Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blight Update 241

Default Re: Blight Update 241

Machine plots are not silo farms. The silo farm lives next door. In once case I made a tinker plot. 48 T2 silos, a vault, tink shop, small saris house, and a t2 guild hall. It fit, but it was dedicated to a tinker. I had a couple thousand orbs, bars, bricks, cloth, and a few hundred of each of the springs/hinges/gears/struts. I could make a few cargo suits and disks before I had to refill anything. That was the master plot at Mundi if you want to check the size. I have moved, and I forget.

My machine plot in Tobrez had some storage in lieu of walls (T4 and T2), but they mostly functioned as 'working silos' for leveling. The confectioner storage was a mix of storage and working(8 T1 and 3 T2). That one was 90x90, all machines except alchemist which was next plot over. It had sufficient storage for what it was meant to do.

But now, I have 3 plots. One is a machine plot with working silos. 16 T4, 16 T2 and I think 8 T2 storehouses. Another has 30 T2s out back - 5 resource types, 6 tiers. Bunch of t2 storehouses there too. There's 7 silos on the side for specialized storage. The third plot has 8 t6 8 t4 6 t2 down each side. One side has T6-4-2 storehouses down it too. Funny thing is, none of that makes me lag.

I think the thing about the limit is new crafters that can only make T1 and T2 would be most affected. For me, if a T2 can do the job, why should I have to build a T4 or T6?

I guess I would like to see multi silos too.
    Just my opinion.
    Blight: Kaylee, Marynah, others
    Guildmistress, Crafters of Blight
    Chaos: Demmona, Bankshot, others
    Co-Guildmistress, Mithril Council

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Well having just experimented with a 90x90 plot. I placed one of every machine available (not including vaults, connies, taverns). Even cramming everything as close together as possible I could not fit 25 of each tier silo (only using tier 3 to 6) and 25 of each tier store house (again only using tier 4 to 6). The plot was an experiment to see if they would would fit and they don't. I would love to see a screen shot of the plot plan from anyone who has managed to design a plot that has managed to build all 25 of every silo/storehouse from tiers 3 to 6 with all machines available for crafting.
    I don't have a screen shot to post but my plot on Chaos is 120x120 in Valley of Repose, follow road SW from landing pad. Its not far, can't miss it (don't know if that's good or bad) lol. It has along with the silos, 13 expert shops, A T1, T2 and Human Guildhouse, a small vault, T1/T2 connies, all built and around 25 T6 storehouses planned.
    Last edited by Smaug; May 16th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.

Whether we as players like it or not, we are getting limits put on plot items. We were asked for our ideas and input into how we could change things and stay within the limits given to us. That means the option for keeping no limits on items like silos, storehouses, tents, and trees is not on the table. The days of filling a plot with 100+ silos of a single tier, and 60 trees of a single type is not going to continue as the option isn’t available. It is time to be constructive with what we have to work with.

It is important to keep ideas and solutions fair and balanced with regards to utility vs. aesthetic plots, as the players involved in both types of plot each have different, but no less equal, crafting preferences. There should not be agreement with adding in new items for utility like storehouses specific to resources or warehouses, while agreeing that aesthetic and fluff items should be stopped. Agreeing to introduce one while agreeing to halt the other is an imbalanced solution to the situation of the limit on silos/storehouses/tents, as such a solution will end up alienating one type of player in preference for another, ostracizing a portion of the player base (which is already small enough), and place importance of one type of crafting over another type of crafting.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

horizons_1368741953.jpg

This is a screenshot of my planning screen on my plot.

68 T4 silos
    11 T5 silos
    18 T5 storehouses
    total of 97

T5, T4, T3 guildhouses
    all but 1 expert shop
    T2 connie and small vault
    a few fluff items

As you can see it is quite possible to put the numbers on a plot. I could do away with the T3 guildhouse and have even more silos, storehouses and the last expert shop.

Please consider making limits for shops to 2 of each type. this way if someone would like to rearrange or move shops around they can build the second shop first before deconstructing the first shop. additionally some players may only have low level crafting skill and may only be able to make one tier or level of shop. if the limit is 1 for each type of shop they would have to deconstruct the shop first before "moving" it or building it at a different location on the plot. the player may also desire the shop to exist temporarily until the second shop is created so that they can have use of that shop to make the second shop.
    Last edited by heavymacer; May 17th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Please consider not limiting number of silos to 25 per tier. reason is i have seen many plots where silos are used for the dual purpose as silo storage and as a castle wall to surround the plot. it look much better to have the same size height silo when using silos to surround a plot and using them as a wall. i suppose different tiers can be used but then there are cases where the crafter may only have skill necessary to make tier 1 or tier 2 silos. also using the same type of silo for the entire surrounding walls of the plot i feel looks best.

I like the idea of multi stack silos for similar resources. also please don't forget the odd number tiers 1, 3, and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    Whether we as players like it or not, we are getting limits put on plot items. We were asked for our ideas and input into how we could change things and stay within the limits given to us. ...
    While increasing the stacks taken by silo, storehouses, tents or other storage building could help with the newly imposed limits, this won't help at all the fluff part. We will still have 100x100 plots with a ton of walls, full floors and a ton of fluff.

UNLESS... Unless you disguise the storage buildings into fluff items. Make a shop then surround it with plants/trees/walls/whatever fluff item that can act like real silos. It sounds sillier than it actually is, imho. I will have no troubles at all to store 7000 mithril bars in a silo that looks like a Poplar Tree. Or to seal my armors in ermetic plastic bags then store them on the bottom of my nice looking pond. You get the idea.

Anyways, the solution is still to look into the source of it. Find what is inducing the lag, what is hogging the resources and find real solutions instead of setting limits. And we cannot really help with it since it really is developer's job.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    UNLESS... Unless you disguise the storage buildings into fluff items. Make a shop then surround it with plants/trees/walls/whatever fluff item that can act like real silos......... Find what is inducing the lag, what is hogging the resources and find real solutions instead of setting limits. And we cannot really help with it since it really is developer's job.
    A fluff item like this would certainly solve the issue 225207804B2A518B5AB02A518B584C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    While increasing the stacks taken by silo, storehouses, tents or other storage building could help with the newly imposed limits, this won't help at all the fluff part. We will still have 100x100 plots with a ton of walls, full floors and a ton of fluff.

UNLESS... Unless you disguise the storage buildings into fluff items. Make a shop then surround it with plants/trees/walls/whatever fluff item that can act like real silos. It sounds sillier than it actually is, imho. I will have no troubles at all to store 7000 mithril bars in a silo that looks like a Poplar Tree. Or to seal my armors in ermetic plastic bags then store them on the bottom of my nice looking pond. You get the idea.

Anyways, the solution is still to look into the source of it. Find what is inducing the lag, what is hogging the resources and find real solutions instead of setting limits. And we cannot really help with it since it really is developer's job.
    Actually I second this idea. This idea saves the problem of space and the issue between silos and fluff. I came up with a few ideas which should only require some recoding to do the job. No new art needed, so that would be less stress on the devs to produce an easy and efficient solution that makes everyone happy.

There are buildings in game that take up alot of space on a plot, but which are rarely placed anymore because normally they have been superseded by newer versions which are smaller on the footprint for a plot. All of the following you will still find in the plot item list.

How to get fluff and a warehouse:

-Human Medium Store. It could easily match with the new vault models in regards to looks. I built a Human Medium Store once because I liked the looks and thought would have storage, only to find out it was just an over-glorified consigner. To say that I was utterly disappointed that it had no storage capability was understating it, because it looks like it should do storage of some manner. It is a perfect model for a warehouse building and could be repurposed for this use.

-If you wanted a little variety as far as races, tiers, or bulk/stack limit go, you could also set up the Sslik Medium Consignment Store, Saris General Store, and Saris Tiny Pawn Shop for this purpose also.

The below listed buildings have all been taken over by the new vault models so this means not only are these buildings not being used but, they could easily be made to have useful purpose again, or deleted to make some room for limits and new plot items.

-The Old Human Vault Storage model. No one really places it anymore because we have new vault models available that take up less space, look better, and contain an all in one for pawnbroker, consigner, and vault keeper. But the old vault model is still in game.

-The old pawnbroker and consigner building models, tiers 3-6. Same reason as the old vault model. They take up a massive footprint on a plot and would make an excellent warehouse model. Tiers 1 and 2 are still quite commonly used for their nicely compact size.

-What is the purpose of the Human Gambling Dens? Do they actually serve a purpose in game at present? This is one I haven’t built, but if it has no purpose then it too could be repurposed as a storage building.

The idea for using fluff items for storage may sound silly but I think it is a good constructive idea. This idea actually makes really good sense for some resources.

-Baskets, (all types) could be used to store food items in.
    -Basket of Laundry and Basket of Laundry, Empty could be used as a resource specific silo for fabric resources
    -Trees such as the large leafy green variety could be used as a resource specific silo for wood and tannins
    -Boulders could be used to store stone and gem resources in it.
    -Human Shopkeeper's hut can be used to store metal specific resource items in it. (On a slight tangent: That building really looks like it should have an anvil and blacksmiths set up in it.)

That said, why has no one picked up that there is an item which could be truncated from game and give the silos a boost in their limit without hurting any of the fluff items? The Storage Silo is the same as a t1 silo. It could be taken out and the 25 limit for that item could split between the other silo types to make them a limit of 30.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    -What is the purpose of the Human Gambling Dens? Do they actually serve a purpose in game at present? This is one I haven’t built, but if it has no purpose then it too could be repurposed as a storage building.
    AFAIK, the gambling dens only purpose is a money sink, I have played around with it a bit, but I've never recieved more than I've spent, so it's just there to throw away those extra golds and silvers you have.

Please consider at the least changing the footprint of the odd tiered silos to be the same as the even tiered ones. Would be really nice also if could have description of whats inside each without opening. I know can edit a file and have it show just for you, but is every update wipes it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Please consider at the least changing the footprint of the odd tiered silos to be the same as the even tiered ones. Would be really nice also if could have description of whats inside each without opening. I know can edit a file and have it show just for you, but is every update wipes it I think.
    The odd teired silos are fatter than the even teired; hense the slightly larger footprint.

But that's a good idea! (and with that i can make a few more suggestions...*goes into suggestions section of forum*)

how about a sliding scale based on the area that a plot actually takes up it could be something like this.
    50x50 (2500) can have 10 silo/storehouses of each tier and 10 of each tree
    60x60 (3600) can have 15 silo/storehouses of each tier and 15 of each tree
    70x70 (4900) can have 20 silo/storehouses of each tier and 20 of each tree
    80x80 (6400) can have 25 silo/storehouses of each tier and 25 of each tree
    90x90 (8100) can have 30 silo/storehouses of each tier and 30 of each tree
    100x100 (10000) can have 35 silo/storehouses of each tier and 35 of each tree
    and so on?

110x110 (12100) can have 40 silo/storehouses of each tier and 40 of each tree

how about a sliding scale based on the area that a plot actually takes up it could be something like this.
    and so on?

No... Leave Silo/Storehouse amounts alone!!!!!!!!!

If we have to have item limits... Somehow making a flat number per plot with no regard for the size of the plot doesn't seem right. 25 of something on a small plot looks more impressive than 25 of the same item on a large plot. Why are we pitting the crafters who want silos against the crafters who want a forest?

One of the most wonderful plots I ever encountered was called Heart's Ease and it was so full of trees you could get lost in there. That plot was taken down when the player downsized their sub number. But the current talk means they will never be able to recreate that plot if they should find more time to play again. This makes me sad.

I understand the dev's point of view with the additional new housing items something has to give. You can put more tiny items on a plot than larger size ones, and all the nifty fluff items are on the smaller side.

From the player's point of view the wonderful new plot sizes suddenly aren't so great with the proposed restrictions looming.

I like many of the suggestions that have been proposed, equalizing the footprint of the even and odd teir silos, yes please to looking at the footprint of palm trees, having some storage in machine buildings, multi use silos, trees that can double as storage, to name a few. My suggestion would be if item limits for plot are a mandatory, how about doing a limit of what a plot can hold scaling with plot size. If a plot can hold X number of items and the owner wants 80% of those items to be trees or 80% of those items to be silos does it really make a difference?

What is Riddle Solver augmentation, has been fixed to no longer take up a Gift slot and no longer uses an asset. I've tried going back and reading several of of the past updates and don't see anything about it. I've asked ig also and nobody seems to know or at least not responding to my questions.

Smaug

and so on?

This might be a bit more fair.

I'm still hoping jman and expert shops themselves can have a bit of storage added. Small stack count but larger bulks, something that could replace say 5 silos. Say 5 t1 silos worth of bulk for jman shops, 5 stacks, the total bulk shared by the 5 stacks. It's not a huge amount but it would eliminate the need for 5 silos. If the typical master crafter has what, 10 shops, that replaces the need for 50 silos. The silo limits would be a welcome compromise to get this imho.

I really dislike arbitrary limitations, such as games that opt to make a projectile disappear after a set distance rather then just allowing the projectile's arc to be the (naturally) limiting factor. A silo's footprint should be its limiting factor, not some arbitrary number.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Thread Information