Thread: Resources and mobs

Thumbs down Resources and mobs

I usually try not to complain. This time I'm gonna.

The whole mob thing where rich and motherlode type things are only in guarded locations and less safe areas over all. Maybe the idea was to get the bigger players to go there, where they can kill the mobs while they harvest, I don't know. In any event, it's not working. I see level 100's in the safe areas scooping up the nodes. The lower folks couldn't go up against the big mobs if they wanted to.

When asked, the folks tell me they don't want to be attacked while crafting. I agree with that! Me neither! My level 81 alt goes to Acul. Climbs into the golem pit for the dark iron motherlode. Spends all her time killing the dang things that leap her, and now she's got a pile so deep she can't see the ML to re-target it. C'mon! Then before they fade, new mobs have spawned and are attacking.
    I don't call that fun. I call it annoying.
    Blight: Kaylee, Marynah, others
    Guildmistress, Crafters of Blight
    Chaos: Demmona, Bankshot, others
    Co-Guildmistress, Mithril Council

Default Re: Resources and mobs

Suggestion: If you can get a shield scroll and a healing potion, put those on while digging in the golem pit. The golems will kill themselves on your shield as you dig, and then you can just dig them as they give themselves up to your mining.

I have CoT. But the point is that's not going to help me gather mithril where the mobs are 99. If all the multi 100 bipeds and 100 dragons munch the safe area the rest of us are SoL. I can't blame them for not wanting to deal with the mobs. I want to be able to stick my nose in a book, take a phone call, refill my coffee, go the bathroom, etc while on a ML and not have to quit what I am doing and move to some safe place to do that.

Add to that, most of my alts are not 81, and don't want to be. I seriously dislike adventuring. I love to craft. When I am forced to become an uber character just to craft I'm not liking it.

OP does have a valid point.

Those unguarded resources are more for the lowbies who can't handle the mobs, but yet the multi-school bipeds and the 100 dragons gobble them up and leave none behind.

IMO, the Rich and Motherlodes should be in the unguarded areas, and the regular nodes should be in the mob areas because the mobs can be harvested too, especially when you consider the spawn nodes get covered up with corpses, and they tend to respawn faster than you can kill them off and mine them.

OP has a very valid point here.

I've experienced the "arrrgh, I spend more time killing than mining" when trying to get my Lv100 dragon to harvest marble in the marble quarry and I was using gold rage and silver strike to drop the golems in <5 seconds.

I'd kill 3-4 of them, whack a regular node. By the time the regular node was done, I had a couple more golems attacking me and the corpses were piling up.

Also, a suggestion for the devs: Could you make it if you harvest a corpse until there's no more resources, could you make the corpse despawn instantly like resource nodes do? I hate having a pile of corpses and trying to gather resources from them, it is impossible to tell which ones you've mined already and which you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    IMO, the Rich and Motherlodes should be in the unguarded areas, and the regular nodes should be in the mob areas because the mobs can be harvested too, especially when you consider the spawn nodes get covered up with corpses, and they tend to respawn faster than you can kill them off and mine them.
    Er.. The Rich and Motherlode nodes are what provide the incentive to gather at a guarded resource field. They make gathering easier for those that can deal with the mobs. Reverse the order like you say and suddenly there's no incentive to go to the guarded spawn unless you're specifically there for the mobs.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Er.. The Rich and Motherlode nodes are what provide the incentive to gather at a guarded resource field. They make gathering easier for those that can deal with the mobs. Reverse the order like you say and suddenly there's no incentive to go to the guarded spawn unless you're specifically there for the mobs.
    But if you do a little looking about, most people just aren't bothering going in because they don't want to deal with the mobs. Since they can just go to the safe areas, they do. So the concept is not working. Time to change it.

I personally would sooner deal with mobs than having to swap to a new node every 30 seconds. I groan every time I work with normal-sized nodes. The concept does work, just not 100% of the time (and no concept can be expected to work 100% of the time).

If a draw on a resource field is truly so bad that it is causing lower-level players to be unable to gather, perhaps try bringing up specific fields where this occurs and asking if a bump in respawn rate might be considered. That's much more likely to happen than asking the devs to change an entire facet of their design plan.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I personally would sooner deal with mobs than having to swap to a new node every 30 seconds. I groan every time I work with normal-sized nodes. The concept does work, just not 100% of the time (and no concept can be expected to work 100% of the time).

If a draw on a resource field is truly so bad that it is causing lower-level players to be unable to gather, perhaps try bringing up specific fields where this occurs and asking if a bump in respawn rate might be considered. That's much more likely to happen than asking the devs to change an entire facet of their design plan.
    That's good if you can. If I had 5000 HP and 4-5 level 100 schools so I could ignore level 100 mobs and let them suicide on my thorns I'd be OK with it too. I don't. Marble for one - I can kill 1 marble golem, but I need the whole reset of my instant heal before I can try another. Two mobs or a quick respawn and I'm dead. The named is right out. So there's one field. Everyone loves the little safe area under the bridge and the one by the outpost. Both way too small to support the number of folks that use them. I've gone under the bridge and found it empty, because it is linked, and no one has gone into where ever the linked side is to flush it. That could be adjusted or unlinked.

Mithril is another. When the MLs were in the mine, you could dodge the mobs to get in - some risk, but doable and sprint out, or now, use a travel scroll. The small safe area up top is rather small, and there are 4 golems up there on the peninsulas that keep people from gathering everything available, so while there are extra nodes there, their inaccessibility makes it as if they are not. 2 of us can clean that area pretty well.

Obsidian. Nice spawn in Char by the crafting cave. Everyone goes there. Often 6 folks there gathering. *gah* I'm told there's a fantastic spawn on Isle of Fire, MLs too. It's at the far end of the isle, no port for kilometers, and a sea of unfriendlies to pas to get there. I'd be surprised to find anyone actively gets their obsidian there. Kind of a waste. It's just not worth the trip, esp if you have to make a lot of trips like building siloville or a big lair.

Yeah, perhaps bumping up the respawn rate might help. It would certainly be a good first step to try that doesn't cost anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marynah View Post
    That's good if you can. If I had 5000 HP and 4-5 level 100 schools so I could ignore level 100 mobs and let them suicide on my thorns I'd be OK with it too. I don't. Marble for one - I can kill 1 marble golem, but I need the whole reset of my instant heal before I can try another. Two mobs or a quick respawn and I'm dead. The named is right out. So there's one field. Everyone loves the little safe area under the bridge and the one by the outpost. Both way too small to support the number of folks that use them. I've gone under the bridge and found it empty, because it is linked, and no one has gone into where ever the linked side is to flush it. That could be adjusted or unlinked.

Mithril is another. When the MLs were in the mine, you could dodge the mobs to get in - some risk, but doable and sprint out, or now, use a travel scroll. The small safe area up top is rather small, and there are 4 golems up there on the peninsulas that keep people from gathering everything available, so while there are extra nodes there, their inaccessibility makes it as if they are not. 2 of us can clean that area pretty well.

Obsidian. Nice spawn in Char by the crafting cave. Everyone goes there. Often 6 folks there gathering. *gah* I'm told there's a fantastic spawn on Isle of Fire, MLs too. It's at the far end of the isle, no port for kilometers, and a sea of unfriendlies to pas to get there. I'd be surprised to find anyone actively gets their obsidian there. Kind of a waste. It's just not worth the trip, esp if you have to make a lot of trips like building siloville or a big lair.
    For marble, I usually use the west-most field at 26928/26021; the golems don't usually come quite that far. I'm not sure what the safe area is under the bridge and only recently discovered the marble by the woodworking structure by the outpost, so my alternative was to dig at the west end of where the golems roam (around 27876/25981), pretty close to the new stoneworking structure. I am pretty good at dodging them.

What about the mine shaft on Saritova for the mithril? Last I looked, it only took a little dodging to get to, had lots of unguarded nodes inside, and had motherlodes in it. Check out 27730/15916.

Obsidian is all over the coast around the tower of wizardry. If you're not up for fighting the tier IV mobs, usually you can dodge them if you're paying attention. There's even a stoneworking shelter to the southeast at around 20952/28726. So, if the area by the crafting cave is full, try northwest. You will have to dodge nasties on the way out there but should not have too hard a time once there. I agree the run out is rather a deterrent for using those nodes, but it's a better alternative than fire island.
    Last edited by awdz; September 24th, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Also, a suggestion for the devs: Could you make it if you harvest a corpse until there's no more resources, could you make the corpse despawn instantly like resource nodes do? I hate having a pile of corpses and trying to gather resources from them, it is impossible to tell which ones you've mined already and which you haven't.
    This would make all the problems worse. What is stopping more golems from killing you? Why, that would be the dead golem at your feet. Instant respawn after you finish harvesting is a really bad idea.
    SoG? Where? :-P

Alas gone are the days when this was easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    This would make all the problems worse. What is stopping more golems from killing you? Why, that would be the dead golem at your feet. Instant respawn after you finish harvesting is a really bad idea.
    Very true, Freelancer! But..........Dhalin is/was asking for "an instant Despawn" not for "an instant Respawn" ....

A suggestion for the meantime: it may be a "solution" to make use of a hotkey macro to
    - /setscale 0.25
    - wait 0.5 seconds
    - /snc ( or /sne)

Hope it works for others, as well as it works for me

The placement of resource spawns uses a risk-vs-reward concept similar to loot from monsters. If you want the greater reward (i.e. the larger nodes) you will need to face greater risks.

To turn this on its head and to give greater reward for no risk would be like putting the greatest loot onto the easiest monsters.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Indeed Amon, but I don't think this is a debate regarding risk-vs-reward.

Marynah and Dhalin are pointing out the fact that "convenient" spots, that are suitable for crafters not fit for combat and not only to them, are simply not enough.
    All those spots are usually overcrowded simply because too few are willing to deal with the golems and no one sane is willing to go to the end of the world, far from any portal/settlement.
    That's why you have the obsidian field at Dralk overcrowded - no one is going to the Island of Fire for reasons already posted by Marynah
    Same goes for Mithril - everyone converges to MA/WP mithril fields and No one is going to the Mithril Mine near Saritova/Yewn.

Quote Originally Posted by Marynah View Post
    But if you do a little looking about, most people just aren't bothering going in because they don't want to deal with the mobs. Since they can just go to the safe areas, they do. So the concept is not working. Time to change it.
    So true.

Basically in any spot you go that is guarded by golems you either get dead or you get yourself under a pile of bodies that thick that you cant spot the nodes under it.
    Last edited by Northwind; September 24th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

I (we) understand what you, Marynah, and others are saying Northwind.

However, there is a thread for listing specific spawns already in existence that either Amon or I (generally Amon, but not always) has been responding to right along. So if you have a particular resource which you (or anyone else) feels there are not enough of, please feel free to list it there.

I'm going to close this thread now, however, as people are simply repeating over and over again the same points.

Thread Information