Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Player Impressions

Default Re: New Player Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I checked out Frelic on NT and he was missing the Refurb Long Sword. However, he does carry some Level 5 Refurbished weapons including a Refurb Bronze Maul which is usable by a Cleric.[/COLOR]
    The maul is 2-handed though, right?

Shouldn't he also have a 1-handed Lv5 weapon (the Warhammer)? Unless I'm just blind. I'll check it when I log on here in a bit but I don't remember seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    The maul is 2-handed though, right?

Shouldn't he also have a 1-handed Lv5 weapon (the Warhammer)? Unless I'm just blind. I'll check it when I log on here in a bit but I don't remember seeing it.
    Ah, right, my mistake. You are correct, should be a Warhammer, not a Maul.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Khalon View Post
    Dhalin, you might also try checking the NT connie a little more often. I know many of us older players periodically stock the NT connie with things like fine weapons & shields, plate armor sets, jewelry, spells, etc. We did go through a "dry spell" recently where there wasn't much for sale for about 10 days or so, so I can understand a good bit of your frustration. Chasing is really nice about putting tons of newbie forms on that connie too, if you prefer to craft your own .
    The beginner formulas that I put on the NT connie periodically are from mass opening of the mystery boxes from Dalimond vendor.

Spend 5+ Gold to get around 1000 beginner formulas (boxes are 5s each if I remember correctly). I then relist them on the NT connie for 750cc each (Don't make any profit and the prices are high enough for other players to undercut).

It's the easiest way I've found to 'farm' beginner formulas.

The reason I do this is that the drop rate of beginner formulas is too restrictive - not enough mobs that drop formulas, time it takes for a player to loot a quantity of beginner formulas is frustrating.

Bear in mind that when I've tried to loot/grind beginner formulas from mobs it is using a lvl 100 character. I actually think its easier to loot expert formulas compared to beginner forms.

To hook a new player, it should be easier at lower level and gradually get harder as they progress up the tiers. At the moment I think its back to front. It's easier at higher level, harder at low level.

In my opinion having the undead drop crystals, forms and techs on New Trismus would be entirely useless. It would clutter the loot tables by having items that players would not use or would not know how to use. I will take a look at them, but I believe the best things for them to drop would be refurb equipment and junk loot that can be sold for coin.
    The playerbase uses the NT connie as a focal point for selling goods from all tiers (you can list more on an imperial connie than a player built one). So its already cluttered with items that new players may not be able to use, but other players that visit NT can use.

Chicken -> Egg, (Egg -> Chicken?). Junk loot is not much use if there isn't a sufficient pool of looted t1 forms/techs to spend the money on.

We're certainly open to constructive feedback on the islands and introductory game. We're not trying to run off non-Dragons. In fact, we would prefer if more people took advantage of the f2p portion of the game, enjoyed themselves, got hooked, and bought a sub to try out other parts of the game.
    The F2P subscription limits to 10 consigner slots. So even if a new player on a F2P sub had items they wanted to sell to make money, they are capped. Probably more likely to pawn anything they loot (if they don't scribe use it themselves) instead of list on a consigner.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

The F2P subscription limits to 10 consigner slots. So even if a new player on a F2P sub had items they wanted to sell to make money, they are capped. Probably more likely to pawn anything they loot (if they don't scribe use it themselves) instead of list on a consigner.
    I feel kinda bad for this, but I must have pawned some 20k worth of Dragon Hoard items because I simply don't have room to stick it in my vault, I don't have time to ask if anybody wants it (and spend 10+ minutes waiting for a response) and I don't want to consign it given I only have 10 slots.

So I just pawned it to get on my way faster.

The reason I do this is that the drop rate of beginner formulas is too restrictive - not enough mobs that drop formulas, time it takes for a player to loot a quantity of beginner formulas is frustrating.
    From what I was told/what I've seen.....

0 Mobs on NT drop forms/techs.
    On LA, only Sand Ogres/Pygmies (and the WA mobs) drop forms/techs.

No character leveling wants to fight WA unless they absolutely must for quests, and even then at low level you're probably better off waiting until you outlevel them by at least 10 levels due to just how much they hurt and how densely packed the mobs are.

Sand Ogres/Pygmies are oftentimes horrible to fight for much of the same reasons: too high of a density, so....... that's the ONLY way crafters can get forms (other than the 5s boxes)? I'd have to agree that this is a bit restrictive. And even then the forms you get are entirely random, if you even get a form on a kill which you might not.

Chasing makes some pretty good points, though I must ask:

Where/How do you get these Mystery Boxes and how much do they cost? That must be a new thing; there wasn't anything like that I know of when I last played.

Oh, and thanks for putting those on the connie! I haven't seen the ones I've been looking for recently, but I'll keep checking!

EDIT: Derp, I fail at reading... I guess you did say 5s if you remember. Ouch. 5s for 5 random forms?
    Last edited by Dhalin; April 4th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

I would like to point out that there are formulas available directly for purchase from trainers. It is only if you want to make items that aren't sold directly that you would need to either purchase Mystery Boxes (Dalimond or New Rachival) or hunt them on monsters. For the record, monsters that drop formula are: Chests, Semi-Intelligents (Ogres, Pygmies, Skulk, etc) and Undead (Skeletons, Mummies, Wraith, etc). Formulas are considered rare drops so only mobs within the upper-half of the Tier will have a chance to drop them.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I would like to point out that there are formulas available directly for purchase from trainers. It is only if you want to make items that aren't sold directly that you would need to either purchase Mystery Boxes (Dalimond or New Rachival) or hunt them on monsters. For the record, monsters that drop formula are: Chests, Semi-Intelligents (Ogres, Pygmies, Skulk, etc) and Undead (Skeletons, Mummies, Wraith, etc). Formulas are considered rare drops so only mobs within the upper-half of the Tier will have a chance to drop them.
    We are aware of this, yes...

But what Chasing (and I agree) are saying, is... couldn't you relax the rules just a little for just the beginner recipes, seeing as trying to fight Upper-Tier semi-intelligents is actually fairly hard to do at that level?

Having J-man and Expert forms being hard to get is fine, but to be honest, I think the Beginner recipes being so difficult to get is honestly making it hard for new players to start and enjoy the game when they can't get very many crafting forms.

Yes, there are forms sold on trainers, but only the weakest gear you can possibly use (no scale, only ring, no plate, only chain for example).

And expecting all new players to fight highly social and very dangerous mobs just to be able to craft (what if they're not interested in adventure? What if they're trying to craft just to make themselves some gear _to_ adventure?) I'm not sure is such a good idea.

And the Mystery Boxes... well, to be honest.... without being a good adventurer, how is a low-level person supposed to get hundreds of silver (or more if you are incredibly unlucky) it might take to get the form they actually needed (the pawnbroker nerf a long time ago seriously hurts a crafter's ability to make money, for example)? Do the boxes have a higher chance to drop forms for your current school or is it completely random? etc?

Not sure of a perfect solution here. There is a lack of monsters in T1 that can drop formulas. Could add more to sell, but which ones is also an issue. Could make all forms in the "lower half" available for sale I guess.

Not sure of a perfect solution here. There is a lack of monsters in T1 that can drop formulas. Could add more to sell, but which ones is also an issue. Could make all forms in the "lower half" available for sale I guess.
    Could find some big open areas that have very little in them and stick some t1 mobs around that can drop formulas too, assuming you can find a suitable place to do so, that is.

Having a few more forms for sale would be a nice start too! Even if it is only the first-half like you mentioned. It'd at least allow people to make the gear to get up to Lv10+ so they can start farming mobs for form drops.

UPDATE:

Figured out what was causing some of the weapon confusion.

Here, I didn't know this (perhaps this is something that could be looked into too?) but apparently the Blacksmith Trainer in NT does teach you the Long Sword, Warhammer, Cudgel, and Longbow recipes.

For some odd reason, I was only Level 8 when I exhausted his quests, and he will not give the new quests until you are Level 9 and I didn't know this.

So I suppose there are ways to get enough weapons to last you until Level 15, depending on what adventure school you're trying to level.

Just thought it kinda odd that I somehow fell short of getting the next few quests once I finished the first batch. I don't remember that happening before. Oh well.

Thread Information