geting training points if I go back and level a class that is lower than my highest... Does that mean I'll only ever get 100 levels of points to spend?

I'm looking at getting to Knight of Creation, but after that I was thinking Druid for the buffs and auras... If I can't use any of them, then what's the point in leveling a second/third or fourth class?

Perhaps I just don't understand the way the game works...
    Thanks,
    Quiiliitiila

Default Re: Multi-class Question...

Not all of the abilities in each class can be mastered (usable if you switch class). If the ability is masterable you can use it anytime if you are double of the level ahead for that ability. For example you get Critical Strike I as warrior on level 10, this ability is masterable so when you reach level 20 in warrior (10x2) you will have Critical Strike in any class you switch to. Now training points, there are maximum of 1200 by hitting your first level 100, so you get them only with your highest level among all classes that you have. As for the spells, each spell has its own class and skill requirements. There are basically 2 types of spells, Mystic - nature, life, spirit, blight, which are usable by one half of classes, and Arcane - fire, ice, energy, summoning, which are usable by the other. There are also spells that only few classes can use, and some are usable by everyone (generally Revitalizes and Bolts). so just check the requirements. Buffs are also split in two categories, enhances (mystic base) and raises (arcane base). The gifts uses Augmentation with exception of Gift of Health that uses Life, so they are usable by any class. The point in multiclassing is to stack up your maximum base in skill and get more passive and active masterable abilities, which, by right use, gives you tremendous power
    Timeo danaos et dona ferentis..

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisuke View Post
    Not all of the abilities in each class can be mastered (usable if you switch class). If the ability is masterable you can use it anytime if you are double of the level ahead for that ability. For example you get Critical Strike I as warrior on level 10, this ability is masterable so when you reach level 20 in warrior (10x2) you will have Critical Strike in any class you switch to. Now training points, there are maximum of 1200 by hitting your first level 100, so you get them only with your highest level among all classes that you have. As for the spells, each spell has its own class and skill requirements. There are basically 2 types of spells, Mystic - nature, life, spirit, blight, which are usable by one half of classes, and Arcane - fire, ice, energy, summoning, which are usable by the other. There are also spells that only few classes can use, and some are usable by everyone (generally Revitalizes and Bolts). so just check the requirements. Buffs are also split in two categories, enhances (mystic base) and raises (arcane base). The gifts uses Augmentation with exception of Gift of Health that uses Life, so they are usable by any class. The point in multiclassing is to stack up your maximum base in skill and get more passive and active masterable abilities, which, by right use, gives you tremendous power
    Ahhhh! Thank you so much for this explanation, it makes a ton of more sense now.

But, I'm currently trying to get into confectioner and thusly I'm leveling Gatherer. However, I've gotten to level 4 and I still only have a base foraging skill of 45 (I need 100 for Confectioner). What's up with that? The wiki says I should be getting 10-11 points in foraging per gatherer level, but as of now I've not had a single skill increase for the 4 levels...

Is it because I've already gotten 5 levels in scholar? If so, how can we be expected to level skills in a new class if the passives are also restricted to the first 100 levels?

Thanks,
    Quiiliitiila

The base skill always comes from the highest level that gives it. So if you cant see an increase, then you already have it higher than your current school offers on this level. Continue leveling and you will figure everything out yourself, its all pretty simple
    Timeo danaos et dona ferentis..

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisuke View Post
    The base skill always comes from the highest level that gives it. So if you cant see an increase, then you already have it higher than your current school offers on this level. Continue leveling and you will figure everything out yourself, its all pretty simple
    Gah, I'll figure it out Thank you for all the help!

-Quiiliitiila

I must salute Chibisuke for stating the clearest answers to an OP's questions that I have seen in 8 years of playing Istaria. Hats off!

Knossos

Oh one thing quiil with regard to multiclassing adventure, I would strongly advise you focus your attention in one particular adventure class and master that (potentially after selecting a prestige). If you don't as you gain more levels in mixed classes your adventure rating will begin to cripple your experience gain.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    Oh one thing quiil with regard to multiclassing adventure, I would strongly advise you focus your attention in one particular adventure class and master that (potentially after selecting a prestige). If you don't as you gain more levels in mixed classes your adventure rating will begin to cripple your experience gain.
    Yeah, I'm beginning to find that out now :P

Got up to 10th Cleric for Druid and road out 17 levels. But then said "Hey, I wanna be a Knight of Creation", so I'm now a 16th level fighter going to 20 and with 20 more to go in mage...

/sigh I just wanna get to my prestige already... Is that to much to ask?

-Quiiliitiila

Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    Yeah, I'm beginning to find that out now :P

Got up to 10th Cleric for Druid and road out 17 levels. But then said "Hey, I wanna be a Knight of Creation", so I'm now a 16th level fighter going to 20 and with 20 more to go in mage...

/sigh I just wanna get to my prestige already... Is that to much to ask?

-Quiiliitiila
    I know that feeling i only recently managed to get 100 battle mage.... only took me 8 years.

If you feel the need i do beleive there is still away to "forget" classes you don't need. Its always worth bearing in mind.

"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I know that feeling i only recently managed to get 100 battle mage.... only took me 8 years.

If you feel the need i do beleive there is still away to "forget" classes you don't need. Its always worth bearing in mind.
    Forget? I've never heard of this, could you link or post how to do it?

-Quiiliitiila

Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    Forget? I've never heard of this, could you link or post how to do it?

-Quiiliitiila
    Its been years since i did it... it was in dalimond if i recall. i'll try to find out for you

"

You talk to an NPC out along the shore just north of the Dalimond lighthouse, the rocks just outside the town gate. He will ask you what class you want to forget. You then travel to the far east end of the map, I want to say south of Lerena, north of Grayling. There is a house in the hills there. You'll note the path as it has white grapevine nodes along it (don't have the /loc). He'll ask you to confirm you want to forget that school then you wait on a timer and say yes. You lose all skills and abilities you learned from that school. A caution, if you say forget Cleric and want to go back to being Druid from another school, you'll have to level Cleric to 10 again. Annoying, but required. (I found out from experience)

Thread Information