Thread: Ethereal spells vs non-ethereal spells

Question Ethereal spells vs non-ethereal spells

Greetings fellow istarians.

There's something that's been bugging me for a while: do ethereal spells have a naturally higher chance to hit than non-ethereal ones, or do mobs have separate evasion stats for each? Because my spirit bolts, leeches and blood bolts hit like 90%-98% of the time, depending on the mob, while my thefts of life have at most 60% accuracy.

The values vary according to level and mob type. For example, a dire wolf dodges about 6% of my ethereal spells and 40% of the other types. If I change my target to say, a myloc gatherer, my bolts and leeches rarely miss (~98% hit chance), but my other spells are unreliable (~20% hit chance).

My current spirit skill is 1413.

Default Re: Ethereal spells vs non-ethereal spells

Once you are higher level, you will see a change.

Spirit spells aren't necessarily Ethereal. Something with direct damage can be thought of as Ethereal like. I think the dots are Ethereal (Ethereal Leech, Ethereal Paroxysm).

Your skill is pretty high, only epic mobs will give you troubles with hit.

The differences in hit are with the mobs spirit resist and wards. Different mobs have different resists, as well as different vulnerabilities. And for your Ethereal spells/dots, that's a seperate armor value.

what guaran said about differnet armour values means ethreal often has the upper hand - as it uses a differnet armour value which not alot of mobs have up to a good standard.
    the spell itself however, it still spirit damage (Ethereal spirit damage), so still uses magic evasion and wards.

What OP is saying is that between his Spirit Spells (and abilities) that are doing Ethereal damage and his Spirit Spells that are doing spirit damage there is a visible difference in hit ratio. Not damage. Hit ratio.

Armor doesn't affect hit ratio, only the damage. Spirit resistance doesn't affect hit ratio, only damage.
    The only thing that affects hit ratio is (Magic) evasion and wards. The implication is that none of those (evasion/wards) are affecting ethereal damage?
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    The implication is that none of those (evasion/wards) are affecting ethereal damage?
    But it should, right?

No, since it is ethereal. The only mean to defend against ethereal damage is ethereal armor.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    What OP is saying is that between his Spirit Spells (and abilities) that are doing Ethereal damage and his Spirit Spells that are doing spirit damage there is a visible difference in hit ratio. Not damage. Hit ratio.

Armor doesn't affect hit ratio, only the damage. Spirit resistance doesn't affect hit ratio, only damage.
    The only thing that affects hit ratio is (Magic) evasion and wards. The implication is that none of those (evasion/wards) are affecting ethereal damage?
    Anything that says it does "Direct" damage, will bypass the resists, wards, and armors. This likely affects the hit chance as well, since most of these types of damage come from say the effect from a socketed crystal like the Radiant Lacerating whatever, which say the damage is direct. The "chance" isn't controlled in the same way as normal attacks because it's already only at 5% chance to land to begin with. Having an additional chance to evade would decrease their usefulness. I believe some of the spells in question do say (Direct) in the description. It's likely this way on purpose so that the Spiritist is a viable school.

So it is actually a comparison of (Direct) damage vs everything else.

Thread Information