Thread: Istaria on a SSD drive?

Arrow Istaria on a SSD drive?

Hey all,

I just bought me a new computer, one with a SSD drive. Now I wonder if installing Istaria on that drive is something good.

Not because of the weekly updates. I'm concerned about the world cache.

There are several thousand files which are written or changed more often and as far as I know this isn't really healthy for the lifespan of a SSD drive.

So... should I link the worldcache to another non-SSD drive? Would make that via a symbolic link (that works, have tested it on XP already)

Default Re: Istaria on a SSD drive?

The SSD drives constantly read and write as you use your PC. Since each block of space has a limited lifetime (e.g. 10000 writes) the drives tend to rotate the space and try not to use the same space for a while. How often this rotation has to reuse the same drive block depends on how full your drive is. A 240GB SSD with only 50GB of stuff and windows on it should last longer than a 60GB with 50GB of stuff and windows.

So basically, keep the storage space below 65% and a good-quality SSD (Intel, Corsair, Kingston) will last atleast 5 years. HDD's have limited read/write lifetime aswell but the info isn't released. In the end, I wouldn't worry about wearing out your SSD as long as you dont fill it up too much.
    Last edited by GlindorOcculus; December 19th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

I'm running Istaria from a SSD since i've started in september 2011. Mind you, I have 2 installments of the game - one for each account i'm using.
    No issues here. I didn't noticed any significant, out of the ordinary, raises of the MWI.

So I'd say you are perfectly safe
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    I'm running Istaria from a SSD since i've started in september 2011. Mind you, I have 2 installments of the game - one for each account i'm using.
    No issues here. I didn't noticed any significant, out of the ordinary, raises of the MWI.

So I'd say you are perfectly safe
    Northind, will you please comment as to gameplay on the SSD compared to the HD installations?

Knossos

Istaria has all game assets stored in separate files. SSD drives can find files on" disk" much faster than a regular hard drive. With Istaria, you will find less hitching when entering a new area or when new monsters come into view. Your experience will depend on processor / chip set / other hardware components, but you will have an improvement with SSD.

Yfelvik
    - Istaria Customer Support

always keep a backup of everything on a usb drive or something other than SSd, as they are highly unreliable.
    Prefs folder is most important to keep backed up fresh, when making changes

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Northind, will you please comment as to gameplay on the SSD compared to the HD installations?
    Knossos
    Well, granted it is faster. Port times and all that involves accessing all those small files that makes Istaria what it is.
    It could still be waaaay faster, but well...
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information