Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thornwood aggro range

Default Thornwood aggro range

please check into the aggro range of thornwood treants. you can attack one with no others in sight, and see 5 or more come running from way out to aid the one you are fighting.

and the one you see in the field seems to aggro from at no less than 3 x's the range of any other mob

Default Re: Thornwood aggro range

Is it placed near Faffnir/gate to blights?
    I know there is a nice spawn point there.

Did not realize that anywhere else.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

They aren't social so they aren't calling any others. Their aggro radius is greater than most (which typically range from 20-24 meters), but not all mobs. At 32 meters its about the same as most Withered Aegis mobs.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

As a dragon, I have noticed that many of the travertine golems aggro on me at a little over 50 meters. I have also noticed that I am smallish for an ancient so might aggro be dependent on bounding box of the characters? If so I think mine is broken...

Ohhh nooo I broke my dragon ...AGAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    As a dragon, I have noticed that many of the travertine golems aggro on me at a little over 50 meters. I have also noticed that I am smallish for an ancient so might aggro be dependent on bounding box of the characters? If so I think mine is broken...

Ohhh nooo I broke me dragon ...AGAIN!!
    It might be a combination of that (I'm not entirely sure how the player's size is taken into account for aggro range calculation on the server). May also be the server adjusting the aggro range based upon level/rating differences. I would suspect bipeds with a high rating might experience a smaller aggro radius because of this.

I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

On a similar note, Marble Golems of both flavors have a much larger aggro range then others. They seem to key in on me from about 20-25 meters, while Mithril Boulder Golems don't aggro till about 7 meters. For reference, I have rating of 133 right now.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath View Post
    On a similar note, Marble Golems of both flavors have a much larger aggro range then others. They seem to key in on me from about 20-25 meters, while Mithril Boulder Golems don't aggro till about 7 meters. For reference, I have rating of 133 right now.
    This is by design. The reason is the environment that you find Marble Golems in versus Mithril Golems. Mithril Golems have a much smaller (and fixed) aggro radius because they are in narrow canyons and we wanted to prevent them from aggro'ing as often up onto the plateaus, while Marble Golems are in wider canyons that have more room in them.

Thornwood treants must have same friendship as all other istarian treants, as when one gets hit, any nearby turn to heal them. but in the case of the Thornwood, they come to heal then attack. so, they have to be similar in calling for help. but the range is way past most other aggroes i've seen in the game thus far.

and none are passive so they don't stand where they are and heal. they heal, then rush in to attack. but i have litterally seen them come from out of view, once i hit one. and run to attack my dragon, as he battles one lone treant in a field

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbin View Post
    Thornwood treants must have same friendship as all other istarian treants, as when one gets hit, any nearby turn to heal them. but in the case of the Thornwood, they come to heal then attack. so, they have to be similar in calling for help. but the range is way past most other aggroes i've seen in the game thus far.

and none are passive so they don't stand where they are and heal. they heal, then rush in to attack. but i have litterally seen them come from out of view, once i hit one. and run to attack my dragon, as he battles one lone treant in a field
    You do know that one of the largest organisms in the world is a grove of Aspen? Treants related?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbin View Post

This would indeed be a feat because they are not social, nor do they posses any heals. As I stated before, the most likely issue is simply that the radius is large to begin with and your rating is lower than their level and so the aggro range is increased further by the system.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    This would indeed be a feat because they are not social, nor do they posses any heals. As I stated before, the most likely issue is simply that the radius is large to begin with and your rating is lower than their level and so the aggro range is increased further by the system.
    are you saying none of the treants in the game, will heal another? they do heal themselves, whether or not the ability they use is actually called a heal or not i do not know for sure. but i do know the more treants in the area, the harder it is to kill them, as it seems they heal each other. i know this happens with other treants such as maple and yew.

when i hit a treant and it's life drops below 1/2 and jumps back to almost full. then i hit a few more times and it keeps jumping back up, they aren't healing? please explain how their health restores if it's not healing.

please explain this pic of the treants healing each other and themselves
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zorbin; October 28th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

treants are always casting branch regrowth and coming to anothers rescue but it seems only thornwood treants come and heal then attack

btw, my rating is 189

I'm sorry to say, that this is partly true. But i have several times when treant society has brought me down.

1. Once i bought a human, about rating 7, down into the Eastern Deadlands (a bit of fun, seeing what places i could bring her too). I was on the edge between the thornwood trees and the deadland. No Thornwood Treants of any type, not even a single mob was around. Then, suddenly, a Thornwood Treant came from the mountain behind her suddenly - From out of the range of my player - and obvisouly she died. The problem with that, is the aggro range was so huge in this case, that the treant attacked her, when it wasn't even in range. (p.s. the treants themselves, were about 10-15 metres away from the player range)

2. When my ancient dragon, was doing her dragons reach X quest, kill 30 thornwood treants...okay, i thought that might have been easy as long as i stayed away from the blight hounds and on the edge of the spawn...so i did that. First treant i pulled, the only one in sight/player range, was hard to kill. After pulling the sapling, suddenly, about 3 other treants came from out of range. After hitting, the one i meant to pull, with Gold Rage, it was back to full health because other Thornwoods healed it.

3. Thistleface. I went to kill Thistleface, for fun, before i started my ancient rites. It just so happened that he was alone, so after a few seconds, i went in to attack. Diving down on the treant, i hit it with Tail Whip, from that first hit, treants came out of nowhere. Over 100 meteres away, other Thornwood treants ran into battle, just because of my first hit on Thistle. So the new treants, healed thistle after my most powerful attacks, not even my Sheild of Gold could stand against the battering i took, but i did mange to kill it with Bite. But, the other treants had killed me and it was the bite effect on thistle that killed him. If that isn't social, then i don't know what is.

4. Again on my dragons reach X quest. This time, there was two treants in range, so i hit one when they were far apart. On that one hit, both rushed towards me (and another from beyond my range). After hitting the Massive Thornwood Treant i pulled, with Gold Rage, it use regrowth and gained most of its health back. After that, i had to survive three treants attacking me, since they aggro straight after healing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    I'm sorry to say, that this is partly true. But i have several times when treant society has brought me down.

1. Once i bought a human, about rating 7, down into the Eastern Deadlands (a bit of fun, seeing what places i could bring her too). I was on the edge between the thornwood trees and the deadland. No Thornwood Treants of any type, not even a single mob was around. Then, suddenly, a Thornwood Treant came from the mountain behind her suddenly - From out of the range of my player - and obvisouly she died. The problem with that, is the aggro range was so huge in this case, that the treant attacked her, when it wasn't even in range. (p.s. the treants themselves, were about 10-15 metres away from the player range)

2. When my ancient dragon, was doing her dragons reach X quest, kill 30 thornwood treants...okay, i thought that might have been easy as long as i stayed away from the blight hounds and on the edge of the spawn...so i did that. First treant i pulled, the only one in sight/player range, was hard to kill. After pulling the sapling, suddenly, about 3 other treants came from out of range. After hitting, the one i meant to pull, with Gold Rage, it was back to full health because other Thornwoods healed it.

3. Thistleface. I went to kill Thistleface, for fun, before i started my ancient rites. It just so happened that he was alone, so after a few seconds, i went in to attack. Diving down on the treant, i hit it with Tail Whip, from that first hit, treants came out of nowhere. Over 100 meteres away, other Thornwood treants ran into battle, just because of my first hit on Thistle. So the new treants, healed thistle after my most powerful attacks, not even my Sheild of Gold could stand against the battering i took, but i did mange to kill it with Bite. But, the other treants had killed me and it was the bite effect on thistle that killed him. If that isn't social, then i don't know what is.

4. Again on my dragons reach X quest. This time, there was two treants in range, so i hit one when they were far apart. On that one hit, both rushed towards me (and another from beyond my range). After hitting the Massive Thornwood Treant i pulled, with Gold Rage, it use regrowth and gained most of its health back. After that, i had to survive three treants attacking me, since they aggro straight after healing each other.
    All four examples you used can be easily explained by the aggro system. Thornwood Treants have a large radius to begin with and then in all cases you described the rating difference between the character and the Treant would cause the range to be increased by the system. Which could cause them to come "out of nowhere" to attack you and which I previously stated.

treants are always casting branch regrowth and coming to anothers rescue but it seems only thornwood treants come and heal then attack
    are you saying none of the treants in the game, will heal another? they do heal themselves, whether or not the ability they use is actually called a heal or not i do not know for sure. but i do know the more treants in the area, the harder it is to kill them, as it seems they heal each other. i know this happens with other treants such as maple and yew.
    I stand corrected, they do possess Branch Regrowth which is a friendly-target instant heal. They do not, however, possess any AI that lets them ask for heals so odd as it may sound they would simply use this ability on any target in range, regardless of the current health of that friendly target and regardless if it was a Treant or Skeleton or some other monster.

Anyway, I believe the OPs initial concerns have been addressed and questions answered. The radius will be reduced and "fixed" so it won't fluctuate based upon player rating in the next patch. Thank you all for your feedback.

Just to jump on this late... I think the problem may have been caused by them using their Branch Regrowth, as they head over to heal their com-padre, and then were being hurt by something (or simply now within range) thus jumping in... at least that's how it seems to work for the yews. Perhaps testing if Branch Regrowth was self only would clarify that?
    Last edited by hallucin8; November 9th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Amon, can you please check the agro range for Faffnir too (eventually for all blight hounds)?
    In more than one occasion (not sure about the trigger) I had Faffnir sprinting to attack me from beyond the horizon - i did check - he was no where in visual range or in Cycle target (F11) range.
    It happened to both my Ancient Dragon and to my biped with a rating of about 135.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

hmm just tested hounds and Faffnir- nothing wrong in my eyes.

They are fast- ok- but thats like its always been.
    Nothing wrong with range either.
    Fanfnir always comes with 2 blighthounds,
    you will have them in target first, before you can target him.
    you have to KNOW that its him in the middle (he is a bit bigger- hard to target though)
    Maybe thats the prob.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

As I said, I don't know what is triggering this behavior. Most of the time I see him patrolling with 1-2 buddies as usual and they're easily avoidable. But it happened (twice or even 3 times) that i was minding my own business in the area SW of Harro, outside his patrol route, then I see him homing on my toon like a ballistic missile from way beyond horizon.
    It was not the regular behavior when he's patroling, he agroes you, then he sprints to attack. No. He was just homing on me at maximum speed.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

i get same problems from time to time with bosses. it's far and few between so makes it hard to duplicate. hope they find something

Thread Information