Thread: Hate you too Nvidia!

Default Hate you too Nvidia!

Welcome one and all to my latest rant on everyone's favorite topic- me versus computer. Now before you tech savy people start flinging advice my way ( not that I don't appreciate it) you may want to pass for now since I'v already decided I am going to bring it to a professional to have it looked at. I'm mostly doing this to rant and gain maybe some emotional support while I wait till morning comes. Till then enjoy.

I hate computers. Just when I start believing I can fix any problem that comes my way, my pc flings something at me that I have never had to deal with before-the blue screen of DEATH. But I am getting ahead of myself, instead lets go back a few minutes before this all occured.

So while playing Skyrim for 2 hours ( yes I am cheating on you Istaria for a game that kills dragons! I should be ashamed!) I get this really weird and bad graphics glitch that turns some of the textures an ultraviolet color and locks the computer up. I have no choice with the frozen screen but to push the power button and reboot. The computer proceeds to turn back on, and it looks like it is okay so I go to load my game and continue where I left off. After a min "playing", I get the same graphics glitch and freeze.

So being the dummy that I am, I decide that maybe the problem is being caused by an outdated graphics driver. Sure enough I check and there is an update available for me. One download and reboot later and everything appears to still be working. Fire up the game and before I can even get pass that logo screen the graphics glitch and the computer freezes. Damnit!

At this point I figure I'd try lowering the settings...but before I can even test this theory, I notice something horrible has occured. I am now getting weird graphical glitches on the screen as soon as the computer starts up. Course I don't get too far, because before my desktop can even load, I get hit smacked with the bsod.

Looking at it, it reads that the problem is being caused by nv4_disp creating an infinite loop. According to google, it is my Nvidia graphics card. So I attempt to fix it by following the top suggestions and uninstall and reinstall the driver. During the whole process I still see the weird graphical glitch of green dots and swiggles across my screen even while in safe mode. But even after installing the latest driver and then a slightly older one that I know was working before, the dots and swiggles remain. Siiiiiiiiiigh. However, I did notice that while I had the drivers uninstalled I was able to atleast reboot the computer without getting a blue screen.

So since it seems that the driver isn't the cause of the problem, I' ve come to the scary realization that it might be a hardware issue. And as little as I know about software, I know even less about hardware! So hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to convice my dad to take it to the repair shop and figure out what actually is causing the problem. I don't want to touch it myself because not only do I have 0 idea on what to look for, I 'm afraid I might make it worse with some static electricity.

For those who want to know, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 Gt graphics card.

So yea...... I hate you computer and I always will >

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Default Re: Hate you too Nvidia!

You have my emotional support on this matter. Although I know computers are inanimate objects, I could swear they sometimes act up just to annoy you.

Hold in there, I hope it will be fixed!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Ew! That sounds unpleasantly like what happened to me the last time one of my video cards died. The bad news is that probably means you'll need a new video card; the good news is well, you'd ONLY need a new video card-- replacing one part of a system isn't too bad, it's when nobody can figure out what's malfunctioning that you get into the fun test-everything-in-the-computer-one-by-one cycle.

Regardless: did I mention EW? Rassa frassa computer malfunctions.

Oh! One small... kinda-advice thing: if you DO take it to the repair guys and they seem reasonably nice, ask them to show you how to safely open up the computer case and dust it. Dust build-up can clog fans and lead to things overheating, which means replacing them sooner than you'd otherwise have to, very annoying! And I can assure you from personal experience as someone who barely knows what they're doing with a computer that it's not very hard. Trickiest bit is finding a can of compressed air.

Good luck, I hope everything is fixed as painlessly as possible!

Thanks for all the support! It so frustrating sometimes when all you can do is wait and pray that the problem isn't worse than it seems. Makes me wish I could role back time before this all happened. At any rate I should have my answers in a few days.

Atleast I still have other means of getting work done and connecting to the Internet meanwhile. Good thing every device these days are practically mini computers themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I am now getting weird graphical glitches on the screen as soon as the computer starts up. Course I don't get too far, because before my desktop can even load, I get hit smacked with the bsod.

During the whole process I still see the weird graphical glitch of green dots and swiggles across my screen even while in safe mode.
    These are the signs of a hardware problem. "Burned-in" garbage on the screen is a sign of VRAM failure. Try running your video card in another system that is known to work properly otherwise. That should tell you if you're looking for a replacement video card or something else, like a power supply or motherboard.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

HARDWARE.

your graphics card is dying. you need a new one. don't get it looked at by the proffessional... he'll charge you for looking at it, charge you to install a new card, on top of the card's $100+ price...

just get a new card. you need one.

Thanks for the advice Romirez and Steelclaw, but I already dropped it off to be looked at. It's so odd to see an empty space where it use to be....

Just a reminder, Black Friday is coming.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    Thanks for the advice Romirez and Steelclaw, but I already dropped it off to be looked at. It's so odd to see an empty space where it use to be....
    i really wish you had asked me first.... i build and maintain my own computer. i could have diagnosed it for you.

9800 GT is getting pretty long in the tooth, it may be dying. you can pick up a good gtx 560 for less than $150.
    *E* may have to go with a bigger power supply though.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    i really wish you had asked me first.... i build and maintain my own computer. i could have diagnosed it for you.
    Maybe next time! Knowing my luck with computers there will most likely be a next time!

So we finally have confirmation, my graphics card was indeed dead/dying supposedly due to all the dust that had collected on it (note to self get can of air spray). So before I okay on the new graphics card, I figured I 'll ask you guys on your input now rather than later.
    The graphics card that is currently on the table now is an EVGA GeForce GTX560 SE 1GB GDDR5 PCI 2.0 SLI (model 01G-P3-1464-KR). I already know that it is the lowest performance card for the 560's line but as far as I can see it should still be a great card. So what I want to know is if the are any major problems I should be aware of before getting it. Keep in mind that I am planning on running games like Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 (if/when I get it) so I want to make sure I'll be able to play them for a good long time without the graphics card blowing up again. And being able to play them with higher settings sure would be nice....

So in your opinion-will it be able to get the job done without much of a struggle? I have a 550 W Corsair Power Supply if I remember correctly (don't have it with me to check) and am told I have all the required connections to install it if that is a concern. Also please respond quickly to this as soon as you can because I would like to order it as soon as possible ( some time today please). Thanks.

Before you drop any coin on a new graphics card, is your current one under warranty? Some of the manufacturers offer warranty coverage in excess of a year (3, 5, 10, and lifetime).

Might want to blow out the dust before sending it in though.

Nope it's not on warranty anymore.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

I have no experience with those games, though the card you mentioned seems to hit the $150-ish price point. It'll probably do what you want, but don't expect to get eleventybillion fps with the quality cranked up to photo-realism.

Gotcha-I think I can make due with just tenbillion fps. :P
    Bad joke aside, if any of you guys have something more to add, there still a bit more time. I decided to wait till morning before ordering it, so there's still a few hours left to let your opinions be heard. Like I said before I am no hardware expert so any info that you might think is important for me to know will be gladly accepted.

It's rant time again! So go get some popcorn and soda pop to optimize reading pleasure.

Four-letter-word me. I cannot get a break at all. So for those who haven't been following the thread thus far lemme quickly summarize what has happened. Computer broke-took it into Staples to diagnoise it-confirmed that graphics card had died-order a new, better card. You think that be the end of the story right?

WRONG!

I already ordered AND paid for the new part as of Friday. When I had ordered it, I was told specifically that it was in stock and that it would be done by Friday the 5th. Now I know it is only the 4th, but I decided to call a day early to check how far they have gotten to installing the new piece. Not only has the piece not even arrived yet-but it is backorder and going to take an additional TEN MORE DAYS before it is ready! Note, we are talking business days here, so really we are saying TWO WEEKS.

Now before anyone starts defending them by saying it's normal for a graphics card to take months to arrive, please keep in mind that the reason I ordered this card in the first place was cause it was IN STOCK! They even said that when the vendor has it, it only takes a day for them to send it out from Texas and another day for it to arive to New York at MOST. So how the hell we went from "in stock 2 days" to "oops all gone wait 2 weeks please!" On top of which, they didn't even know it was out of stock!

Yup, that is right. The only reason they even know it is on backorder now is cause I called to check up on them. It was promised to be done TOMMORROW. So what happen? Did no one notice and say "hey we got this order that is due tommorrow and the part hasn't arrived yet-maybe I should check with the vendor and ask what's going on." Or atleast contact me and inform me that there is an issue! I should not have to call them and REMIND THEM TO DO THEIR WORK! WTF!

I think I am more mad about how it is being handle then the fact that it is going to take an extra two weeks. I mean really, not only am I am not getting it on the date that was PROMISED to me, but they don't even feel like their obligated enough to keep on top of things and inform me if thereis an issue.

So yea, in my anger I went and called them back but this time I went straight to management. (Though my father thinks I should had waited until AFTER I got my computer back...) Told them essentially the story and last I heard they were going to look into the issue and call me back when they have more info. That was an hour ago and haven't heard from them yet sooooo yea... I am probably not going to hear from them unless I call them again.

Okay rant done.

Cut your losses. Pay the diagnostic fee (that seems reasonable, since they did diagnose your problem), get your computer back, order the part from Newegg or Amazon, put it in yourself.

If they want to charge you for anything else, point out that they overshot their commitment and that waiting for a computer for over two weeks beyond that is not acceptable.

Two weeks of waiting for parts... maybe in 1990, that's fine, but these days, where I can order something online and have the part arrive in 2-3 days, nope, not even close.

Might want to make sure they can demonstrate that your computer otherwise works before you sign off on it. (have them put a test video card in, or bring your own)

Alternatively, work out an arrangement where you get a discount. Waiving the installation fees sounds like a reasonable compromise for this level of getting jerked around. Whatever that arrangement is, get it in writing.

Thread Information