Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revised Default Key-bindings

Default Revised Default Key-bindings

Hello everyone!

We have recently reviewed the default key bindings and would appreciate your feedback. Please bear in mind, these changes will not effect your custom bindings.

Code:
    ACTION                         Original Binding       New Binding
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Step Left                      [                      Q
    Step Right                     ]                      E
    Up/Jump                        Q                      SPACE
    Recall                                                TILDE(~)
    Stop Action                    SPACE                  \
    Assist Target                                         [
    Defend Target                                         ]
    Select Self                    F9                     F1
    Select Group Member 1          F1                     F2
    Select Group Member 2          F2                     F3
    Select Group Member 3          F3                     F4
    Select Group Member 4          F4                     F5
    Select Group Member 5          F5                     F6
    Select Group Member 6          F6                     F7
    Select Group Member 7          F7                     F8
    Select Group Member 8          F8                     F9
    Mouse Look Hold                Mouse Middle           Keypad_7 Mouse_Right
    Mouse Look Toggle                                     Keypad_9 Mouse_Middle
    Free Look Hold                 TILDE(~)               Keypad_1 Mouse_Left
    Free Look Toggle                                      Keypad_3
    Recenter Camera Behind Char    Keypad_5               Keypad_0
    Lock Camera Position           L                      Keypad_5
    Equipment Window               E                      CTRL + E
    Chat Window                    H                      CTRL + C
    Next Chat Window               ALT + W                CTRL + "
    Previous Chat Window           ALT + Q                CTRL + ;
    Next Chat Tab                  ALT + S                ALT + "
    Previous Chat Tab              ALT + A                ALT + ;
    Guild Window                   G                      ALT + G
    Spell Book                     B                      CTRL + S
    Formula Book                   F                      CTRL + F
    Launch Menu                    CTRL + TAB             ESC
    Quest Log                      CTRL + Q               L
    Notepad                        CTRL + N               N
    Start Text Entry               Enter Slash            Enter
    Close Last Window                                     ,
    Show All Tool-tips                                    .
    Toggle Interface                                      SLASH
    Cargo Disk (Attach / Detach)                          ALT + C
    A couple points worth noting:
    • Right-clicking would serve a dual purpose as both the pop-up window modifier and the "Mouse Look" hold
    • Left-clicking would be redesigned to perform "Free Look Around Character" when interacting with the UI, while retaining its original functions

Default Re: Revised Default Key-bindings

That's nice, but i do have some comments.
    I would probably revert in a blink of an eye to the 'old' bindings for Equipment (E), Character (C - is this missing?), Guild (G), Spell (B), Formula (B) as I found that I use those a lot and I like to have them easily accessible at the press of a single key.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

My question is...why change the default settings in the first place? Except for new players, the settings have worked fine several several years now, people are used to them, and as pointed out - people can set and change them to their own likings.

I would also not give recall a default key-binding...in the heat of the moment it would be too easy to accidently trigger it and the interuption in finding out why something isn't working...could end up with accidental death.

I would also not change the 'recenter' key from it's current numpad-5. I've done no changes to mine key-bindings and especially on my dragon, num 2, 4, 6, and 8 are great for looking around without affecting flight height or direction and five is right in the middle for a quick and obvious recentering.

I also have to question adding a second key to the more commonly accessed windows - those being E, G, B and F - though I do agree with it on locking the camera as I often find myself accidently hitting 'L' in the middle of something and eveyrthing goes out the window then.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Lots of discussion of this subject in a now closed "Talk to the Team" thread:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t-Key-bindings

Knossos

i would instantly revert to the 'old' defeault key bindings - they have worked fine for me. Espeially as this would change the keys for the common windows - E, G, F/K, and F9 (i say F9 - it's not a window but certainly a commonly pressed key). Why change them? They are veyr conveniet and make sense...
    changing the recenter and lock camera i also don't understand...it makes sense if 4,6,8 and 2 on numpad toggle up/down/sideways, for recenter to then be 5.
    and toggle interface...no. no no no. i don't want to have to tell newbies who acidently press it that they pressed that key - wait, they wouldn't hear me without an interface.
    and the start text entry...that already is enter for me. i think this needs to be changed. i press enter to easily, not notice them spam some poor channel with lots of letters - those in MP have probably already seen my random +'s and -'s at times when i've tried to change camera but not noticed pressing enter.
    and changing jump to space...it's debatable wether this should be - lots of other games use it, why not this one? but i would change this back to Q purely out of being so used to pressing Q. in turn keeping sidestep as other keys for me.

They're changing them because the Old Keybindings are so wildly different from Today's MMORPGs that people coming in from, say, WoW and the like are quite confused by the default keybindings because a lot of them make no sense.

For example, every other MMORPG has Jump as the Spacebar. Istaria? Nope, that's Q by default.

Most MMORPGs use WASD with Q/E for strafing. Istaria? Nope. You're going to either jump or open your equipment window if you try to strafe something (not that you need to, but people are surely used to doing it in other MMORPGs).

We want people to have a control system that makes sense compared to the other MMORPGs on the market today to make it easier for a new player to get into, and enjoy, Istaria.

Some of the older Istarian Vets are used to a certain keybinding scheme? That's fine, that's why you can easily modify it to suit your needs. Nobody is saying you must do it this way.

EDIT: I do, however, HIGHLY agree with the sentiment about the default command for hiding the interface. Bad, bad idea. Allow us the option to set a key to do that but leave it unbound by default. Last thing we need is someone to bump the slash button and be unable to do anything in the game until they figure out what key they hit.

My current key-bindings have Q/Space reversed and also right/middle click. I know, it is a bit odd to open menus with middle click but is easier to run/fly with right click pressed than with the middle one.

I do like the proposed changes to left/right click
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Close Last Window ,
    Quest Log L
    Notepad N
    I would find the above bindings extremely annoying. I'll often end up hitting un-modified keys after forgetting to go into text entry mode. Consider a "cat test": are these bindings resistant to a cat walking across the keyboard?

As far as the idea of changing keyboard and mouse bindings, that's fine for new players, though please make sure that existing players on a new installation have the ability to easily load the old (existing) bindings.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I would find the above bindings extremely annoying. I'll often end up hitting un-modified keys after forgetting to go into text entry mode. Consider a "cat test": are these bindings resistant to a cat walking across the keyboard?
    No matter what, a cat walking across your keyboard is going to cause bad things to happen. That's why you don't let cats walk on your keyboard while you play games. Not sure why we need a "Close Last Window" button, but L for the Quest Log is fairly standard for games from what I've seen, and N for Notepad makes logical sense.

As far as the idea of changing keyboard and mouse bindings, that's fine for new players, though please make sure that existing players on a new installation have the ability to easily load the old (existing) bindings.
    Errr, he already said so:

Please bear in mind, these changes will not effect your custom bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    No matter what, a cat walking across your keyboard is going to cause bad things to happen.
    Well, yeah, but you can set up the key bindings in a manner that reduces the chances of your UI filling with crap when it happens. Besides, cats walking on keyboards isn't my problem -- it's just a test. The real annoyance comes from having my UI fill with crap when I start chatting outside of text entry mode.

Errr, he already said so:
    Not quite. That statement is that your customized key bindings will not get changed -- implying that you have an existing prefs directory for a character that you have already played with. I'm asking for the ability to restore or pre-load the current defaults instead of the proposed defaults when starting from a freshly installed client or new character.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I'm asking for the ability to restore or pre-load the current defaults instead of the proposed defaults when starting from a freshly installed client or new character.
    I could be wrong, but I thought that when the idea of changing the default key bindings was originally brought up in another thread, it was generally understood that we older players would have the option to switch back to the original default? Well, I guess I'll have to save a copy of my key current key bindings someplace so I have them if I ever need to reinstall.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    Well, I guess I'll have to save a copy of my key current key bindings someplace so I have them if I ever need to reinstall.
    i'm...terrible; with this kind of stuff , so what file do we need keep a back up of?
    /creates too many characters so really should back up her main's map, hotkeys and key bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    so what file do we need keep a back up of?
    Grab the entire prefs directory; and optionally your resources_override directory, if it's not empty.

Grab the entire prefs directory; and optionally your resources_override directory, if it's not empty.
    Thanks Steelclaw!
    i can create new chars happily now~

The idea behind them is that it brings them into line with the majority of other MMOs. These are the default keybindings and would not alter any existing player's bindings unless you reset your preferences. But new players joining the game would find it much easier to transition from other major MMOs as far as keybindings goes.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Right on. Looks good to me... Funny thing is, the new bindings is what 95% of mine are set to anyways, even down to middle mouse click for mouse look toggle. You sure you guys aint looking at my computer, haha.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The idea behind them is that it brings them into line with the majority of other MMOs. These are the default keybindings and would not alter any existing player's bindings unless you reset your preferences. But new players joining the game would find it much easier to transition from other major MMOs as far as keybindings goes.
    But as Steelclaw brought up, there are some of us (myself for example) that have never played any other game, nor will (I) play another game. Therefore, when I build a new computer and put a new install of Istaria onto said new computer, I (and others like Steelclaw) would like the option to have all the DEFAULT keybindings the exact same as they are now. Like a button to return them to Classic or somesuch.

Now, I do recall the original thread on this topic in fact did say that the option to keep and restore original Default keybindings would be there. So, going forward, an assurance that we will be able to keep the original default keys without having to remember and remap them, would be appreciated.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    But as Steelclaw brought up, there are some of us (myself for example) that have never played any other game, nor will (I) play another game. Therefore, when I build a new computer and put a new install of Istaria onto said new computer, I (and others like Steelclaw) would like the option to have all the DEFAULT keybindings the exact same as they are now. Like a button to return them to Classic or somesuch.

Now, I do recall the original thread on this topic in fact did say that the option to keep and restore original Default keybindings would be there. So, going forward, an assurance that we will be able to keep the original default keys without having to remember and remap them, would be appreciated.
    Very true... However, as we have pointed out, this would not alter existing keybindings. It is only there for new bindings or if you reset your bindings the defaults.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Very true... However, as we have pointed out, this would not alter existing keybindings. It is only there for new bindings or if you reset your bindings the defaults.
    I think they're more asking "what happens if my computer goes kaput and I have to reinstall the game?"

Maybe someone could save the old default .pref file so they could at least swap it in that way?

Mouse look stuff has always confused me, I just know the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) is pure evil for a flying dragon and don't touch it! Will the changes proposed make me fear some other key now? (Somewhat off topic but could the default setting for flying/gliding when falling be set to on instead of off. Confuses the heck out of new players who fall like a rock when they are first trying to glide their hatchling.)

Thread Information