Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Wiki Update Project

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: The Wiki Update Project

That's awesome!

Pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself... And I do
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Ter, thank you my friend.
    Great piece of work- as usual!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Handy. I filled in some information. FYI in the technique list for dragon scales, scholar's boon is listed, but cannot be applied to dragon scales. I think I've only tried scholar's blessing which didn't work. If the boon works it is likely a bug.

This is not true Guaran, you can add Miner's, Scholar's and Spellcrafter's Boon/Bounty/Blessing on dragon scales, just checked it again with my dragon, will add this to the wiki. Scholar's and Spellcrafter's can't be placed on the same scale.
    Last edited by Terao; November 7th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

You're right, it does apply now. However it is quite likely a bug as dragons have no use for papermaking or scribing, and they can get spellcraft from spellcrafters blessing. Would be pointless to put that on scales.

I've added ALL biped structures to the wiki, buildings. Dragon structures will follow within the next weeks.

Maybe some wants to update the banners, I need to take a "wiki edit break"
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

You did / are doing an amazing job!
    Thanks a lot

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I have questions for anyone who works on monster pages a lot! The formatting is sort of all over the place. Which creature has the formatting that is preferred? The page for giant chickens seems to be one of the most complete—is that a good one to copy after?

I'm also wondering about the best way to handle loot drops. The comment on the loot-table code on the giant-chickens page says to name specific items, but Istaria monsters have loot tables with hundreds of drops, and I honestly don't know that we'll ever have loot tables for all the monsters anywhere near as complete as something like WoWhead. I suggest that it may be better to list general drops, such as "Radiant crystals," "Tier 2 hoard items," or "Upper tier 1 crafting formulae," naming specific items mostly only when they are actually somewhat specific to that monster, like trophies and tech comps, or are specific rare items of note.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Kida wants you to list basically everything specifically, if I'm not mistaken...

Anyways, I just list what I know drops, and the most complete list I've done is on the mob http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Elder . Giant Chicken is a good page to model from, or Lost Elder; juts follow the template. ^^ (if you're making a new page that is.. if you're editing old ones, just follow Giant Chicken's example)

Raptress, use the New Creature Template for creating new creature pages. Easiest way is with the buttons on the main page under Helping Out. Alternatively, go to Template:New Creature page on the wiki, copy the code, and paste it into a blank article.

Kida does want loot lists of each individual item. Concerns about the number of loot drops from certain types of mobs have been expressed to Kida, but she still wants each item to have an entry. See the loot table for Zal'kuk scout for an (incomplete) example.

Did a little back-reading and realized there are code-related reasons for wanting individual, specific items listed under Loot. I am still concerned that loot lists will realistically never be anywhere near complete, but the reasoning for doing it that way is sound.

The page I have been cutting my teeth on is the one for risen bioscholars. I seem to have managed to mostly conform to that new-creature template by copying off giant chickens, however, there were two additional sections that I added: battle tactics (which I had seen used on some other pages) and some extra images at the bottom of the page. Don't know if the images are kosher--there seems to have been a lot of concern over images in previous pages of this thread--but the tactics section is information that I believe people will find useful and the point of a wiki is to be useful, so I hope that will fly.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Kida

Oops, sorry for the absence, I've been quite busy with school... College is a major handful. As for the question about creature pages, yes, my concern with the loot tables was mostly code related (if an item is listed on the creature page, then the item page lists that creature as a potential target to hunt for said item)... it seems pretty cluttered and convoluted, but it serves its purpose for ease of browsing the site (and is mostly newbie-friendly). As for examples, Ish'kuk Gatherer is a page that I worked with personally. The New Creature template also outlines what is basically necessary for all creature pages. More sections, like battle tactics, can be added to pages if they're really necessary (I just didn't see the need on pages like Brownback Wolf, Small Brownback Wolf, etc. so I kept it out of the template).

The only thing about the Giant Chicken page, which is just a bit of nitpicking honestly, is that the level and health values were not input correctly.. For the creature tables, to sort by level and health, the levels need to be three digits (010-015 for example), and health needs to be four (0185-0355). Computers can't count correctly otherwise, hehe.\

Edit: Also, I do understand that some mobs have large loot tables, but as was said before, it's mostly code related. And I made sure that the loot tables on pages are collapsed firsthand, to avoid page stretching, and can be expanded to view the info for anyone interested. So it's a win/win for everyone. : P

All structures added to the wiki, I hope I didn't miss something

I've added the following to the wiki:

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I have questions for anyone who works on monster pages a lot! The formatting is sort of all over the place. Which creature has the formatting that is preferred? The page for giant chickens seems to be one of the most complete—is that a good one to copy after?

I'm also wondering about the best way to handle loot drops. The comment on the loot-table code on the giant-chickens page says to name specific items, but Istaria monsters have loot tables with hundreds of drops, and I honestly don't know that we'll ever have loot tables for all the monsters anywhere near as complete as something like WoWhead. I suggest that it may be better to list general drops, such as "Radiant crystals," "Tier 2 hoard items," or "Upper tier 1 crafting formulae," naming specific items mostly only when they are actually somewhat specific to that monster, like trophies and tech comps, or are specific rare items of note.
    If you are going for something more like how our treasure system is setup then this would be the way to go. Treasure is grouped into tables which are then assigned to each monster. So, at Tier1, for example, we have the following tables that all Tier1 monsters use: BrokenItem CoinPurses, CommonCrystals, RareCrystals, Formulas, Hoardables, Pouches, RefurbGear, CommonTechs, RareTechs, Trinkets, BlightedFormula, BlightedArmor, BlightedDragon, BlightedJewelry, and BlightedWeapon.

Add to that Junk loot tables for Animal, Blight, Elemental, Ghost, Insect, Insect/Spider, Mummy, Skeleton, Wraith and Zombie.

Then, specific tables for some monsters that drops trophies and comps such as BrownsnoutForager, GiantChicken, TurquoiseGolem, etc.

Hope that helps if you want to try and break it down that way. Might make your life a bit easier for organization of pages.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

All the Gnomekindle quests and NPCs added to the wiki.

Kida

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    If you are going for something more like how our treasure system is setup then this would be the way to go. Treasure is grouped into tables which are then assigned to each monster. So, at Tier1, for example, we have the following tables that all Tier1 monsters use: BrokenItem CoinPurses, CommonCrystals, RareCrystals, Formulas, Hoardables, Pouches, RefurbGear, CommonTechs, RareTechs, Trinkets, BlightedFormula, BlightedArmor, BlightedDragon, BlightedJewelry, and BlightedWeapon.

Add to that Junk loot tables for Animal, Blight, Elemental, Ghost, Insect, Insect/Spider, Mummy, Skeleton, Wraith and Zombie.

Then, specific tables for some monsters that drops trophies and comps such as BrownsnoutForager, GiantChicken, TurquoiseGolem, etc.

Hope that helps if you want to try and break it down that way. Might make your life a bit easier for organization of pages.
    Ah, I see how it works now! Thanks for informing us Amon, I'm sure I'll find a way to work that information into the wiki, as it'll definitely make things easier. Just gotta figure out some wiki text to make it work. Thanks again!

Suggestion for creature pages:

Maybe in the little info box where it says health, level, etc we can also put in 'aggro range'? I'd go ahead and do it but want to know what people think. Just realised I could actually measure that by selecting a mob, standing meter by meter closer and seeing how far away it is when aggro'ed.

Also thanks for the anonymous updaters who add stuff to the wiki basically every day

I think it might be worth it to add 'Social' or 'Not social' (aggressive, not aggressive), but aggro range...Eh. Probably the only mob that needs it are the marble golems and boss mobs so people know where to stand and wait while others arrive to the fight. I can't recall any instance where I'd need to know aggro range except on boss mobs, and people just need to be warned about those golems.

*tosses in 2c* I personally would never use such information

Thread Information