Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Greenlight

Default Steam Greenlight

Woot, I will be upvoting for this, good luck! Unfortunately, the link appears to be broken on the announcement page, though I suspect this is something wrong with Steam... which is somewhat concerning. Having played other games via Steam (CS mostly), it was always reliable so I hope this is still the case. Of course the login and accounts would still be handled by this lovely dev team and servers, so I assume there wouldn't be any reliability issues? Fingers crossed, whether this goes a head or not, we may see a jump in newbies gracing our shores.

Not sure if it's possible, but the Steam Greenlight page could really do with some links to references, at least the forums or something.

Happy huntings, see yas in Istaria
    Last edited by hallucin8; April 24th, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Default Re: Steam Greenlight

If this just spreads the word of Istaria I'm all for it. But if it is like a growing number of games that require an open connection and log-in to steam to play - NO - I will be leaving Istaria forthwith. Steam imo is the worst thing to happen to gaming in general and a bane on stand alone games. I used to love the Civilization line of games but stopped playing with Civ V because of Steam and probably won't be playing the new SimCity either if it relies on Steam as well...hinted at but not confirmed in the story I read.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    If this just spreads the word of Istaria I'm all for it. But if it is like a growing number of games that require an open connection and log-in to steam to play - NO - I will be leaving Istaria forthwith. Steam imo is the worst thing to happen to gaming in general and a bane on stand alone games. I used to love the Civilization line of games but stopped playing with Civ V because of Steam and probably won't be playing the new SimCity either if it relies on Steam as well...hinted at but not confirmed in the story I read.
    agreed. if goes to steam, i'm gone

I checked with the developers and Steam will not be a mandatory requirement to play Istaria.

Yfelvik
    - Istaria Customer Support

yes, ty, and I also saw Velea's response. so that is good news

It depends which server board I think is which.

What's so wrong with steam? I have it up 24/7 and play many games through it, and can easily dual log in Istaria with it up for hours. I've also had steam for years and it's given me no problems.

I think Steam Greenlight's a great idea, but I myself still am certainly glad Steam isn't mandatory for Istaria. Can never find the darn screenshot folders in Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    What's so wrong with steam? I have it up 24/7 and play many games through it, and can easily dual log in Istaria with it up for hours. I've also had steam for years and it's given me no problems.

I think Steam Greenlight's a great idea, but I myself still am certainly glad Steam isn't mandatory for Istaria. Can never find the darn screenshot folders in Steam.
    And its mining your data 24/7 but thats neither hear nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    I checked with the developers and Steam will not be a mandatory requirement to play Istaria.

Yfelvik
    - Istaria Customer Support
    That's great news , Looks like epi will still be hear till the lights go out as long as steam dose not take over . Now Yfelvik what about that other source of advertisement I mentioned in the now Locked post a simple reply saying that its not the case would have sufficed Do you still want me to keep trying ?
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I am totally for this!

and racky; quite alot is wrong with steam for some computers.
    for example; my brother's laptop doesn't even connect to steam...ever, while it can connect with the rest of the internet just fine.
    then theres the lag-creating-memory-eating-ness that it can create for some computers.

Whose Idea was to put Istaria on Steam? You need to seriously reconsider.
    Seriously you put Istaria on Steam, and I will be your worst nightmare. Steam is a program that steals your data, it can steal personal data like to what business you work at, where you live, that sort.
    I understand you want more players to play istaria, but this is not the way to go. You will lose a lot of players if you put Istaria on steam.
    Now I may seem like a noob, that doesn't know anything but steam is not the right place to go to get more players. I know I know, but don't put istaria on steam. Please!
    Rawr!???

Wow, the tinfoil hatting going on here.... Oi.

Steam is a program that MILLIONS of people use. If it was really THAT evil (seriously, calling it a virus? lol), then surely it would have been front-page news by now.

It "steals your data"?

Hardly.

If it actually did that, Valve would be facing fines from the government. The only thing Steam "collects" data-wise, is information about your computer (which is anonymous) -- your CPU type/size, RAM size, GPU type/size, etc for purposes of allowing game developers to see how many people have up to date computers and how many don't and similar purposes.

We're talking about an App designed by a very well-known developer (again, Valve) and said app is installed on Millions of computers world-wide. If it really did any of the evil stuff people claim it does, the government would very much be involved by now and fines would be happening.

Not to mention, if it were really Mal-Ware, don't you think Microsoft would provide tools to remove it? Don't you think it'd be blasted on every Antivirus website?

Seriously, now.

Common sense, people. I know it is easy to go the tinfoil hat way and it is easy to get all paranoid when paranoia is everywhere IRL, but Steam isn't evil as everybody makes it out to be.

Both Yfelvik and Amarie have come out right directly said that Steam WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO PLAY ISTARIA more than once.

Don't like Steam? Don't use it.

But advertising Istaria on Steam and making it available through Steam will give us a LOT of publicity which we sorely need.

EDIT: BTW, don't believe me?

When you actually go to install Steam, you are not required to enter any personal data whatsoever unless you make a credit card purchase. There are many Free-to-Play games (Warframe comes to mind). If they really were trying to steal your personal data, the best they could do, is log your IP address and what ISP you use.

To think that it data-mines your computer for other data is A). Ludicrous, and B). If it actually did that, everybody would know about it by now.

http://imgur.com/SDpY5NK

I cant even use Steam any more as it Conflixcts with my Anti-virus and most of my games I cant play Skyrim anymore because of it.. its error...... So here i left a screenshot of the problem and the red lining will show there''Data collection'' Pollicy.. so.. steams a little more like a Maxas spore thing... with its Spying on you and taking your data from you is sorta true. Its also a multi-milliondallior place so.. thats why there say.. STILL up and running.. But im happyto hear Istarias only advertiseing the game.. Steams uninstalled.. andmy computer is hella faster.. 40% faster now >> so i do beleave it dose do back ground things without you knowing....
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

http://imgur.com/SDpY5NK

I cant even use Steam any more as it Conflixcts with my Anti-virus and most of my games I cant play Skyrim anymore because of it.. its error...... So here i left a screenshot of the problem and the red lining will show there''Data collection'' Pollicy.. so.. steams a little more like a Maxas spore thing... with its Spying on you and taking your data from you is sorta true. Its also a multi-milliondallior place so.. thats why there say.. STILL up and running.. But im happyto hear Istarias only advertiseing the game.. Steams uninstalled.. andmy computer is hella faster.. 40% faster now >> so i do beleave it dose do back ground things without you knowing....
    Data Collection Policy? Every company has that. That doesn't mean they illegally steal your data. Wanna know Steam's?

http://store.steampowered.com/privacy_agreement/

There you go.

I'll quote a few snippets:

Valve will not share personally identifying information with third parties for marketing purposes. Valve may use personally identifying information provided by users to send information about Valve, including news about product updates, contests, events, and other promotional materials, but only if the users agree to receive such communications.
    So basically, they only collect/use personal info when it is necessary, for things like credit card transactions, or delivery of service (some MMOs need this information, for example). They will not mine your data for marketing purposes.

In some situations, personally identifiable information that users input in connection with their use of Steam may be available to other users of Steam. For example, during the creation of a Steam account, Valve collects a user's email address and username, and at the user's option, first and last name. Some of this information is searchable and available to other users within Steam. Valve has no obligation to keep private personally identifiable information that a user makes available to other users via Steam or other Valve software, such as in multiplayer chat or other public functions.
    Other users can see your data, only if you allow them to.

So there you have it.

As for Steam Problems on your computer, I have 3 current computers, and I've used Steam on at least 3 previous computer setups. Not a single one ever crashed, and I haven't noticed any sort of slow-downs or lag caused by Steam.

I am sorry to hear it won't work on your computer, but it is honestly just that: You have a software problem of some sort on your computer, because it works fine on my computers and I've several Steam friends who have no problems on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphiner View Post
    Whose Idea was to put Istaria on Steam? You need to seriously reconsider.
    Seriously you put Istaria on Steam, and I will be your worst nightmare. Steam is a program that steals your data, it can steal personal data like to what business you work at, where you live, that sort.
    I understand you want more players to play istaria, but this is not the way to go. You will lose a lot of players if you put Istaria on steam.
    Now I may seem like a noob, that doesn't know anything but steam is not the right place to go to get more players. I know I know, but don't put istaria on steam. Please!
    Please pay attention to the thread comments: quote from Velea: There is nothing that even remotely suggests that Steam would be used to access the game.

Yes, we are now listed on Steam and trying to get promoted on there so that it will be an OPTION for downloading the game, that is all.

Quote Yfelvik: I checked with the developers and Steam will not be a mandatory requirement to play Istaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    There is nothing that even remotely suggests that Steam would be used to access the game.
    Yes, we are now listed on Steam and trying to get promoted on there so that it will be an OPTION for downloading the game, that is all.
    Quote Yfelvik: I checked with the developers and Steam will not be a mandatory requirement to play Istaria.
    Okay well then, keep that in mind for future references.

*Swats the Sslik playfully*
    Rawr!???

I'll ask and see if Yfelvik can post a FAQ about this announcement, where the answers aren't buried in a thread.

In the mean time, please refrain from spreading FUD. To do so is irresponsible, as it creates lots of unnecessary anxiety and tension. If you're going to debate the legitimacy of Steam, then please, at least use factual, non-circumstantial, non-anecdotal evidence. "Bad stuff happened to me when I used it" does not qualify. However, a link to a policy, technical analysis of the program's interaction with the OS, or analysis of network traffic would be very informative.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I'll ask and see if Yfelvik can post a FAQ about this announcement, where the answers aren't buried in a thread.

In the mean time, please refrain from spreading FUD. To do so is irresponsible, as it creates lots of unnecessary anxiety and tension. If you're going to debate the legitimacy of Steam, then please, at least use factual, non-circumstantial, non-anecdotal evidence. "Bad stuff happened to me when I used it" does not qualify. However, a link to a policy, technical analysis of the program's interaction with the OS, or analysis of network traffic would be very informative.
    ^^^
    This, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post

Np steelclaw. i got some facts for you to back me i rarely speak with out some facts backing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Wow, the tinfoil hatting going on here.... Oi.
    Tinfoil hats ... how can you be that naive

guess its time for a screen shot showing you Valve has Job post for Data mining

It is not your typical standard data mining but its easy to go from 1 seance of it to the other .
    But advertising Istaria on Steam and making it available through Steam will give us a LOT of publicity which we sorely need.
    This i FULLY AGREE WITH we do need a shot in the arm with our population but there are other ways of doing it like i have been trying to do.

EDIT: BTW, don't believe me?
    Not in the least see screen shot taken from valve
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    Please pay attention to the thread comments: quote from Velea: There is nothing that even remotely suggests that Steam would be used to access the game.

Well good, because there is no way I could run steam and istaria at the same time. It is all well and good that some people don't have issues with having steam running in the background, but some of us do. My little lappy isn't state of the art and steam makes me lag way too much while its up and I've got a large game going. So I'm quite chuffed to hear we'll still be able to log in without steam. Its good that istaria gets some face time, and i don't have to lag to do it.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post

guess its time for a screen shot showing you Valve has Job post for Data mining

It is not your typical standard data mining but its easy to go from 1 seance of it to the other .
    Could you post the link to the site so others could go there and take a look at the job description?

[QUOTE=lightning claw;289549] guess its time for a screen shot showing you Valve has Job post for Data mining

I agree with you Epion, thank you for putting evidence down and backing me up.
    I guess most of you think I'm nagging or presuming stuff or jumping to conclusions, but putting Istaria on steam so that people can access and download Istaria from steam, I understand you want another window open. But steam can easily access your data base without you and your protective software's knowing. I know that I need to shut up and move on, but I do care about other people's safety in this game, It may seem like I'm a stalker or something but honestly I'm just an individual who cares about people she's never met. Just the way I was brought up.

Now here's a thing, put yourself in other people's shoes, it may seem stupid of weird. But picture yourself in someone's situation where steams taken that person's data and using it to sell products, send you emails and stuff that you really don't want. Now think of what that person might be feelings, Frustrated, confused with how these people or this software got your personal information and how they got your home address, phone number (etc) and maybe worried. When they get this sort of data, who know's what they can do with it. What would you do in that sort of situation, you could feel differently to it or similar.

*shrugs* I'm just trying to get you to understand on what Steam can do right under your noses without your system or you knowing. Yet you can believe me or not, I guess it doesn't really matter anyways...
    Rawr!???

Thread Information