Thread: Name violations

Default Name violations

I was the target of a name violation nazi this last week. Names I had since almost the beginning of the game are not allowed to be used. Simple name as Chillin` was not allowed because quote "sounds like an english word".

There are names on all shards that never should have been allowed even trademarked names. Yet those names are going to be allowed.

Favoritism of some players should not be allowed. If the developers are really interested in name violations then they should go after all name violators and not single out players that have become victims of harrassing name nazis.

Only name I have posted in this post is one of my own characters. I am not going to point out any name of any other players.

Default Re: Name violations

Chillin' may sound as a freezing wind as well.
    Personally i see no issues with this name.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

It depends which server board I think is which.

"Chillin'" is slang for "chilling out" or "relaxing", so I see where the problem is.

I'm not too surprised by that, but I'd more expect Chugga's name to be reported than Chillin. (Not suggesting it should, though)

Though favoritism is not in play here. The devs react to reports of name violations and do not often try to go into the game and sort through name violations themselves. The names they ask to be changed are reported to them by players who find a problem with them. That is in no way favoritism.

wow really, people make a fuss about names that "sound english"? geeze.

personally I have no problem with names, as long as they aren't inapropriate content or trademarked....or like this: xXbowmasterultral33tXx or [insert random name here with l33tspeak and too much X's], not that I'd report people that use those kinda names, it's just, ugh, they annoy me so.

I'm really interested about what rule exactly was broken. Reading the name policies rules I can't find the rule: Thou name shall not sound like an english word.
    Character Naming

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

It depends which server board I think is which.

It's in the role-playing policy.
    "Names cannot be phrases. Examples include “Iam aBigDragon,” “Vampiric Embrace,” “PussNBoots,” etc. Original roleplaying monikers and names, such as “Jeron Windwalker” or “Viktor Wolfslayer” are acceptable."

"Names must fit within the fantasy world of Istaria. Any name in reference to the modern-day (“George Dubya”) or another roleplaying genre (“Luke Lightsaber”) that does not belong in a medieval, fantasy-themed world will be changed."

If anything, it goes underneath the fitting in fantasy world settings part. "Chillin'", being an English modern-day slang word to some people, can be considered as unfitting.

I'm not going to argue with you because you don't make the rules but really this is too weird for words.

So, appearantly to some people it is not allowed in a fantasy medieval world to refer to relax and do nothing because that is too modern. (and that's only if you interpreted it as "chillin" in that sense) What's going on in those minds I wonder.

This world and its people don't stop to amaze me.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

REaly?! Yeesh! I`d see if you named a character after another game`s character, and RPed them AS that character e.g. Spyro but a phrase like Chillin` isn`t even offensive. Sure some oddball names may seem like "Wow.. realy? couldn`t you be a little more original?" But I never complain to the devs about names. Only way I would is if it were something volgar like a sexual term, or obscenity.

Folks,

As has been said, we only respond to specific reports... we don't go looking for name violations.

If you have a problem with a particular name on the shard on which you play, please report it to us via the support system and we will review.

Closing this thread, however, because it has become nothing but "developer bashing", and we don't need that.

Thread Information